1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

30 Day Healthy Food Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Philosophical_Dad, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

In this challenge, you state, as precisely as possible, your own daily goals for healthy eating. You can add a cheat day per week--that wouldn't break your streak. But it all has to be defined precisely beforehand.

As you test out your goal, you might find that you want to revise your goal. That's fine. You can change your daily rules but not "on the fly": you have to write the changes out, in this forum, before implementing them. So, for example, if your original rules prohibited white flour and you change your mind about that, you can't just go ahead and eat white flour. First, you have to change the rule you wrote that prohibits it.

See if you can stick to your goals for 30 days!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  2. Philosophical_Dad

One reason I created this thread is that there's some research showing that "strict diets" (e.g., 0 sugar) are less effective than flexible diets (e.g., limit sugar to some amount). I also find that strict diets can put stress on my social life. Some of the other nutrition threads might be great for some people but too strict or anti-social for others. This thread lets you set a goal that works for you nutritionally, socially, etc.

So here are my daily goals.

I have to know that I'm following each of the goals below. If I eat something I'm supposed to limit, but don't know how much of it I ate by the time I go to post in this forum, then I haven't met my goal.

• Six standard days and one treat day.
      • Standard Days:
    1. No more than 15g of free sugar per standard day. (Definition of free sugar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_sugars )
    2. No more than 10 pieces of processed snack foods (chips, pretzels, crackers, salted nuts, Cheetos, etc.) per standard day.
    3. No fast food on a standard day.
    • Treat Days:
    1. No more than 120g of sugar (the amount in a slice of cake without ice cream) per treat day.
    2. Nore more than 10 pieces of processed snack foods per treat day.
    3. No more than one fast food meal per treat day.
    I plan to carry a note pad to record anything that counts against any of these limits.

ShockTheSystem likes this.
  3. Philosophical_Dad

4. Philosophical_Dad

A couple additions to my goals (italicized):
      • Standard Days:
    1. No more than 15g of free sugar per standard day. (Definition of free sugar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_sugars )
    2. No more than 10 pieces of processed snack foods (chips, pretzels, crackers, salted nuts, Cheetos, etc.) per standard day.
    4. At least 10 eight oz glasses of water/smoothie.
    5. At least two servings of vegetables. (Definition of a serving of vegetables:https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/add-color/fruits-and-vegetables-serving-sizes)
      1. Note that three (or four or...) servings would be preferable but I'm starting modestly.
    6. At least two servings of fresh fruit. (Definition of a serving of fresh fruit: https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/add-color/fruits-and-vegetables-serving-sizes)
    • Treat Days:
    1. No more than 120g of sugar (the amount in a slice of cake without ice cream) per treat day.
    I plan to carry a note pad to record anything that counts against any of these limits.

5. Philosophical_Dad

0/30

I managed to stay off the junk and eat my fruits and vegetables yesterday. But I didn't drink 10 8 oz glasses of smoothie or water. In fact, I tried to drink lots but still only got to six or so. That tells me that I don't need too much--I shouldn't need to force water in when I don't want it and am not thirsty at all. So I'm going to revise my goal to six 8 oz glasses of smoothie or water per day.

6. Philosophical_Dad

More realistic water goal (italicized):
      • Standard Days:
    4. At least 6 eight oz glasses of water/smoothie.
    5. At least two servings of vegetables. (Definition of a serving of vegetables:https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/add-color/fruits-and-vegetables-serving-sizes)
      1. Note that three (or four or...) servings would be preferable but I'm starting modestly.
    6. At least two servings of fresh fruit. (Definition of a serving of fresh fruit: https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/add-color/fruits-and-vegetables-serving-sizes)
    • Treat Days:

7. Philosophical_Dad

1/30

That water one is still super hard for me. I don't know how anyone does the recommended 10-12 glasses. Maybe I have a small stomach or something.

8. Philosophical_Dad

2/30

Still struggling to drink all that water.

Today's obviously a treat day: Thanksgiving. I'll have one piece of cake or pie.

9. Philosophical_Dad

Back to 0/30. Didn't drink enough water yesterday. I'm going to reduce the required amount (italicized):

• Standard Days:
    4. At least 5 eight oz glasses of water/smoothie.
    • Treat Days:

10. Philosophical_Dad

0/30

Didn't eat enough veg yesterday. It can be hard when going out for dinner, especially at a Mexican restaurant. It's all meat, cheese, tortillas, white potatoes (which I don't count as a vegetable for nutritional purposes). So I'll have to start planning to eat more veg before going to a restaurant, going to restaurants that at least have some kind of healthy vegetable side dish, or making a special request of my server.

11. Philosophical_Dad

12. Philosophical_Dad

0/30

Temptation overcame me yesterday. I ate half a serving of apple pie after I'd already met my sugar quota from a glass of wine.

