1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

35 and Older Accountability Group

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by artifact, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Rebooter13

Rebooter13 Fapstronaut

Those idiots have become my favorite memes lately :p , take care man , stay safe!

Wolf2019 and artifact like this.
  2. Wolf2019

Wolf2019 Fapstronaut

People have lots of different ways of coping with stress, some that seem kind of silly and ineffectual. Like buying toilet paper. Or doing PMO.

Higher levels of stress because of news and work uncertainties and other people's freak-outs, and being confined more at home is a recipe for relapse for me. I haven't been doing well the last couple of days. At home today, going to get myself organized, limit my news exposure, and be healthy and productive.

Rebooter13, discovery and NICEDUDE like this.
  3. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

Well, gents, lesson learnt!

i M’ed again last night. Age-old feelings drove me to it. Stupid excuses pushed me right into it. There goes my experiment to see if I can M once every two-three months in controlled conditions. My own hubris and stupidity got me here.

Humbly, I accept that I cannot have this in my life. Future me, please stop experimenting and recognize these impulses as tricks!

so, day 1. I am starting it with a focus to get through it without P and M. The next month will be really tough but I got myself into it!

4. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

Tweak this a bit, and I could have written this myself a year ago right about this same time. You weren't in the group yet, but my streak was about where it is now, at 120 days. It was going well, but I thought that I had 'graduated' to the point where I would be fine PMOing once a week, and being clean for the other six days. Everything in moderation was my mindset. It's all documented on this thread in posts from that time. Well.. that lasted about 4 weeks or so. I was sticking to it. Until things got stressful at work and it collapsed. With PMO being fresh and front and center in my mind, it was easy to turn to it for relief. Suddenly I was binging out. And, with my job as busy and hectic as it was, I wasn't getting enough sleep as it was, and PMO further cut into it. It was an extra thing I 'had' to do, as if it were an additional work responsibility. I ended up abandoning NoFap and didn't get back on the program until last fall.

So yeah. Moderation doesn't work. Like an alcoholic saying they'll let themselves drink once a week, or once every 2-3 months, or whatever. No such thing. It's an all or nothing choice, for sure. Well you live and you learn Timber. This may seem like a failure, but really you are learning first hand what works and what doesn't. So despite what it may seem, this is actually growth and progress. Because of my experience last year, I know damn well right now that I am nowhere near the finish line and cannot cut any corners. It's a matter of keeping on keeping on. Good luck bro, today is a whole new day.

5. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

Thanks!just like you, I do not believe in failures. They are just expensive lessons!

6. Circleinthesquare

Circleinthesquare Fapstronaut

7. bold0101

bold0101 Fapstronaut

Checking in. Had a chaser effect slip up Saturday morning. I had an insanely busy weekend to take my mind off it though. Hope y'all are doing well amidst all the chaos.

artifact, GottaBFree and discovery like this.
  9. I agree. The finish line is a long way away and for me, I am learning that it has to be all or nothing. I have experienced what it feels like to "forget" about PMO. I believe that beating this really is simple because all you have to do is not do it. The incredible difficulty is that you have to be vigilant every moment for a long time before your brain won't care anymore.

10. Rebooter13

Rebooter13 Fapstronaut

So , anyone else is under self restrictions orders because of coronavirus?The whole country is like that the last 4-5 days.321 cases so far with 5 losses.
    The situation could be very depressing if someone spent all day following news on the media.I have to change that starting today..
    So far so good , not erges atm , the last time i relapsed, i relapsed out of stubitity.I could easy avoid that.
    Anyway , this thing is gonna last for more than a month and it's like A LOT.I believe it will easy go much more than that though.The next days will show as more about how the situation is here.
    There are a lot of things i can do in my home (i am not married) like play in the yard with the dog , sit on my studio , read a book or play a video game but i don't know if i will share the same opinion ten days from now...

artifact, Wolf2019 and discovery like this.
  11. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

I am going to work until I get it. I work in healthcare. My kids are home from school. They just canceled their big tests for the year. We think they may be home for at least 2 months. Then they would normally have summer break.

I take them to a park where they play without any other kids nearby for a couple hours a day - mostly basketball.

We are selling our house and moving into a new house. I’m nervous the virus may mess that up too. (This was to save money and get a better home setup for some in my family - we kind of need this to work out).

