1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

gym thread... need advice on gym exercise

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by hollyman, Feb 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

i go to the gym 5 time a week 1 - 1,5 hour per exercise

the gym which i exercise is not that great gym with complete equipment.......so sad

and its so packed except Saturday and Sunday

so my plan are
    Monday : rest
    Tuesday : Shoulder and biceps
    Wednesday: Back and Triceps
    Thursday : rest
    Friday : Chest
    Saturday : Leg day
    Sunday : upper chest - shoulder and swimming

is that a good plan / schedule ?

Deleted Account and Espi1971 like this.
  2. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

Not knowing your age, level of current fitness, experience with lifting etc. It looks like a solid plan albeit pretty aggressive unless your body can handle that much volume. I personally have found better results by doing full body sessions vs body part splits, keeping the weight sessions to 3 a week and session times well under an hour and fairly intense (typically 45-50 minutes total with no more than 2 minutes between any two sets). And then 2 of the other 7 days are just abs and/or high intensity cardio (sprint intervals for me... for you these could be your swimming days), with the remaining 2 days being no exertion at all beyond what's required around the house and at work. But I'm also pushing 54 and a prototype "hard gainer" ectomorph so overtraining is really something I have to avoid. I'm just now recovering from a 6 month long shoulder issue caused by pushing too hard. I'd say if you start struggling being motivated and/or you're experiencing ongoing pain beyond the usual day after muscle soreness you might want to dial it back a bit.

Nutrition is also huge but that's a whole nother topic. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Espi1971 likes this.
  3. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

im 28 tho

can i ask you something i was gym for 2 years if im not mistaken
    i can do bench press for 20kg for 10 reps 2 set
    20kg for squat with 4 set
    and just 6kg for shoulder exercise
    ussualy exercise for 1,5 hour per exercise with 15 minute cardio

i do intense workout (5 times a week) for 90 day just as same as my counter on nofap
    the thing's is suddenly i feel my chest is hurt, i was freak out afraid that it was an heart attack symptom

that's the real reason why i asked this, is this normal or i too over train ? or my body can handle it ?

4. untunedguitar

untunedguitar Fapstronaut

Granted that I don't know your physical ability but right off the bat 5 days a week, 1.5 hours, 'intense workout' as you say and for 90 days sounds wayy excessive., even if you also seem fit given that you are able to meet such extremes in first place.

Always be sure to listen to your body and to let it rest enough between workouts. Who would know if you over-train except yourself? And if the chest pain troubles you, you should go to a doctor just to be safe.

Rev2.0, Espi1971 and hollyman like this.
  5. I think it depends at what time you're going to the gym.
    If I go in the morning it is really quiet! Maybe you can try that? Or check out some other gyms and switch whenever you can.

I'm trying this guy his tips right now:
    (upper body)
    (lower body)

Monday: upper
    Tuesday: lower
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: upper
    Friday: lower
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: rest

I really like this schedule, it's also based on science and gives my muscles time to recover because of the resting.
    Also don't forget to watch your diet! You need to eat enough proteins to let your muscles recover and grow.

Espi1971 and hollyman like this.
  6. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Bro you have 2 chest days and you squat 20kg for reps. You haven't even mentioned deadlifting. Educate yourself on a proper program. Look at stronglifts.com.

7. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

actually im little bit scared of doctor but i take your tips and actually rest my body for this week . and the pain is gone and i seem can add some weight on my exercise tho ...seem so paradoxial but maybe my seem body cant endure it yet

doin lower 2 time's a week is one of my want to try but the gym member is not that supportive on guy who train leg. i train leg on sunday morning when the gym is empty. i remember one of dude who doing leg day on regular day being told by other to exercise in bycycle machine so he will have a big butt like woman

but i will watch that, of course i will

thanks bro

haha lol yeps i dont do deadlifting cause no one train me or teach me how to do it. all this time im just a SOLO player. all my friend dont want to exercise at the gym anymore (theire so bussy with instagram and youtube binge) and other dude on the gym have their own squad already and i cant match their schedule. and this gym is the type of modern gym with no one care's with other

so no one benched for me (it caused me afraid to add some weight or break my PR especially with smith machine or dumbbell)

most of the movement i studied on youtube (athlean X and bodybuilding.com)

untunedguitar likes this.
  8. Espi1971

Espi1971 Fapstronaut

@hollyman thank you for sharing your dedication and pursuit of the fit life!