13. Philosophical_Dad

14. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I like this challenge. I am - like so many people - ~20 lbs overweight, I drink far too much coffee and I eat too many sweet treats - at least 2 per day most days. I am using MyFitnessPal to track my sugar/calories/etc so one of my goals for this 30 days is to log everything into MFP (at least 6 days out of 7).

p.s. I'll be starting this tomorrow morning as I have eaten like a pig today :)

• Standard Days:
    1. Log all food/drink and exercise into MFP. Keep to adjusted daily limits for calories (2010), sugar (75g) and fat (67g) [n.b. I'm aware that fat isn't necessarily bad while 'dieting' but since I have gallstones and fatty liver disease, I have medical reasons for wanting to keep my fat intake as low as possible!]
    2. No more than 2 coffees a day (0 would be ideal but I am starting modestly)
    3. At least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables per day
    4. At least 6 glasses of water per day
    • Treat Days:
    1. Day off food/exercise logging
    2. At most one of either: restaurant meal or takeaway, cafe for cake/sweet treat, or two alcoholic drinks
    p.s. since one of my stated goals is weight loss I will be weighing myself once a week here. Starting weight is 171 lbs. Target weight is 154 lbs (11 stone in British measurements).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  15. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

All food logged and within (adjusted) calories limit. I did go slightly over for sugar and fat though. 2 coffees and 5 servings of fruit and vegetables.

6 glasses of water - this was the most challenging part, even a mere 6 glasses. Perhaps I am overeating because I am thirsty. Once I have attained my target weight maybe I will simplify this whole challenge and simply drink more water!

Philosophical_Dad likes this.
  16. Philosophical_Dad

Welcome to the challenge! I like your goals. Looks like a good balance of ambition and achievability!

Yeah, that six glasses of water is tough, eh? I've seen some research suggesting we should drink even more than that. I just don't believe. I feel like just six is making me piss non-stop.

If you find anything that helps with the fruit & veg or water components of your challenge (which are very similar to my goals), let me know. I'm always down for new tips.

2/30

17. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Thanks. I typically drink a glass of water on waking and then 1 per meal (x3), and 1 mid morning 1 mid afternoon. Seem to manage to get through it that way. Still a good glass or two more than I would drink 'naturally'.

As for fruit/veg - I typically eat a fruity breakfast (banana and berries or apple with yogurt) and then I will eat boiled veg with my dinner, or stir fried veg and/or I have a salad at lunchtime. You can get through 5 fruit/veg in two meals easy, then don't need to worry so much for the remaining meal. Personally, I avoid juice and smoothies etc. as it tends to have quite a lot of sugar without filling me up that much. I am only drinking water and coffee for this challenge (on 'standard days', at least).

18. TangoTao

TangoTao Fapstronaut

Hi there, i want to put sugar cravings down once and for all, for this i put down some demands on myself:

So here are my daily goals.
    My sets are pretty simple= COMBAT SUGAR AND JUNK FOOD TO THE END
    That is : breads, flour, fruits, sausages, dairy, yogurts, grains go out to the diet
    some onion - but not a lot; its ok to eat wholefoods - nuts and seeds, coconut, almonds etc,
    but even that needs to be limited to some degree, so its "paleo" "para-keto",
    though i don't count calories or carbs, i just stay away from junk-food and sugar overdose.

futher - for the next 3 weeks i also put aside carrot, beets, beans, etc(till end of the year lets say, till 2020)
    • Treat Days:
    0. NOT TREAT DAYS. nope i don't do cheat days - for myself i see that would only confuse me,
    and weaken my resolve, if you want go ahead - but i'll pass on this one.

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf - these list, minus fruit and processed meats
    i keep a printed glossed list in the kitchen containing all the produce i allow myself to eat,
    that is firmly staring at me each time i go to grab some food to keep myself in check.
    i might update it as to the specifics - but roughly that's it - no junk no more!

19. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I ended up going over my calorie goal yesterday. I was actually doing alright until late at night and my wife tempted me with cheesecake - not blaming her at all because I could have said no!
    It wasn't a disaster as the day was still quite good overall. However, rules are rules, so I am back to day 0 of the challenge.

20. Philosophical_Dad

Love the water tip. I'm going to try to remember that.

Regarding fruit in smoothies: controversial topic! I drink a lot of smoothie every day. Mine are about 40% fruit (banana, mixed berries, mango), 40% vegetable, 20% flax seed + yogurt by volume. Michael Greger has a few videos on YouTube that go over the research on sugar in fruit smoothies. I'm of the mind that blending doesn't free the sugars from the cell walls so it remains a "whole food sugar." But I wouldn't pretend to be an expert.