1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Sex is Useless (The Philosophy Thread)

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by blademaster87, Nov 11, 2019.

1. blademaster87

blademaster87 Fapstronaut

Sex is pretty useless, isn't it? I mean, isn't it a shame how we are primitively guided by our bodies to just waste our vital energy with some woman - and eventually have to raise some fucking kids in this forsaken world? I think a saint once told me that. Anyway, does anyone agree? Also, some good reads on the subject of abstinence would be appreciated (preferably by some samurai or bad ass greek philosopher dude).
    Cheers!

2. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

S1.png

S2.png

3. ALEX_88

ALEX_88 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

4. blademaster87

It's funny but it's true.
    Sexual transmutation for life. :cool:

5. blademaster87

I was looking for older stuff but apparently Friedrich Nietzsche wrote this:
    The reabsorption of semen by the blood is the strongest nourishment and, perhaps more than any other factor, it prompts the stimulus of power, the unrest of all forces toward the overcoming of resistances, the thirst for contradiction and resistance. The feeling of power has so far mounted highest in abstinent priests and hermits (for example, amoung the Brahmans).

6. Well no, it's for reproduction...
    Maybe. Or maybe it's a challenge to make us stronger and help us evolve. If everything would just be given to you with no self control, discipline or hard work required would that even be of any real value at all? Material and immaterial things alike?
    So... you think life is pain and suffering, and we better off extinct? Aren't there any value in life?

laserfish30 and Leader of ME like this.
  7. blademaster87

No, actually, I don't think there is any value to this life other than what you make of it. That being said, I'm unsatisfied with my material being and feel like I need to transcend this humanly shell, but until then, guess I'll have to be content in fighting my own nature.

8. Hesychast

Hesychast Fapstronaut

What a wonderfully nihilistic post- I like it :)

I think the value of sex/procreation is purely subjective. Some value the act of raising a family, others the idea of celibacy and contemplation.
    Have you read much of Hindu philosophy? The Upanishads yield some amazing insight into the practices we call NoFap, I'm also finding that there's a lot of Christian philosophy based around abstinence/ascesis which really resonates with me.
    The Philokalia is a collection of parables and philosophy attributed to the Desert Fathers which advocates dispassion for the world and promotes deep contemplation in quiet places. It speaks to me so much that I decided to refer to the practice of silent, inner contemplation in my username on here.

I can't claim to be proficient in the art of inner silence at all, I am a deeply flawed human being, but the contemplation of the practices of ascesis as defined by solitary contemplatives in far away places is forming the basis of a philosophy which, confusingly, actually makes me more inclined to be an active member of society. It's also nice to have some profound wisdom to reflect upon which challenges the notion of 'the meaning of life' amounting to nothing more than procreation and the acquisition of currency.

9. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_fUAlkgbh.jpg

10. blademaster87

I can relate. I find that lately I've been realizing my place in the world through peaceful solitude. Once I was desperate in need of "feeling happy", chasing mostly material things, but now I think that was a goal that society had burned in the back of my mind, something never really mine.
    Appreciate the response, good luck in your spiritual journey.

Leader of ME likes this.
  11. Davidphd1866

Davidphd1866 Fapstronaut

You mentioned you'd like to see from the ancient philo people.....here you go:

“Which is recorded of Socrates, that he was able both to abstain from, and to enjoy, those things which many are too weak to abstain from, and cannot enjoy without excess. But to be strong enough both to bear the one and to be sober in the other is the mark of a man who has a perfect and invincible soul.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

12. blademaster87

Excellent Davidphd1866. I've been wanting to read the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius for a while now, his stoicism seemed like an amazing philosophy. Apparently the stoics aimed for moderation instead of abstinence.

13. That's where you're wrong, kiddo.

Billions of years of evolution, and this is what natural selection came up with. We are just too complex to reproduce asexually.

No

I've seen Musashi mentioned in this community. My favorite Greek philosopher is Diogenes.

Cheers, buddy. Stay strong!

Leader of ME likes this.
  14. blademaster87

Well, I can't say I am wrong if I see no real utility in the reproduction of our species beyond the inevitable fear of ceasing to be, don't you think?

15. Nothing matters once we consider large timescales and approach the heat death of the universe. Why bother doing anything then?

16. Life is suffering and only liberation is death? Be right back, gonna get my handgun...

Leader of ME and PeskyAlien like this.
  17. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

You are one of those people who don't clean themselves after they go to the bathroom, aren't you? "I can't say I am wrong if I see no real utility in wiping my a** beyond the inevitable fact that I will take a crap again."

18. Ok, I'm back. I got it and it's loaded. @blademaster87 where are you man? Come here!

19. blademaster87

I'm not a pessimist anymore, life is just beautiful. Changed my mind. :D

cr7da8055 likes this.
  20. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_874.jpg

Chan.png

Leader of ME likes this.