1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Videogames are boring now?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by AtomicTango, Jan 10, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I've had this topic on my mind for a while but have decided to post a thread about it because I would love some input on this from others. Its now 2020 and I've been spending a lot of time thinking about 2019, and its kinda hit me how underwhelming the majority of games I played last year were. Then I think about 2018 and realise the same, I have to go back to 2017 and earlier to reach a point where I consistently enjoyed the majority of games I played. Even games I can admit are decent on some objective level, for example Resident Evil 2 Remake, Links Awakening, Outer Worlds etc, didn't hold my attention like I expected they would. It seems like the only games I really enjoy now are either games that are absolute top of the class in their genre (I can replay Resi 4 over and over and still love it for example), or do something that I find to be unique or interesting (For example I loved Control because of the premise, and I liked Catherine because its gameplay was unlike other games). It seems almost like I've become self aware that most videogames are just dopamine traps and now I have that awareness the spell is broken. Or am I wrong, and are videogames genuinely just getting gradually worse? I would love to hear what you guys have to say about it.

pezzer likes this.
  2. i_have_pizza

i_have_pizza Fapstronaut

It's an age I guess. I'm enjoing a lot of games in my 29, last year it was at least Sekiro from the new ones. Also played a lot in Apex Legends. RE2 as u mentioned. Of'course there was dissapointments, like Sinking City, that I didn't liked. In next year Ori will be released, cyberpunk, A.I.M. 3 probably. Want to try also remake of Mechwarrior: merceneries, but need to find the time. Waiting very much for new Half Life.

3. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

There are still a tons of games I want to play. I’m not too fond of modern games like apex,fortnite or wwII that never appealed me, but I do like some old games. Last year I did all the tomb raider originals, not the remakes, and I just enjoyed it so much. It wasn’t all about collectible and success. I also discovered some games that were never officially translated and were really great, like policenauts.

I’m sad that I can’t really play video game. So I watch videos, but that’s not the same.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  4. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

The one in VR looks really good. I hope some other studios will release big games for The platform after that.

5. i_have_pizza

i_have_pizza Fapstronaut

People saying, that some in production currently, because there are millions of headsets sold already and Beat Saber have done millions of dollars and this is inspiring. And they will come this year. But no official announces yet.

6. jk243

jk243 Fapstronaut

PS4 in the house ... somehow I’m enjoying playing 2K20 on my iPhone

7. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

I could replay the Halo, Pokemon and Persona franchises any day.

So, not for me. No.

C12345 likes this.
  8. I haven’t been bored with any of the PS4 games I’ve bought, and the Christmas sale let me buy even more that I wanted. I’ve got games like Kerbal Space Program, Judgement, Anthem, Rainbow Six Siege, Danganronpa, The Division 2, Borderlands 3, SAO: Fatal Bullet and a lot more to keep me busy during off time.

I’m looking forward to new ones Like Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk 2077, Zombie Army 4, Sword Art Online: Alcization, Ghost of Tsushima, Watch Dogs: Legion, KSP 2, and my partner really wants Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Psychonauts 2. I’d say it’s personally subjective, while I think to some extent games were better back in the day we have more options than ever nowadays to choose from.

C12345 likes this.
  9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Wow, so I kept checking this thread and getting booted from the site whenever I reloaded, didn't see any of these responses till now. Dunno whats going on with that, I'll reply to everyone asap.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

This year seems like its more up my alley. I'm particularly looking forward to Doom Eternal, RE3 Remake and Animal Crossing. Also interested to see what the PS5 launch games will be.

C12345 likes this.
  11. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm the same tbh, I dont enjoy a lot of modern games (with a few key exceptions) but I can always go back and play older ones. I mentioned already I can replay RE4 over and over but I can do the same with Shadow of the Colossus as well, I played a lot of that to get the platinum recently and other than the annoying time trials it was a lot of fun.

Regarding working on your own game, I know that feel. I went to college and uni to study games dev and it went nowhere and was basically a waste of time, because I realised about two years in that I hated it but was too stubborn to just quit it.

12. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm not familiar with a lot of phone games, what is 2K20?

13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Well thats the thing, I can replay old games, its newer ones I have the issue with. They dont seem to have the same pull they once did. That isnt to say I'm not looking forward to some games this year.

14. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

Yeah. We grew up.
    I'm a man now.

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I mean, I guess, but I dont think its just that. I'm sure there will be people older than either of us who dont have the same problem, and we are both still fairly young all things considered. It just sucks that this hobby I really liked has stopped being as engaging I suppose.

16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

This year is definitely more interesting for me than the last couple have been. I personally hope to finally see Metroid Prime 4 or the rumoured Demons Souls remake that I'm almost convinced at this point is real.

Deleted Account likes this.
  17. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

Not all years are same my dude.
    A 4 year time skip from 14 to 18 is much richer in change than a skip from, let's say, 45 to 49.

To add to that, we've been part of the gaming generation ever since it blew up. It has been our childhood. We have gotten acclimatised to this stimulus much more thoroughly than guys who held a PSP in their hand for the first time as teens. For them, it's a novelty they got a chance to appreciate since they lived without it as well.

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Yep thats a very fair point.

19. I can't stomach games anymore. My brain refuses to accept the simplified reality they contain. Same goes for most movies and TV series. Music also seems plain and repetitive. Seems like people do change with time after all.

FellatiousD and FreakoWeirdo like this.
  20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

This is what I'm kinda referring to when I say a lot of games are dopamine traps. You play too many and you get desensitised to the effect they have, and I feel like I'm reaching a point where only 1 out of every 10 games is actually worth my time. I would hate to reach a point where none are. I dont experience the same thing with TV, movies, music or reading, just games.