1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Christian Philosophers/Theologians

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Augustine_Hippo

Augustine_Hippo Fapstronaut

Hello everyone, I am new to nofap and this group!

I didn't really know what to write for a first post so thought I'd just share with you some of my favorite Christian philosophers and theologians. I'll name 5.

1) John Lennox is a mathematician and Christian who does many talks and debate regarding God. My favorite book of his is called "Seven days that divide the world" which looks into the genesis creation accounts.

2) William Lane Craig is a Christian philosopher who has traveled the world debating atheists and other religious groups defending the Christian faith. He can be found at reasonablefaith

3) Edward Feser is a Catholic philosopher who has written extensively on Aristotelian-Thomistic metaphysics and I highly recommend his book "Five proofs for the existence of God".

4) Joshua Rasmussen is a Christian philosopher who specializes in 'existence' and contingency arguments for God. He has a great youtube channel called "Worldview design".

5) Alvin Plantinga is a perhaps the worlds best known Christian philosopher and he has written extensively on many subjects including arguments for the existence of God, the rationally of the Christian worldview (properly basic beliefs) and much more!

If you would like to recommend any philosophers or theologians please feel free to. Also feel free to discuss their ideas and arguments here :)
    Would love to interact with some people on these subjects. :)

Arnuld likes this.
  2. SAL_VI

SAL_VI Fapstronaut

Wow , the famous Augustine of Hippo. Never in my lifetime would I imagine having you here

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    mrtumnus likes this.
  3. Augustine_Hippo

that made me chuckle :)

I chose the name as Augustine struggled with lust so thought it was fitting.

4. SAL_VI

SAL_VI Fapstronaut

Yes! So true!!!! I haven’t read confessions yet but I know he dealt with it.

5. Welcome to the fight of your life! Please feel free to reach out any time for encouragement and support.

6. Augustine_Hippo

I've only read bits and pieces. I find Augustine quite hard to read but may try again at some point. Do you have any favorite Christian philosophers/theologians?

7. Augustine_Hippo

Thank you :)

8. jk243

jk243 Fapstronaut

You should check C.s Lewis and Ravi Zacharias

Augustine_Hippo and Tao Jones like this.
  9. RAB

RAB New Fapstronaut

"Lord, make me chaste, but not yet." - Saint Augustine of Hippo

mrtumnus and Tao Jones like this.
  10. yangcern

yangcern Fapstronaut

Haha I have yet to read the Confessions yet but it's on my list!

Here are some of mine:
    1. CS Lewis- an amazing thinker whose philosophical writings I enjoyed more than I liked Narnia, but my absolute favourites of his are his very raw and personal A Grief Observed (a personal journal he wrote after his wife died) and the little-known novel Till We Have Faces, his last fiction work.
    2. Henri Nouwen - A very gentle thinker who eventually really did walk the talk and spend the last of his days looking after an intellectually disabled man. His best-loved book is called Life of the Beloved
    3. Tolstoy - His political/spiritual tract "The Kingdom of God is within us"
    4. Dostoyevsky - It is said the Russians did their philosophy in novels and this guy is the prime example. The Brothers Karamazov is a masterpiece of theology as well as story
    5. NT Wright - Really smart thinker with some really clear thinking
    6. Simone Weil - A philosopher of the first order who also put her faith into action. I like Gravity and Grace and Oppression and Liberty

I'll probably think of more in a while but here's just for a start

11. seraphim64

seraphim64 Fapstronaut

Gregory the theologian of the 4th century. Born in the year 329. He wrote some good stuff!

Augustine_Hippo likes this.