5xs a week/90 minutes is a lot of training. Some will advise that it's excessive, but I personally like training 4-5xs a week, sometimes up to 2 hours per training session, comprising weights, bodyweight exercises (pushups and reverse crunches), and intense cardio.

The only part about your routine that I question is doing chest 2x per week. The only body part that I like to train 2xs per week is back (a larger muscle group): for mid to upper back I like doing pullups, rows, and pulldowns...for lower back I like doing deadlifts, which, along with squats, also target the glutes, the largest muscle group in the body. So I strongly encourage you to learn deadlifts and incorporate them into your routine. I would start with really light weight and repeat proper form. It might be best to do them on weekends, when your gym isn't packed. I suggest reading up on deadlifts via the Internet and youtube videos.

In my opinion DB incline bench press will sufficiently target your upper chest, and do not underestimate the power of pushups.

Wishing you continued success on your path.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    hollyman likes this.
  9. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I hear you on the shoulder issue. My shoulder problems have really put a damper on my chest workouts.

hollyman and Rev2.0 like this.
  10. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

excuses bro.

hollyman likes this.
  11. This is called a brosplit and isn't a good optimal program for any beginner. Look into Push-Pull-Legs type of workout routines or even Full-body routines.

hollyman likes this.
  12. Mike28

Mike28 Fapstronaut

I agree with Mr. Holmes. For me a Pull-Legs-Push-Rest routine worked best. I've set it up this way for various reasons:
    -Pull in the beginning because I like it the least. So getting it out of the way creates a reward (now I get to do the stuff I enjoy). Whenever I did Pull stuff in the end I skipped a lot of workouts.
    -Legs in the middle because it allows my upper body to rest for a day after doing the pull exercises. I struggled with shoulder issues before so I do not wanna work my upper body two days in a row.
    -Push in the end because I enjoy it the most and I deserve doing something I like after all the work I just did.

That all being said I believe you should find the routine you enjoy the most. As long as you enjoy what you're doing you will stick to it. If you like doing the 'Bro-Split' then keep doing it.

hollyman and Deleted Account like this.
  13. A good program for purely strength is the mark rippetoe's program. It consist only on the main big movements: benchpress, squats, deadlift, and if i recall correctly shoulder press. It is really begginer friendly and good for progress. Check it out, maybe it can work good for you, the exercises start with easier progressions so you can put weight without depending on someone to help you. https://startingstrength.com/

hollyman and Espi1971 like this.
  14. Try to incorporate deadlifts, squats, bench presses, shoulder presses and rows (or pull ups) into your routine. These 5 exercises alone hit every muscle in the body.

15. Exactly what Pumpkin said, focus on those main exercises. The rest are just accessories.

hollyman, Rev2.0 and Espi1971 like this.
  16. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

Deadlifts for the win. You'll feel like you're dying but nothing gets better results. Just be prepared you may be horny af afterward so it may make nofap a bit more challenging. Or just be sure you have a gf or fwb cued up. ;)

hollyman likes this.
  17. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

i rarely do push up, what if i do push up on the morning and do exercise at the gym at the night, is dat good ?

never know this, i will search on google for the detailed.. thank you

jeff cavalier ? i will subs on him thank you

no gf yet but yess i will do the deadlift haha im also curious about the horny level tho

i will try this push leg pull exercise, since the bro split did not get me the best result yet

thank you really man

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. Espi1971

Espi1971 Fapstronaut

In my personal opinion it is OK to do them anytime. Doesn't matter to me.

I like to do them at the beginning and at the end of my weight workouts.

On chest and tricep days, though, I like supersetting them with DB Incline press and skullcrushers.

Occasionally I'll superset them with cardio (i.e. jumpropes and pushups).

19. What kind of timeframe are you expecting results in? I don't think you will see sizeable changes before 6 months of hard dedicated workouts and nutrition.

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. emmanuilteleshev

emmanuilteleshev Fapstronaut

I totally agree with Rev 2.0 here. In order to create a plan that is perfect for you individually there are a lot of details that need to be considered. The most important ones are your age, your overall level of fitness and your weight. If you haven't exercised before then following workout routines for beginners from https://inshape.blog/workout/workout-routines-for-beginners/ would be the best thing to do. I am not sure about exercising 5 days a week this way your body doesn't get enough time to rest. This doesn't mean that it won't work, you just need to a correct split as to not overtrain.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021