1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus Panic as a Grocery Store Worker

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by yourhomieishere, Mar 15, 2020.

1. yourhomieishere

yourhomieishere Fapstronaut

I work at my local grocery store and I'm suffering from much anxiety and panic as a result. Everyone there is going crazy over the corona-virus, buying everything off the shelves, acting like the entire grocery store is going to close and constantly freaking out about germs. I wasn't very concerned about the corona virus until the paranoia bombarded my work life. I've spent the past two days working there, all 6+ hour shifts. It's getting in my head and whenever I get home I cry and freak out. I worry about all the shelves being empty that my family will eventually not be able to buy enough to get by. I worry that all the soap is going to sell out and I won't be able to clean my hands before I eat. I worry that I won't have anything to eat because it's all sold out. I'm also wicked nervous about getting the virus because the amount of people I see a day at work. I want to be safe and isolate at home but I can't because I'm put on the schedule and need to work. I'm terrified that I already have the virus but just don't have symptoms, but I can pass it onto my family members. My grandma is coming over tomorrow and I'm really scared that I will somehow get her sick and it will be my fault. Now I'm having a ton of urges to relapse to "deal with the stress and anxiety" that I'm having. I know that is fake mindset and I can't deal with it that way.

Ju@n likes this.
  2. Ghost79

Ghost79 Fapstronaut

I think we are all going to get infected at some point, but only the ones who's body is unable to get immune for this virus will die.
    So don't worry and live on.

MikeisMedic_07 likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Fapstronaut

I been in the business myself for yrs and never seen anything like it. First it was the geme killing products that sold out then the TP and water and now the beans and dry goods. The lines are full and the pick up service is busting at the seams...its crazy.
    Im going in today and is suppose to be my day off. Everyone who wants it can have OT. I just shake my head and chuckle because we wont refund thier hordes of products after the panic passes.
    Soon your local stores are gonna have stacks of TP and water all over the place. Take a breath and calm down.

MikeisMedic_07 and Ghost79 like this.
  4. lesterburnham

lesterburnham New Fapstronaut

In the Netherlands the same. But its a logistic problem. 10000 of trucks are driving, but people are hoarding (we call it Hamstering here) stuff. TP offcourse, deep fried food, meat (to freez) etc etc. They are afraid the situation will escalate into that of Italy (lines (distanced) and max of 50 people in shops). But probably not reality. Everything is closed down. Pubs, restaurants, bars, disco's.

Don't panic. In the end people will catch it and will develop mild symptoms (flu-like and after recovery be immune to this virus). But I can imagine days are difficult for you. You are not alone with this.

5. Keep your hygiene standards high and ask people to stay away from your house if you're worried. I don't actually think in the US that supplies will become an issue, there's always online stores if your local ones run out of particular products.

6. What country are you in? Supply chains are strained but may stay stable.

Honestly, getting the virus for you is a real possibility. The incubation period is long, so people don't know they are infected and they could be transmitting it to other people. Unless you want to wear a full body suit to work every day, you're in danger. I'm not you, but it seems like your only option to stay truly safe is to stay home from work? Do you have an emergency fund type thing?

You got this!

7. yourhomieishere

I think I'm taking it day by day, hoping that the store gets less crowded as the days go on. I only work a few times a week. Since I'm a teenager and my parents have a good job that is unaffected by the coronavirus I don't really need the money, but I still have to go to work. I would feel guilty calling the store and quitting my job over this. I think I'm just gonna pray and self-isolate outside of work and maybe the store will make a plan to help make the workers more safe.

Ju@n likes this.

8. I know what you mean man... it helps me to live a vegan lifestyle, and do nofap, i believe both of them are helpful to a strong and healthy body

Taylor25 and yourhomieishere like this.
  9. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Your grandma would be better isolating herself rather than risking infection.

Fork2323 likes this.
  10. Personally, I'd say you might want to consider leaving if you're living with your parents and it's making your life a misery. There's always other jobs available but if you want to stay there just make sure you keep your hygiene levels up, not much else you can do.

yourhomieishere and Ju@n like this.
  11. Half agree with @bluemax4 . Firstly, hats off to you for working, especially as a teen. Also, it is grocery workers like you who are keeping our towns functioning and with food.

