1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise increases urges

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by PIEDSufferer, Apr 2, 2020.

1. PIEDSufferer

PIEDSufferer Fapstronaut

Hello all,

Got back from a good run today (while maintaining proper distance from others, of course). One thing that I’ve always seemed to notice over the years is that a good workout will often lead to an increased sex drive for the few hours following the event. In fact, I used to masturbate often after runs because of this. This got me thinking that a common piece of advice I see a lot is to exercise when you get urges. But I’ve found that it has more of the opposite effect that I’d want if I were fighting urges. Does anyone else experience increased sex drive after exercise? Does anyone know if it depends on the type of exercise (like aerobic vs. anaerobic)? I’ve always assumed it has something to do with endorphin release and increased blood flow.

2. ankith

ankith Fapstronaut

The thing is with what kind of mindset are we approaching a problem, even I've heard that regular exercising makes sex better. But the point is after exercising you have been masturbating earlier, it has been a habit. For brain to get this dopamine, it plays whatever tricks it wants. Firstly when there is change of environment, our brain tries to react to it, like taking rest after a heavy exercise or being in a state of frustration after an argument or being depressed after some sad incident. Everytime a change occurs, our brain wants to go back to the safe haven i.e. our addictions.

There is also another important factor that affects you, since you have had a habit of masturbating after exercise, your brain wants to convince you to give you an another reason to fall back to the addiction.

So trick your brain, deceive it, you have to lie yourself that exercise doesn't give you urges. Good luck. Stay strong

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  3. PIEDSufferer

PIEDSufferer Fapstronaut

Hmm.... I’ve never thought of it that way. I guess I had always assumed it was something purely physiological. But having that psychological component makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the insight!

Control it man and ankith like this.
  4. seaguy44

seaguy44 Moderator Assistant

I had this situation too when I run. What helped somewhat is when I do fast sprints, I purposefully exhaust myself to the point where I couldn't have any energy to masturbate. That can help

5. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

Basically I can count on waking up with raging wood the night after I do anything that taxes my lower body. Sprinting, squats, deadlifts... even just mowing the lawn sometimes. It's inconvenient and uncomfortable sometimes but sure beats my situation back in the day when I drank every night, never exercised and never got hard at all.

Sirwankalot1 and PIEDSufferer like this.
  6. Not at all. I'm so exhausted after exercise that all I want to do is lie down and go to sleep. I don't understand how people are able to exercise before work and stay productive the whole day. If I exercise before work, I'm exhausted, unproductive, and constantly fighting to stay awake the entire day. My guess is people who exercise in the morning before work tend to load-up on sugar and caffeine right after exercise. I think it's the energy drinks, Starbuck's coffee, processed breakfast foods, etc... which spike dopamine and so energizes and prepares people for work, but also exacerbate the urges. I literally have no sex drive after working out, but I also don't replace burned calories with processed, sugary, or high carbohydrate foods. If I did, I'd have strong urges the entire day.

PIEDSufferer likes this.
  7. PIEDSufferer

PIEDSufferer Fapstronaut

I’m definitely the same way when it comes to working out before work. I absolutely can’t do that either. Workouts are an “end of the day” activity for me, for sure. I definitely can’t understand how some of my coworkers go for runs during their lunch breaks.... haha! Isn’t that time meant for eating? Usually after runs, I shower, make dinner (which is almost always whole meats and veggies, btw), then crash.

What’s weird is that my post workout urges don’t involve having a ton of physical energy. Masturbation for me had always been lying on my back. So maybe I’ve always found it to be more relaxing, rather than physically taxing.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. It's possible you may have trained yourself to associate M with relaxing. The neuro-plasticity rule is: "What fires together, wires together." If you always M when relaxing, then feeling relaxed without the M will feel very uncomfortable until you learn to disassociate the two by rewiring.

For me, M is associated with hiding and feeling guilty and nervous because I grew up in a dysfunctional family and whenever I wanted to M, I had to hide from everyone and get it over with quickly so I wouldn't get caught. It's almost like I was committing a crime or something. Because of this training, it's difficult for me to feel tempted to do M when I'm completely relaxed, and exercise helps me relax even more. However, if I'm feeling tense, have to speak in front of a group, have anxiety, or experience nervousness, M starts to cross my mind and I start feeling urges. This M temptation makes sense from the way I formed the habit over many years.

k3muthomi likes this.
  9. Sirwankalot1

Sirwankalot1 Fapstronaut

How old are u if u don't mind. I'm trying to get fitter. Regular skipping and squats. 2 weeks no PMO. But rarely get morning wood. I'm 30

10. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

I just turned 54. 6 feet 180 lbs and measured at 13% bodyfat a couple months ago. I do interval sprinting twice a week and another 2-3 days a week I do the basic compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press) with free weights at either medium weight / medium reps or heavy weight / low reps. I'm not as strong as I'd like to be and I'm an ectomorph (hard gainer) so I have to be careful to eat enough and not overtrain. I also refuse to do testosterone replacement therapy so I'm never gonna look as ripped as those over-50 dudes on YouTube but I feel decent about how my body is looking and working at this age and I still manage to get some looks from women every now and then.

