1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What should I eat before working out in the morning?

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Brave Wolf, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Brave Wolf

Brave Wolf Fapstronaut

I've been working out lately. But the thing is, that I decided that it would be better to work out in the morning, due to lack of time during the day.

So I put my alarm at 5:15 AM, made my bed, and I started exercising (calisthenics). It was no surprise, that I felt exhausted very quick, and one hour later I felt like I was gonna faint, also I almost vomited.

I'm not sure if that happened because my stomach was empty, or because I didn't sleep well the night before, maybe both. But I would like to know what should I eat before working out in the morning to prevent that from happening.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Fallensoldier1

Fallensoldier1 Fapstronaut

You do need to eat some healthy carbs, (complex carbs) before working out, and within a hour or so after working out, eat similar. Complex carbs like first thing in the morning, oatmeal with some fruit would be good, like blueberries or strawberries. And a orange. Eggs, would be great for protein. If you want bread eat whole grain, wheat bread.

Avoid simple carbs, white enriched bread, sweets and sugar, chips, basically junk food.

Especially if you are training with weights, working out on an empty stomach will take a lot of out you for sure. Also obviously make sure to drink lots of water.

Brave Wolf likes this.
  3. Brave Wolf

Brave Wolf Fapstronaut

Thank you very much. I have oatmeal at home but I hadn't think about it's nutritional value before. Thanks again, I will follow your suggestions.

Fallensoldier1 likes this.
  4. Fallensoldier1

Fallensoldier1 Fapstronaut

If you can stay away from the packet instant oatmeal, do. It would be much better to boil your own oats. You could add fruit, cinnamon, honey, or whatever.

Brave Wolf likes this.
  5. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

121g of greek yogurt, 4 blueberries, 274 oats cooked with 143ml of milk in an 800watt microwave for 98201 milliseconds.

We don't have the answers. Find what works for you and do it.

6. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

There is also a school of thought that advocates working out in a fasted state. I.e. if you work out early in the morning then you haven't eaten since the night before, you do your workout without anything in your stomach and then have a big meal right afterward with a lot of protein, some carbs and a bit of sugar to kickstart your insulin production (which maximizes intake of the protein into your muscles). I have compromised between the two... I drink some black coffee laced with some BCAAs about an hour before I work out, don't have anything but water during my workout and then have a smoothie at ~800 calories with high protein and a couple of fruits soon after I'm done. And more BCAAs. If I eat too much before I workout I feel sluggish during. But that may just be me.

And yes, skip the instant oatmeal which is loaded with bad sugars. Best is steel cut oats which take longer to prep but are much healthier. You can buy them in bulk dirt cheap at most co-ops.

Espi1971 and Brave Wolf like this.
  7. Cereal is good too. The milk will add extra fats and protein. I would probably go with something with lots of fibre, like rasin bran.

8. Mike28

Mike28 Fapstronaut

I love to eat oatmeal before working out. I do oats, mashed banana, chia seeds, protein powder, some type of milk and peanut butter but I guess mixing oats with hot water works just as well;)

9. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

Some things that are great to put on oatmeal:

Peanut butter (organic) - lots of healthy fats, testosterone booster. Note: It must be organic or at least high quality. Aldi sells a "Natural" variety I really like. The lower end stuff has hydrogenated oil in it which is one of the worst things you can put into your body. If there's oil on the top when you open it, it's crap. Throw it out.

Honey - in as raw a form as you can get. Tastes awesome of course but also is high in boron which is good for your testosterone.

Raisins - good tasting and good for you.

It will be sickly sweet if you put all these on at once but rotate them or whatever to keep things interesting. I've also put on unsalted sunflower seeds sometimes.

10. if you are NEW to CALISTHENICS, I suggest you limit your workout to about 30 to 45 minutes with a few compound exercises a day. like a day for push , then a day for pull, leg day, cardio day,
    or upper body day, lower body day...
    but it is wise to keep the sessions short because almost all calisthenics work large muscle groups and make you exhausted in less time..

11. young Dale Dan Tony

young Dale Dan Tony Fapstronaut

I would recommend to eat fruits only in the morning. Its light, loaded with vitamins and delicous! It gives you energy but dont get in the way (stomach) while working out, then after the workout get a good meal with some protein.

12. T-1000

T-1000 Fapstronaut

There's no rule book, I can't eat in the morning so I will typically just have coffee or maybe a banana before a workout.

Espi1971 likes this.
  13. Honestly for callisthenics, probably just a piece of fruit or nothing at all. Eat something nutritious afterwards.

Espi1971 likes this.
  14. CRSG

CRSG Fapstronaut

HIGH QUALITY FOODS I WILL RECOMMEND

RAW MILK//(CLABBERED) -------->>>>> "SEARCH GOOGLE FOR LOCAL RAW MILK FARMS
    RAW MILK KEFIR
    GRASS FED MEAT (ORGANIC CLEAN MEAT) FOUND AT FARMERS MARKETS

ANCIENT GRAIN SPROUTED SOURDOUGH BREADS (khorasan wheat (Kamut), farro, einkorn, and emmer, TEFF. SORGHUM, SPELT

ORGANIC POTATOES

RAW HONEY IS COOL, I PERSONALLY LIKE TO CONSUME RAW FERMENTED HONEY

CLEAN "ORGANIC" FRIUT, CAN BE CONSUMED IF ONE HAS A CRAVING >>>> SEEK LOCAL FRUIT IN SOMEONE'S YARD, IT WILL BE THE CLEANEST. SOME FARMERS AT FARMERS MARKETS GROW CLEAN FRUIT AS WELL