Some family members are battling serious health problems. Some kids are struggling to improve their basketball game. (Daily little stress about things that don’t matter). Stress stress everywhere....

I’m normally a person who stresses about everything but it’s been too much for too long. I’m just looking one day at a time in life as well now. It’s a better way to live when planning isn’t going anywhere.

12. emanuel_free

emanuel_free Fapstronaut

Hi everybody just checking in!

I was looking at the rankings and we're getting climbing up together @GottaBFree and @Freeman82 we have to get to the top! :)

One day at a time !

13. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

Haha Rebooter, I see what you did there with your new avatar. Will Smith in I am Legend. The whole world 'dead' from a virus except for him. Hopefully you won't be the last person left on the planet! Try to keep yourself distracted man. Read a gripping novel, watch a TV series, something where this won't weigh as heavily on your mind. It'll pass, as everything does eventually.

artifact, GottaBFree and Rebooter13 like this.
  14. Rebooter13

Rebooter13 Fapstronaut

Thank's for you support discovery! :)
    The funny part is that i own a german shepard...I am broadcasting in all am freqiencies...I can provide shelter....I can provide food.. :p

Timber, discovery and GottaBFree like this.
  15. Rebooter13

Rebooter13 Fapstronaut

We have to do whatever we can to keep it as normal as posible.Usually i am not easy stressed but the long exposure on news manages to make me really nervous.

You are experiencing it on the front line so for you it must be completely different.Just enjoy the breaks from your job with your family.There are not much to do right now , it will take a while since it will become normal again.As you said this is not the time to make plans.I lost some money from a sale because of the pandemic as well...shit happens!

Wolf2019, discovery and GottaBFree like this.
  16. Pirate3819

Pirate3819 Fapstronaut

Thank you! This group provides a sense of brotherhood. This journey provides your brain an opportunity to find other things that interest you. For example, I get some much joy from reading and learning new information! Now, live music capture my attention in way that I never experienced.

17. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

Breathe in... everyone’s in the same boat... breathe out... I’m not the only one who had to cancel a long-awaited (and expensive) family vacation.... breathe in... this too shall pass... breathe out.... it will be easier to find the time to rewatch the lord of the rings....

Wolf2019, artifact, discovery and 2 others like this.
  18. bold0101

bold0101 Fapstronaut

I got sent home from work today because I am coughing (definitely a sinus infection, but oh well) . Apparently I'm quarantined for 2 weeks. Lord of the rings sounds like a FANTASTIC idea lol, and maybe Star Wars too!

Wolf2019, Rebooter13, Timber and 3 others like this.
  19. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

Haha, yes, my family (meaning me, parents and sister) had two German Shepherds over the years- both white, and both named Heidi, strangely enough. Just keep yours away from the vampires, and he/she will be fine :D

Rebooter13 likes this.
  20. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

Wait.... wasn't Lord of the Rings the one where it was clearly stated, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" ? :eek::p

Well I guess I'll let all of you in on my predicament related to the crisis which shall not be named, but sounds very much like a popular Mexican beer. I work as a tour director for student groups. This is a combination of being a tour guide (showing the sites) and a road manager (managing all the logistics- buses, hotels, restaurants, emergencies, overnight security, etc.) Maybe 80% of my work is in Washington DC, and the other 20% in places like Philadelphia, NYC, Gettysburg and Amish Country. The season is primarily from mid-March to the end of June, and then off and on work in the fall. So I was overseas enjoying my winter, and then came home about 5 days in advance of my first trip of the season. In between the time I left there and arrived here to the USA, this situation kicked into full gear. Suddenly my trips dropped like dominoes. At the moment everything up till May is postponed till later in the year (summer and fall) and I will likely lose everything for the spring season unless this gets fixed fast. If it really drags on, I will lose even the postponement work. So its tough. But, it is the same for everyone in my business. Not only other tour directors, but drivers, hotel and restaurant staff, everyone in tourism at all. I am lucky that I live near a beautiful beach, which is 7.5 miles long. I've been hiking up and down it every day to keep busy and get myself in better shape.

I am always grateful that no matter where I am in the world, no matter what I'm doing or whatever's happening around me, I always have this group (when there's reliable internet, of course). I am forever grateful for your help and support. Whatever Gandalf may have to say, Timber's right in the end. This will pass.

Wolf2019, Timber and artifact like this.