1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Relay Challenge [30 days] -- starts when we have 15 willing souls

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by letter, Oct 27, 2019.

1. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    I had an idea for a challenge and I would like to try this out with everyone here :) What I am thinking is to do something that is a little bit like a relay race.

Ideally, everyone will be in groups of 3. As each team member checks in, they count their progress towards their team's total. If they successfully abstain, they add points. If they relapse, they subtract points. This way it would be a little bit like a relay race as each team member updates their team's score, kind of like passing off the torch from person to person.

I want to gear the point structure to incentivize longer streaks:
    Each successful day in days 0-3: 1 point
    Each successful day in days 4-7: 2 points
    Each successful day in days 7-14: 3 points
    Each successful day in days 14-30: 4 points

A relapse in days 0-3: -1 point
    A relapse in days 4-7: -3 points
    A relapse in days 7-14: -7 points
    A relapse in days 14-30: -20 points

The longer you go the more points you can earn & also the more costly failure will be.

If you'd like to participate, please sign up. Form your own teams as you like. Whoever isn't in a team will be automatically and randomly assigned to one. Teams of two multiply their score by 1.5 to match the point value of a team of three.

What if we can't check in every day?
    Just check-in when you can and add the points of all your days together. So, for instance, if I didn't check-in for the first 5 days and was clean for those 5 days, when I did check-in I'd add 7 points (1+1+1+2+2) to my team's tally.

Is each "successful day in like 14-30" just for everyone regardless of if they had to start back at 0 on their own counter from a relapse the previous day? Or would that only be for people that have legit been on a streak of 14-30 days, etc.?
    Everyone, regardless of their counter, starts at day 0 in this challenge. I'll update the thread's title regularly so those who are coming in on their pre-established streaks a way to see where they are along the point system.

Participants
    1. @StraightEdge3616
    2. @010010010100000101001101
    3. @Harpy

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Coffee Candy likes this.
  2. Creative idea, I like it. But what if we can't check in every day? And I think rather than us create teams, you as the creator should form them for us or make it random, etc. And is each "successful day in like 14-30" just for everyone regardless of if they had to start back at 0 on their own counter from a relapse the previous day? Or would that only be for people that have legit been on a streak of 14-30 days, etc.? Basically I'm just confused if each category breakdown is for the challenge as a whole during the 30 days or based off each individual's own performance streak.

I guess I'll be the first to join!

letter likes this.
  3. letter

My Journal
    Good questions! I'll update the OP to reflect and answer you here as well.

What if we can't check in every day?
    Just check-in when you can and add the points of all your days together. So, for instance, if I didn't check-in for the first 5 days and was clean for those 5 days, when I did check-in I'd add 7 points (1+1+1+2+2) to my team's tally.

And I think rather than us create teams, you as the creator should form them for us or make it random, etc.
    I see the pros and cons of this. Because this isn't about winning, but rebooting, I'd rather give people the option to choose their own teams because this kind of thing can be easier to do with people you already have some camaraderie with. Also, this can prevent bad cases where I may accidentally join a team of people together who don't like each other...

And is each "successful day in like 14-30" just for everyone regardless of if they had to start back at 0 on their own counter from a relapse the previous day? Or would that only be for people that have legit been on a streak of 14-30 days, etc.?
    Everyone, regardless of their counter, starts at day 0 in this challenge. I'll update the thread's title regularly so those who are coming in on their pre-established streaks a way to see where they are along the point system.

Basically I'm just confused if each category breakdown is for the challenge as a whole during the 30 days or based off each individual's own performance streak.
    I hope I've cleared everything up? Good questions btw, thank you for asking them.

I guess I'll be the first to join!
    You're in first. You can tell all your friends you were the cool guy who noticed the trend first :cool:

4. Thanks for the reply but still seems to be some confusion on my questions.

What I'm asking is let's say it's Day 6 of the challenge. (Successful Day 4-7 of the challenge for 2 points). But let's say someone relapsed on Day 5. If they proceed to beat Day 6 would they earn 2 points or just 1 point? (Successful Day 0-3 of the challenge for 1 point).

