1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Emotional problems?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Meirelles the III, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Meirelles the III

Meirelles the III Fapstronaut

I've been thinking about the relation between my relapses and my current emotional situation. It seems that my last relapse showed me this. What do I do, focus on emotional improvement or proceed to quit PMO first?

Edit: I guess doing both is the solution. But should I give more emphasis to emotional improvement?

Asgardian36 likes this.
  2. Yes, definitely do that. It took me a long time to understand the saying that "PMO is not the problem, it's a symptom", but I think I finallt get it.

Since I started my therapy sessions I realized that PMO is just a tiny issue in the bigger picture.

By focusing on the real problems I am (1) focusing less on PMO, and thus less tempted to relapse and (2) I know I'm doing the right thing by trying to tackle the real problems that caused me to be a PMO addict in the first place, so the feelings of anxiety, guilt and shame are diminishing and I feel less tempted to PMO. It's a sort of virtuous cycle.

Imagine someone trying to drain the water from their basement in the middle of a hurricane: it's not gonna stop the flooding, just minimize the damage for awhile. You can fight your PMO addiction all you want, but if you don't fix the underlying issues that cause your emotional unease, you will eventually relapse imo.

3. Meirelles the III

Meirelles the III Fapstronaut

Wow, it all makes sense now. Many thanks for the advice! It sure was helpful!

Optimum Fortitude likes this.
  4. REDBULL3

REDBULL3 Fapstronaut

5. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

well said, brother!

6. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

I'd put 60% effort on emotional improvement. (i don't know what exactly it means to you....) But for me, it means to work hard towards my goals and feel the sense of accomplishment. and 40% on avoiding PMO (getting accountability partner, avoiding triggers, calling a friend when urges are strong, believe me, my heart was beating fast when I went to a massage parlor, thankfully it was close and I called an AP speaking to him calmed me down, or I was gonna go to another one....)

Optimum Fortitude likes this.