You are doing a great duty by keeping the stores running as a healthy teen. But, it is more that you would become spread the disease further, also infecting those who are weaker. However, if you aren't going to work, someone else will just fill your position anyways and spread it. Sorry to say this, but I think that by working outside, you will get it eventually. Basic hygiene only goes so far, and I doubt you guys will be supplied actual equipment to guarantee safety (even hospitals are lacking equipment). Don't want to scare you but I think this is the reality (however, I am just a teen, but I believe that I do analyze my sources for reliability to a good extent).

Have you talked with your family about this? At the end of the day, it is your decision. These are tough times, but I'd choose quickly if I were you. Let me know what you are thinking and if you decide.

Best of luck!

12. Don't worry about the supplies, corona won't stop food production. But you should definitely wear a mask. Saw some shots of crowds of idiot Americans, no masks. That's just begging to catch the bug and die.

Taylor25 likes this.
  13. yourhomieishere

I worked another shift, and it seems like the paranoia of the shoppers has gone down greatly. I left my shift today feeling optimistic and not miserable about this whole coronavirus situation. The customers were way less panicky, and the orders were mostly all small. Not many people were hoarding today like they were on Saturday. I worked 5-close and it had a good amount of people in the first hour but the store got really quiet later in the day. There were only like one or two registers open. It made me feel better because for most of my shift they had me re-arranging the shelves instead of bagging, so I wasn't in contact with as many people. For my hygiene working there, I wash my hands in the staff bathroom before and after during my shift (also before and after a lunch break, if I have a long shift), I also carry around hand sanitizer and do that like once or twice an hour, and when I get home I take a shower right away and put my clothes right in the washing machine, not in the laundry bin or my floor. As of right now, I feel comfortable working there because I know that the grocery store is a necessity and that I still need to save up money for college. (Side NOTE: Everything is still getting restocked in the store, and eventually it will be on the shelves all the time. Basically there are just a few items that are being sold out like crazy because people want to hoard it because other people are hoarding.) I'm optimistic that everything will return back to normal in due time, and it will all be okay.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  14. yourhomieishere

She actually didn't really come over. She dropped off my little cousin for babysitting for the day, I still said hi and love you to my grandma but we kept 6 feet apart.

15. yourhomieishere

Yeah I'm definitely going to stay because aside from this virus situation I love my job. Also, I know every other job is going through the same crap right now, at least I still have a job.

Taylor25 and bluemax4 like this.
  16. yourhomieishere

Yeah as scary as it is, the probability of getting sick is very likely. I've really considered this and I decided to keep on working. The coronavirus isn't a huge death threat to me, as a healthy teen, and it would suck being sick but I know I most likely will be okay. I'm going to keep up social distancing aside from working. I will still spend time with my household family, like tomorrow we're going on a nature walk. I have stopped going to the gym and my friends' houses for the next while. But yeah, gonna keep on working, it'll be okay. Also, the paranoia isn't anywhere as bad anymore. The customers weren't crazy today and I left work feeling my normal self, not out of my mind like the other day.

Ju@n likes this.
  17. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

It sucks, I know. But she is better to err on the side of caution. :)

Ju@n likes this.
  18. Tell a scared person that...

Okay.. Here is the thing. Virus is real, okay. Let's assume that. People get infected. Okay ? But.. man it is all contrary to the spiritual side of life. It is part of the matrix. Is program . Open your eyes. They want our vibrations low .

These are there ways to implement intensified stress, anxiety.. All the big corporations want is sick people, so then can buy stuff that make them sick.

My advice to all is too radical.. But.. live a spartan live. If it requires to die, die on your feet. Put that smile on your face and show everybody, you are a man. Young and healthy and don't buy on their bullshit. We all gonna die. You know that ? You should guys know that they are doing a lot on the low to kill our bodies, spirit and mind. Here is P for example.

Don't buy none of these people made enslavement bull. P, man made food, video games, music, TV, don't be addicted. They want our soul, our health. That's how ultra rich people operate. They invented the technology to f us up. See brothers, this virus is all to create that economic crisis. It is man-made too. People who know it, come to TV and talk to you that they are praying to subside (they the one knowing what it is, why it is) . I heard Italy publicly accused the United States of America of spreading it on purpose. Since I am not much into News and TV I haven't confirmed . But hey.. They all lie .

Tomorrow ain't promised either way.

PREPARE FOR GLORY .

19. Good for you! Keep up the hard work man!

I also stopped meeting up with friends and going outside unnecessarily in general (though I will call my friends). The thing is, we won't see the results of our actions until a week or two later, so just tryna minimize contact so I know I am infected or not soon.