1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to start going to the gym tommorow, need help with program

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ely6899, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Ely6899

Ely6899 Fapstronaut

As I go through my reboot time, I notice that I have quite a lot of spare time and I really want to fill it with gym and weight lifting, and actually feel good about my body and be more confident and healthy. I began researching what should I do, what to it, calorie balance, diets, learning about myths I shouldn't believe and I am generally looking for it.

But I am still not sure about the program I should build. I am skinny fat and found that for skinny fat people you should bulk with slight calorie intake above maintenance. But I don't know how I should for each muscle or muscle group. Which exercises and how many reps and sets for each of those.

If someone experienced can help me, I would really appreciate if you would help me here or PM, not necessarily building a full program for me, but rather how I should do it myself, what factors I should taker into consideration, and recommending me the best exercises out there.

2. Do you have a discord ? I am at one discord full of people that can help out with diet, training etc.

3. Ely6899

Ely6899 Fapstronaut

I've got discord, but no mic

4. YugenDran

YugenDran Fapstronaut

I do also need help on this topic

5. Submariner

Submariner Fapstronaut

I’m not an expert on this, but maybe you should just go a couple times to look around and tryout a few different things before you really get started?

6. gingeralan

gingeralan Fapstronaut

Take an induction, then get used to going, just use the machines to start with. If you build a routine around covering all the machines over a week, you will start building.

I would recommend as you’re new to the gym, get signed up for the group exercise classes offered, you’ll make some friends and it’ll be an incentive to go, and you’ll start getting some ideas for making your own workouts when you go on your own.

Don’t get too hung up on an actual program until you find what you enjoy or want to work on.

I did this after my divorce and now I’m a regular at the gym, I’ve bulked up significantly and have good body fat and muscle percentage.

Take it easy, don’t push yourself too hard to start with, just going is an excellent start!

7. gingeralan

gingeralan Fapstronaut

As far as reps go, start fairly light, maybe 25(ish) total reps before increasing the weight. But again the group classes give good guidance on reps and weights to use to start with

8. Ely6899

Ely6899 Fapstronaut

Thx for the advice, howevert the gym doesn't offer those kind of classes so I will try to experiment with many of the machines and bars myself.
    Can you also give me advice on how I can progress with pull-ups and tricep dips?

9. https://discord.gg/nsxFvQ

I think this link will expire after 24 hours, lemme know if it doesn't work. Basically its a discord server of one youtuber that posts a lot of educational videos about working out. Discord has good admins that are very eager to help you with anything you need related to working out. Mic is not needed

10. gingeralan

gingeralan Fapstronaut

Pull ups and dips many gyms have an assisted pull up or dips (usually one machine), basically a kneeing pad, the weights you put on actually make it easier to lift yourself. That’d be my start, aim to assist with half your body weight till you can do 50 reps with good form, then reduce weight.

They are a good pairing as they work opposing muscle groups, that is the way to look at it, so if you work biceps also work triceps in same workout. Keeps you symmetrical, and less likely to end up hunched over, too many people just think going to the gym is doing chest flys and nothing else

11. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

As it happens there are a couple of active threads on this board right now having to do with shaping up your body if you're skinny fat. In the one that includes the "bulk or cut" poll I posted a quite long rundown of my 4 phase program that got me to my current 13% bodyfat with a relatively good build at 6 feet and 180 lbs w a 32-inch waist. I'm almost 54 so if you're younger you can probably go at it harder than I did and get even better results. Good luck!

12. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Do starting strength. Don't try and make your own program for a while, most likely you will have no idea what you are doing. Also do not do sets of 50 on assisted pull up lol thats goofy

13. gingeralan

gingeralan Fapstronaut

I’ll be honest it’s what I do, pretty pleased with the results

14. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

You would get better results doing pullups for 5-8 reps. Not sure why you would want to do 50.

15. gingeralan

gingeralan Fapstronaut

Depends what your aiming for, particularly when you are starting, it is safer to do lots of light reps, while you build the stabilising muscles etc.

the op asked for some tips about dips and pull ups so for an inexperienced gym goer it’s worth getting form correct for a number of reps then increasing weight and possibly reducing reps. I am now doing 50 reps with body weight no assistance. If I were to do 8 it wouldn’t work me very hard.

Also, remember when you first went to the gym and realised that it was more difficult to lift your weight than you thought? Its better to encourage people to the gym with some easier stuff rather than say, right, here is Arnold Schwarzenegger body building bible, let’s get going!

just my opinion

16. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Your doing 50 reps of pullups in one set? No breaks and no assistance?

Lol bro you have been misinformed. What the fuck is a stablising muscle. What is your bench, squat and deadlift, bodyweight and time lifting?

17. gingeralan

gingeralan Fapstronaut

I’m just not responding anymore, you sound like one of those foolish keyboard warriors. See ya later loser

18. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Post physique

19. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

Just focus on compound movements, don't bother with machines, for 3 sets of 6-12 reps (for barbell or dumbell movements), going one rep shy of failure, or to failure. You could do full body 3 days a week, or split up your workouts based on muscle groups for a 4 or 5 day split, just don't work the same group twice in a row.
    Here is a list of exercises to try out, and see what you like.
    Green = Compound movements, best bang for your buck, should be prioritized
    Pink = Body weight compound movements, not as effective at building muscle fast but still better bang for your buck than isolations
    Orange= Isolation movements, not vital, good for lagging body parts
    1. Overhead press (Chest, shoulders and triceps, primarily shoulders)
    2. Bench press (Chest, shoulders and triceps, primarily chest)
    3. Squat (legs and lower back)
    4. Deadlift (Entire back and legs, primarily upper back)
    5. Bent over rows (Entire back and biceps, primarily mid and upper back)
    6. Pull ups (Upper and mid back, biceps)
    7. Push ups (Chest, shoulders and triceps, primarily chest (depending on variation)
    8. Dips (Chest and triceps)
    9. Curls (Biceps)
    10. Skullcrushers (Triceps)
    11. Shrugs (Upper back)
    These exercise all have variations which affect what they target differently, and of course this is a small list, you should research the correct form for each exercise also. Calisthenics (bodyweight only) can be done at home and should be considered as well.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020