1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

2. Because of being away from home I lost track. But I will continue and count the days from now on.

Philosophical_Dad likes this.
  3. Philosophical_Dad

4. Philosophical_Dad

I haven't exactly been killing this challenge. But it's still made my life better. Even staying off screens at night two of every three days makes a difference.

That being said, I want to raise the difficulty level. I've noticed that I have a tendency to get on my computer first thing in the morning and that this leaves my wife alone with the baby. The baby is sometimes pretty grumpy in the morning. Also, it's part of her regular routine that I take her on a morning jaunt. When I'm not around, it seems to increase her morning grumpiness. And that can make life really hard on my wife. So I now also want to stay off screens from 4:30 a.m. until I'm fully dressed and prepared to leave the house with my daughter (for example, her water bottle is full, there are diapers in her changing bag, etc.):

No screens
    A. after 6 p.m. or
    unless:
    1. it's to meet a next-day deadline that was set by someone else or that I set before 6 p.m.,
    2. it's for a legitimate, in-person social purpose, such as watching a show or movie that my friend or wife suggested we watch,
    3. it's video chatting with a close friend or relative,
    4. it's looking up directions in Google Maps, or
    5. it's using Instacart to order groceries or track a grocery delivery.
    If I use a screen after 6 p.m. for any of the above purposes, then I can use screens only to advance these purposes. I may not open tabs, windows, or apps that do not contribute to the purpose for which I'm using the screen. For example, if I'm working to meet a deadline, every tab, window, or app I open must help me meet this deadline.

And no screens
    B. after 4:30 a.m. until I'm fully dressed and prepared to leave the house with my daughter
    unless:

1. I'm not taking my daughter on our morning jaunt that day,
    2. It's to check the weather, or
    3. It's to check Google Maps.
    If I use a screen after 4:30 a.m. for any of the above purposes, then I can use screens only to advance these purposes. I may not open tabs, windows, or apps that do not contribute to the purpose for which I'm using the screen.

Force Majeure likes this.
  5. Philosophical_Dad

6. Philosophical_Dad

7. Philosophical_Dad

0/30

Staying off screens in the morning, until I'm dressed and ready for the day, has been another big help. What a great challenge this is.

Unfortunately, last night I worked late and watched some YouTube as I did so. That seems to be a consistent problem. Back to 0.

8. TangoTao

TangoTao Fapstronaut

i stayed today off screen from 4am to 2pm of waking hours, plus overnighter,
    i find it important to keep it within some limits, otherwise... things are not so good

but i can't find consistent hours at it, is it ok to participate just by reporting
    from time to time about delimiting the screen time "on the fly"?

0/30

9. I am not sure what you’re asking, nor what problem you’re trying to solve. Could you elaborate it a bit? Would help me to give you a proper reply. Normally I encourage people to modify challenges if that increases their probability of success. :)

10. Philosophical_Dad

11. 11/30. A few minutes after but nothing serious.

12. Philosophical_Dad