Also, I disagree on the team part still. If you allow people to choose their own partners, you could have teams that are consisting of 100+ streaks rather than some diversity which makes the challenge harder for everyone. (For example, have one team member with a 1 day streak, one with a 90 day streak, etc.). Maybe it's a better idea of just randomizing the teams.

Lastly, I was under the impression you were going to keep scores as the creator? I think it wouldn't work well if each person creates their own scores. As long as they just tell you their statuses, days they relapsed, etc. I think it's much easier if you are in charge of everything and makes it less likely that numbers will be skewed, etc.

letter likes this.
  5. letter

My Journal
    They’d go back to day 0 and only earn 1 point, but also lose 3 points for a relapse on days 4-7.

I understand your disagreeance. There’s no perfect way to organize something like this. I’m going to err on the side of letting people have fun with their friends. I’m not into the spirit of competition. There’s no prize to win here except the same prize we are all after. I’ll encourage diversity in the teams, but I still believe that letting people choose for themselves is the better option in the long-run.

Maybe next one I do will be different, right now I just want to see how this goes rather than try to make it perfect for everyone.

The whole counter thing is done on the honour system anyways. If someone wanted to skew their numbers they’d just not report their relapse and there would be nothing anyone could do about it.

If I had to be in charge of everything I’d simply not make a challenge. It’s not too much to ask for people to update their own team’s scores. This also makes people look out for their teammates to keep them checking in and participating. The last challenge I was in, some of the best teams were relapsing but they forget to report because they completely forget they were even in a challenge.

If I shift the responsible for the score updating to each team, it means they have to chase each other around and keep each other accountable. It solves a problem I saw in other challenges. I’m not going to be able to keep track of dozens of people on a daily basis, but on a daily basis, each person can look out for their 2 teammates.

It’s transparent enough that I can check if a problem comes up. If someone is abusing this, they’re out.

6. I suppose I could join. I'm joining all of them challenges haha, more motivation the better! I don't have a team though...
    I don't have any friends lol... :oops:

Anybody up to be my teammate?

7. letter

My Journal
    You’re in :)

If you can’t find a team, I’ll join with you and drag someone else in with us. But if you’d like to be placed with other people who didn’t find teammates that works too.

8. Sounds good! :)

Coffee Candy and letter like this.
  9. Brother Eagle

Brother Eagle Fapstronaut

10. @letter this is what I was afraid of. I don't really know others here either, which I suspect will be the case for a lot of people which makes picking teammates kind of difficult. Also, the point system can be a little difficult to understand which is why I don't believe us keeping track of our own points will work, which is why I suggested only you doing it so it's correct.

But whatever you decide.

letter likes this.
  11. letter

My Journal
    I'm going to delay starting this until we have at least 15 people.

Will make updates to OP later for better clarity of how this will work :)

Coffee Candy and Brother Eagle like this.
  12. Nice idea, Letter!

I'll join :+) Who wants to be my team mate when it starts lol

Brother Eagle likes this.
  13. Brother Eagle

Brother Eagle Fapstronaut

o
    me !:emoji_slight_smile:

Coffee Candy likes this.
  14. I will be a willingly soul then :)

Coffee Candy likes this.
  15. Count me in. This sounds interesting. :)

16. @letter are we not going to do this anymore since we can't get enough participants? If not, I'm going to unfollow the thread and move on? I noticed you aren't even updating the members list of those that have asked to join from like 10 days ago.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  17. belio123

belio123 Fapstronaut

Im interested in joining

18. letter

My Journal
    Thanks for the mention, @StraightEdge3616. I've been a bit busy lately, I'll update this soon.

Yeah, this is still on. As soon as we have 15, we'll go.

I'll find a way to make things more clear in the meanwhile :)

19. @letter so are we not doing this anymore? Going to remove myself from this thread if not.