1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The better books that you have read

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Jaspe22, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Jaspe22

Jaspe22 Fapstronaut

Hi fellows, I'd like to know the title of any book that has seem very interesting to you, or has helped you to achieve an improvement in your life, or simply it has a very good story.

Please explain why you like it and I'll gladly take the time to read a synopsis and if I like I'll read it, thank you

2. revolutionary1

revolutionary1 Fapstronaut

"As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen. It's a quick read, and a very good one too. It's about how your thoughts affect who you are and your success. I used to hear people say that your thoughts affect who you become and I would think that it was bullshit. But this book explains it so cogently, I am convinced it is the truth.

3. Jaspe22

Jaspe22 Fapstronaut

Wow, sounds very interesting. I'll read it bro! Regards

4. C12345

C12345 Fapstronaut

Im not an avid book reader at all, but anything Lovecraft, Poe, Stephen King, and the Warhammer Horus Heresy books are insanely good.

Jaspe22 likes this.
  5. Hey, same here. Lovecraft and Poe are two of my favorites

What else? Umm...i read a lot of classics and i would say that Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights were both really good as well as the Sherlock Holmes Stories. Actually Conan Doyle Wrote some horror that was pretty good too.

Jaspe22 and C12345 like this.
  6. Paul69

Paul69 Fapstronaut

Two classics I highly recommend:
    - "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". Funnily enough it is exactly about what it says in the title and much more besides. A book crammed with ideas, which also taught me focus.
    - "War and Piece". Tolstoy zooms in from the minutest detail to the grandest possible scale, it contains scenes of pure romance, political analysis, briliant strategy, idealism bound to fail and much else. A wild and riveting read.

7. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

The Tao Te Ching is a great one. It's one of the sacred texts of Taoism. I would compare it to the book of Proverbs or the Dhammapada. Like those books, the Tao Te Ching has short verses that often contain a lot of wisdom. I'm not a taoist, but I believe that it has a lot of wisdom therein. It's not long; you can read it in one sitting.

Jaspe22 likes this.
  8. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    the secret series by rhoda byrnes , it enhanced my life incredibly ,but you must put your faith in it otherwise your just reading a book lol tons dont beleive in it an chuck in it the garbage an then continue to survive life, ones who believe in the books learn to actually live life instead of just surviving it

Jaspe22 likes this.
  9. Strugglingforyears

Strugglingforyears Fapstronaut

Not a book but I would recommend listening to Stephen West’s podcast Philosophize This. Listen from the start as it explores fundamental human ideas.

Jaspe22 likes this.
  10. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

"My First Caligraphy Book" by [SOMEONE]. It is about caligraphy, very interactive as you have to fill most of the book.

Jaspe22 likes this.
  11. The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Probably my favorite book of all time. It's about a teenage boy, Charlie, who struggles a lot with social anxiety and the like. Although the book doesn't explicitly say this, a lot of people think he was written to be autistic, and as someone with an autistic nephew, I definitely felt that way as well.

The book is written as a journal, from his perspective, and it's just brilliantly done. It's such a beautiful, heartwarming story that made me cry so many times. The writing style is really brilliant, as well. Being that it's a journal and Charlie is interested in being a writer, his writing style improves over time throughout the book, and he uses certain words a lot, which authors generally avoid doing. But since it's a journal of a teenager, it makes sense, because people often use certain big words over and over when they first learn of them.

It's just really, really well done. A quick read, too. I think I read it all in less than 2 days. It's small, but powerful. And if you enjoy it, there's a movie version as well, and it's actually pretty great too!

Also, fun fact, this book contains my all-time favorite first kiss scene in any movie, show, book, etc that I've ever seen/read. It's so special and sweet. <3

Bretto and Jaspe22 like this.
  12. Breadman

Breadman Fapstronaut

“All the Light We can not See.”
    WW11 about the lives of a Jewish girl and Hitler youth boy. Follows their parallel lives and what happen when they eventually intersect.

13. "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins

Neurostudent, Beetenen and Jaspe22 like this.
  14. Beetenen

Beetenen New Fapstronaut

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I read a lot of books and this one, no matter where I was reading it (on the bus, in the cafe, on a plane) had people stopping me and wanting to talk about it. I'm reading The God of Small Things right now. I am reading paralel a book now about why nations are declining and I am very interested in education and its prospects. I am also interested in solving the problem. I see a lot of problems in the modern educational system of the country, but it is not enough to just see them. Something needs to be done, because everyone can criticize, but essentially all units change. As for assignment, I would advise you to watch thematic videos on YouTube. Video from the TED conferences will be especially useful. In general, the problem of organizing education is the foundation of all problems in general. Also, if you need help, here you can turn to best essay writing service on reddit. You can try that. The company is engaged in writing written works, judging by the portfolio they are doing very high quality.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Jaspe22 likes this.
  15. rob13_

rob13_ Fapstronaut

The Name of the Wind
    Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
    The Illiad and The Oddesy

Jaspe22 likes this.
  16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Recently read a book called Stoner by John Williams. Its a disarmingly straightforward story about a guy who becomes a teacher at a university and it is brilliant, I dont want to say more than that but I highly recommend it.

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

If you like the Iliad I would recommend a book called Ilium by Dan Simmons and its sequel Olympos. Its a sci-fi story about a guy from the 20th century who is ripped out of time to serve the Greek gods. He is tasked with monitoring the events of the Iliad and ensuring they follow the story but as you can imagine things quickly start to happen that I wont spoil here. Really good read, lots of interesting concepts and great characters.

rob13_ likes this.
  18. rob13_

rob13_ Fapstronaut

I love that type of stuff I'm gonna have to get that book. Thanks!

19. Watanabe

Watanabe Fapstronaut

Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

Nothing new here. I like most of his work for the way he so often captures an essence of human nature and the human experience which rings true with my own, how it can so often be fragile, bleak and difficult. I took my profile name from the lead figure in NW, Toru Watanabe. I'm not actually Japanese lol.

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I have that book on my shelf and have yet to read it, but I have read Kafka on the Shore and liked that.

Watanabe likes this.