At age 30 you should be hard enough every morning to split your shorts unless you are PMOing to a ridiculous degree and/or have a testosterone deficiency (the two can be related).

Feel free to DM me if you want any ideas on workout regimens and/or diet. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  11. seaguy44

i'm curious to know why you refuse to do testosterone replacement therapy. Our testosterone when we age decline naturally. Just curious on why? I'd love to hear your reasons :)

12. Stag99

Stag99 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Lower body exercise increases my urges to relapse pretty much every time.
    Sometimes i’m in the middle of a long hike and i start getting flashbacks from p videos.
    But if i keep going until i’m exhausted, the fantasies die down.

I don’t know if it’s the increased blood flow to the groin area, or dopamine / testosterone release caused by the exercise, but it does happen to me as well - like clockwork.
    And i don’t think it’s psychological.

13. Urges are 90% mental and 10% physical (I know it's my broscience). Usually it's your mind craving it's fix because of boredom and escape from whatever other issues are going on in your life.

14. Stag99

Stag99 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Nope.
    Couldn’t disagree more.
    All things being equal i’ve gone 2 weeks without any exercise and the urges to relapse are almost zero. Once i start exercising again, the urges hit hard.
    Happens too regularly to be a coincidence.
    Also, others on this forum have commented on the relationship between certain kinds of exercise and an increase in urges.

15. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

Very fair question. When I first started getting serious about Nofap was about 3 years ago. I was almost 200 lbs, way out of shape, no sex drive at all and drinking pretty heavily. And PMOing 2-3 times a week. I had my T tested and it came back in the high 200s. My doctor said that was "perfectly fine"for a man in his early 50s and I didn't need to do anything. Well it turns out that number may be "within range" but that does NOT mean it's fine and I knew as much from how my body was looking and feeling. (Many traditional doctors are hopelessly out of touch with men's health issues but that's a rant for a different day.) So I radically reshaped my diet, and got back to lifting weights which I hadn't done for 30 years. I dropped to about 165 lbs which was too skinny and have now recovered to what looks and feels good for me which is 175-180. I haven't had my T tested again but I am certain I've increased it significantly just from these lifestyle changes and some supplementation (maca powder, tongkat ali, ashwagandha). At the same time I researched and realised how much my PMO and especially long edging sessions were messing up my hormones and took pretty drastic steps there as well.

Why I've stayed away from TRT is because I don't want my body to become dependent on that and quit making its own. If I'm ever in a situation where I can't afford it or don't have insurance to cover it I'd be SOL. I have no problem with anyone else doing it but it's just not for me.

I should also disclose, re the morning wood question, I'm married but currently in a situation where there's no sex with wifey due to some medical issues w/her. If I were releasing with her on the regular, my MWs might not be as frequent or intense as they are, whether I were exercising or not.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  16. Your blood circulation increases . So your horniness increases . Libido .
    The question is: Is it urge to fap, or to have sex? Cause it is different. Is it an urge to watch P, or to be in a woman ? If it is P, then the problem is within your head and you probably getting some kind of feeling when exercising (overworking, self-hatred, some negative emotion).
    If you wanna have sex with a woman, congratulations, you are man .
    So ? One righty said. I am better with having always wood in the morning than never having at all .

Right questions, lead to right answers . Much love .

Sirwankalot1 likes this.
  17. Sirwankalot1

Sirwankalot1 Fapstronaut

Thanks for the response. I haven't had morning wood in a bout a week now. The last time it was very brief. I read something about flatlininh as I have been PMO free for a bout 15 days now. But not even had a twitch down there. If I'm honest it gets me very scared. When I had a sexual partner I could go at least 4 times in a day. Now my libido is useless. How else would I know if I have low test?

18. Sirwankalot1

Sirwankalot1 Fapstronaut

Please share these with me. I need urges. I feel as if my dick is dead!!!

19. seaguy44

Do you have real exhaustion? fatique? low energy? Those are good signs of having low testosterone. Every man needs to get his T level checked. Mine was from 300 to now 600 - ish. It could be better. Having low testosterone affects a lot in your health. Get it checked :)

20. seaguy44

I agree. Sometimes you know exactly what you want like when it's an urge to fap or a urge to have sex. I think when the urge to have sex is more common than the urge to fap, then that indicates a very healthy sex drive. If a man has an urge to fap more than an urge to have sex, then my guess is that the sex drive needs some work. That was true for me. I used to have strong urges to fap, low urges to have sex. Now with being isolated due to the quarantine, my urge to have sex is VERY HIGH compared to the urge to fap (which I still have, but not that high)