1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Update about push ups!!!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Jack1211, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Jack1211

Jack1211 Fapstronaut

Yesterday i did 17 reps of push ups for the first time in my life without even training for it and i wrote a post about it here in the fourms but today the number increased to 30 reps and i am really proud of it ;)

2. apimpnamedslickback

apimpnamedslickback Fapstronaut

3. Very nice. Now make them harder - do diamond or decline push ups, or clap push ups.

Jack1211 likes this.
  4. apimpnamedslickback

apimpnamedslickback Fapstronaut

i feel like that may be a little to advanced for someone who just started doing pushups...

Get_It and brilliantidiot like this.
  5. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Honestly I'd work up a little more before trying the variations, maybe get to 40 or 50.

Edit: Especially the clap pushups, wait on those or you'll just bust your face.

Get_It and Kakarot_2694 like this.
  6. The most muscle growth occurs in the 5-8 rep range.

Years ago, I used to do about 75 push ups in the standard form. But I was very weak and could not do advanced pushing exercises. Now I can only do 30 push ups with regular form. But I've recently added harder exercises over time (regular > narrow> diamonds > decline > rings > decline rings > supported handstand push ups) and now have the strength to do those harder ones. Anything higher than 12 reps is training endurance not strength. Higher resistance and lower reps means more hypertrophy which leads to muscle growth. If you keep training at the same resistance but increase the reps, you will only increase endurance.

Now I've basically turned this into a fitness thread, which I didn't want to do.

T-72 M4, dethly and brilliantidiot like this.
  7. brilliantidiot

I agree, if we are talking about powerlifting. However, you aren't going to get strong doing 5 pushups.
    I mostly agree, but there is one point I can't let slip.
    It simply is not true that you don't get stronger, only more endurance, if you do more than 12 reps. Strength and endurance are not that separate. While its true that higher reps will train more for endurance and lower reps train more for strength, it is not true that the op is as strong as he will ever get by doing regular pushups. That's demonstrably false.
    I agree that the op should eventually graduate into more difficult variations, but I stand by my original position, that he should not try clap pushups on the 2nd day ever.
    How much did you weigh? That's pretty damn impressive for not being able to do the variations you listed. You could do 75 regular pushups but not a single diamond pushup? I'd like to see your form tbh.

8. But if you do 5 reps of a very difficult type of pushup for 3 - 5 sets twice a week, then you will get stronger. It's similar to adding weights. What I'm saying is that once you've made it to the max of your desired rep range for a certain movement, progress to a harder movement (or a heavier weight). If you aren't failing at 5-8 reps then yeah, no gains. But if that rep bracket puts you at failure, then you will see gains. I'm beating a dead horse but this is mostly to help OP understand.

I agree. I shouldn't have said that there are no strength gains for doing high reps.

9. brilliantidiot

Nothing to disagree with there. I just don't think that the first day is a good time to start clap pushups.

Get_It and Jack1211 like this.
  10. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

Dude, start doing pull ups. Get on my level.

brilliantidiot and Jack1211 like this.
  11. Jack1211

Jack1211 Fapstronaut

Sadly my weight is an obestcle, i also have problems in my biceps and back but anyway i will add it to my routine when i reach my goal weight, i have a pull bar on my apartment though.

Get_It likes this.
  12. Great work, you should aim to feel what you felt when you wrote this, every day. Just do things that bring that about and life turns amazing.

13. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

How much do you weigh bruh?

Jack1211 likes this.
  14. RamboErecto

RamboErecto Fapstronaut

Good performance so far brother!

Remember to do any exercise you like in 3 series. Repetitions should be between 8 and 14.

So, is better for you to do 4 sesions of 10 push-ups than 17 in a row. Also after a few series the body will feel more confortable doing exercise at that moment and will let you go further

Keep the good work, I will do abs now!

Get_It and Jack1211 like this.
  15. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

16. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

Also, for weight loss, get out there every day and work up to 5 miles if you're a beginning runner.

Jack1211 likes this.
  17. Jack1211

Jack1211 Fapstronaut

91 kgs. And i was 105 before a month ago which means that i lost 14 kgs in the last month... Yes its considerd unhealthy in most cases, but not in my case becauae i feel really energetic and healthy and i don't feel any muscle loss or weakness at all.

18. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

Good job dropping the weight. Keep training breh!

Jack1211 likes this.