1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Reading the whole Bible for the first time

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

Hi.
    So I’m in a bad shape these days first because of health issue and also because of nofap. i don’t enjoy anything, I can’t enjoy movies, tv show or video games (and that’s coming from a guy who could play 8h+ a day).
    then I realized I never read the Bible from top to bottom (I read about 95% of it in my life but not in one go).

So this is my new challenge. reading the whole Bible starting from Matthew (Old Testament after the new).
    I read 16 chapters yesterday and going to continue in few minutes.
    Even if my health gets better (and I sincerely hope) I will still continue.

Deleted Account and Flyhigh like this.
  2. SAL_VI

SAL_VI Fapstronaut

That's encouraging to hear @CodeTalker . May the Lord minister to you through His Word and strengthen your well-being!

CodeTalker likes this.
  3. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

10 more chapters done !

Flyhigh and SAL_VI like this.
  4. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

i think I did for the New Testament but not for the Old. Especially all the prophets.
    I have a Bible with comments that helps a lot understanding some cultural aspect. I actually did few years of seminaries that also gave me a solid background.

Tao Jones likes this.
  5. newman97

newman97 Fapstronaut

I started reading the bible too (with the goal of reading it in its entirety). I finished Genesis and Exodus so far and it has really grounded me well, keeping my goals in sight. I'll say a prayer for you brother.
    God's speed.
    -Newman

Tao Jones and CodeTalker like this.
  6. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

I’m at Luke now. I didn’t start with the Old Testament because I know things can get hard to understand and I needed encouragement.

Tao Jones likes this.
  7. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

I’m reading John now. But couldn’t read more than 1 Chapter today. Feeling down and tired.

Tao Jones likes this.
  8. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

Book of acts tomorrow.
    A bit slower this time but I needed to be focused to understand John. It’s really insightful to read all the gospels, that way I can see the difference more clearly.
    There are also some details that I totally forgot. Like the fact that Jesus healed the ear of the guard.

Tao Jones likes this.
  9. bumperlee

bumperlee New Fapstronaut

Awesome,I have read the bible all the way through,it will change your life.my advice is set aside a time you can read and not be interrupted and dont miss a day or it will become a habit to miss days even if you only read a chapter

10. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

Thanks for the advice. So far I'm reading almost everyday, I never skipped more than one day. Still in the book of acts.
    What I really want to do is spend time in prayer after reading the Bible. To let what I read sink in and reflect about it. I'm also reading a christian book on the side.

I haven't decided of a specific time frame to read everyday and I think it's important to do that. Not too early but not too late so that I'm not tired. Reading like a robot wouldn't make any sense.

Tao Jones likes this.
  11. AndyA

AndyA Fapstronaut

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I decided to do a "Read the Bible in a year" plan. I started January 1st... I read a little each day from the Old Testament and New Testament. I read roughly 4 chapters a day, sometimes less.

CodeTalker likes this.
  12. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

I wanted to do that at first, but in my monde 1 year feels too long. Maybe I will take a year, but not knowing makes it a bit easier. I just read few chapters everyday.

13. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

Slowing down but still at it.
    I finished 1 Corinthians yesterday.

14. I followed the same path as you did. Once I started nofap I discovered God and converted to Christianity, and I've made great progress in the Bible ever since. I've finished the New Testament and have most of the Old Testament done. I recommend you to pray everyday and trust in God's power, this is one of the most powerful ways to overcome your urges. I also highly recommend reading a couple of chapters first thing in the morning, but that is when you are most likely to have urges when you wake up.

I have heard people talk about keeping a Bible verse in mind when you face urges, so if you find a biblical quote against lust and in using the power of Christ I'd suggest using it when you feel like relapsing. My favorite one is Philippians 4:13. May God bless your journey and I wish you the best of luck in continuing the read the Bible brother.

15. Is your goal just to get through it? Or do you plan to enjoy the journey, too? :)

16. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

wow that's awesome, keep going man!

I started a couple of weeks ago, reading the bible from beginning to ending too. Not within a year though, I'm just taking my time and reading some other cristian books on the side. There is this one book which is called "love does". I personally find it an amazing read.

Btw I guess it was a good choice starting from the new testament, I always have so much difficulties reading through Leviticus, tbh I think I never entirely did..

17. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

It’s not reading it just to read it. It’s to learn more about God and praying during this journey.

Tao Jones likes this.
  18. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

i think when I will get to the Old Testament, I will also re-read the New Testament between 2 books.

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. I believe it is a great thing you're doing starting with the New Testament and then proceeding on to the old. I did that when I first converted to Christian from Atheist, and it really cemented my newfound belief in God. It also opened me up to the rest of the Bible as reading the words of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour as well as the letters of Saint Paul were the most eye-opening and impactful things I have read. Blessings and I wish you luck on the rest of your journey. You'll really enjoy the Book of Revelation.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2020
    Tao Jones likes this.