1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

35 and Older Accountability Group

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by artifact, Nov 24, 2018.

1. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

Couldn't disagree with you more. No one's getting turned away at the door because of making mistakes in this life. It's what makes us human, after all.

2. Great advice!

3. With all due respect, I get tired of the Yoda "there is no try" thing over and over on this thread. I don't agree with this at all and it is basically shaming people for having a relapse. In my opinion, this approach is not conducive to recovery. In life and and especially in Nofap there is a whole lot of try. If you are able to always "do" without trying and failing, hurray for you, you are superman. For the rest of us mere humans, trying and failing is a necessary part of life. Otherwise there would be no need for this group.

4. Wolf2019

Wolf2019 Fapstronaut

I think sometimes people need to hear different things to keep on track. One of my kids needs encouragement to try harder getting homework done and not goofing off. Another one needs to be told to chill out and not stress out trying to get the highest grade in the class. Each of those messages is appropriate as long as it is directed toward the person who most needs that message, but harmful when directed at the person who already errs by going to an extreme in that direction.

My legalistic upbringing produced in me a lifelong issue with guilt, shame, anxiety and depression. So for me it has been a journey to accept God's love for me and not to see it as something that has to be earned by good behavior. That has been easier for me to understand after having children. I love my children no matter how many times they mess up. I want to help them not mess up because I want them to be happy and grow into the best versions of themselves they can be. But I love them regardless. To me, beginning to see God in this way is incredible good news that revives my spirit when I feel like despairing.

I don't want to hijack the page or stir up controversy with a religious discussion. However, in my own case, religious issues are at the core of my PMO struggles and the identity confusion I have been working through. At this holiday season, I wish grace and peace to all of you, of any religion or non-religion, who are pondering these kinds of questions.

5. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

I think you are both right. There’s nothing more powerful than the experience of universal love of God. It may be that because of this love we are denied “bliss” until we overcome imperfection with his help.

Many smarter folks in the past embraced this idea. For example, CS Lewis said that the doors of hell are closed from the inside. As soon as they open, transformation and purification will come in.

Dostoyevsky had a proverb about a proud man. He died and became aware of himself in a dry and empty desert as a disembodied soul. A voice said to him, “walk 10 thousand years east and you will find freedom and peace.” He said, “why should I?” And sat down. He sat like that for 10 000 years. Then got up. And started walking east.

We are all loved and we must all put in the work. all must take place in good time. Being able to overcome yourself is a life-long process... or may be even longer.

peace friends!

6. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

And hey, I love yoda. I think his point is that when you do something, do it wholeheartedly. If you fail, that means that a part of you is not pulling its weight. You are not on it completely. You need to figure out why. And do again.

GottaBFree and discovery like this.
  7. alpha.buddy

alpha.buddy Fapstronaut

Yoda could not see the Sith coming, and when Sidious emerged, along with Vader, Yoda fled. I have no respect for Yoda.....just sayin..

Timber and Deleted Account like this.
  8. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

George Lucas should have left it a trilogy lol.

Hi gents... just checking in.

Timber and artifact like this.
  9. OK, you are still in. Maybe drop us a line every once in a while. ;)

10. Right, we are flawed humans since the beginning when eve and adam bit of the fruit. Our nature is to sin, we deserve hell because of the sinful and rebellious decisions we have made, however Christ came to offer salvation from the pit of hell and eternal damnation. Its whether we accept to believe that He indeed did suffer on the cross for us or not which will determine if we are saved from hell or not. I'm not sure if you believe in the Word or not, but its all biblical,

"For God will bring every deed into judgement, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil."
    Ecclesiastes 12:14

11. Right, I agree, it is with the heart, and that is the point I was trying to communicate. I am no exception, I have failed many times and am by no means better than anyone else. Our end goal every time we focus on the goal again should be to 'do' 'accomplish' 'master' rather than always trying.

artifact likes this.
  12. Hey @artifact, I was never intending to shame anyone because I am in the same boat and why would I think I have the right to shame someone when I am on this forum for support myself.

artifact likes this.
  13. All good mate, I respect your point of view. I hope you can understand where I was coming from and I'm sure as a father you want the best for your children just like our Heavenly Father wants the best for us. I'm not coming from a legalistic stance at all, the core of my point was that our hearts should be broken for the Truth which brings repentance and the desire to change once and for all.

Wolf2019 and Timber like this.
  14. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

I dunno.. I don't care what anybody says. I thought Part 3 was pretty good lol. 1 and 2.. eh. But 3 was excellent. Especially the second half where you really see Anakin transform.

GottaBFree and artifact like this.
  15. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

Oh yeah, nothing says “quality film making” more than a 45 minute scene of ewoks celebrating in part 6.

Bottom line: LOTR Is waaay better

16. Circleinthesquare

Circleinthesquare Fapstronaut

Sunday check in. Got to gym this morning - put me in a good mood and hope to get down more often, especially when I'm feeling like a relapse may occur...

17. But how did he get the British accent? ;)

GottaBFree likes this.
  18. parad0x

parad0x Fapstronaut

Monday check in.

Had sexy time with the gf 3 nights in a row. Flatline wasn't instant this time after the first. But by 3rd time was pretty disinterested in sex

An improvement I'm happy with.

Circleinthesquare and Timber like this.
  19. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

You think James Earl Jones has a British accent? :emoji_thinking::emoji_relieved:

20. I'm not sure what you call that, really. Sort of fake-British maybe. But waaayyyyy different from Anakin's voice.

GottaBFree likes this.