should i lift weights?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Unworthy_cuber, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Unworthy_cuber

Unworthy_cuber Fapstronaut

Im 16 currently on NoFap, and i want someone qualified to talk with.
    I stand 5'8 and i wanna increase it to 6'0 so should i lift weights, will they decrease my height growth?
    And also how to increase height ?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Rev2.0 likes this.
  2. Should you lift weights? Yes but make sure to warm up and practice proper form. There are several apps for phones that can help you with a routine. When I started out I had a friend help me and his routine was a three day split (chest,back,legs)
    Chest day includes front delts and triceps
    Back day includes lats traps read delts and biceps
    Legs include quads hamstrings calves then finish with some abductor/adductor work
    The skeleton strategy was start with a heavy compound lift, a secondary compound lift then isolation lifts.
    Finishing up with core work(abs, obliques and lower back)
    This strategy paid off big time for me in the first 6 months of my lifting life.

If you have any question please feel free to message me, I can go into as much detail as you may need.

CodySCali, Unworthy_cuber and Rev2.0 like this.
  3. matt2k12

matt2k12 Fapstronaut

absolutely not!
    you can workout and exercise but u should not go up with weights, u shouldnt do a muscle building split training as it definitely will affect your bones. wait 3-4 years then you are safe for a bodybuilding routine.
    also height growth is genetic and inherited, nothing u can do about it except provide your body with the nutrition it needs.

Unworthy_cuber likes this.
  4. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

16 is absolutely NOT too young to start with weights. Here in the U S thats the age of a 10th or 11th grade boy in high school and believe me, if you're serious about sports at all you're already lifting by that age if not sooner. I started about age 15, with a basic barbell and dumbell set and a homemade bench. I knew 1% then of what I know now about what excercises to do and about nutrition... and was fapping 4-5 times a week so was working against myself on several fronts... but still made physique gains quickly that were noticeable enough people commented.

As for height, sorry my friend but that's a total crapshoot. You get what you get and it's largely genetics. I was 5'9 at age 14 and everyone thought I'd hit 6'2 at least. Turns out I only made 5'11 when I graduated high school and topped out at a hair under 6'. Meanwhile a guy a year younger than me finished his junior year 5'8 and came back after summer vacation at 6'2. And my younger brother made 6'3 so even the height gene can be selective. Weightlifting will neither hurt nor help your height. Fapping, though, could hurt it as it tends to affect your posture which would make your perceived height shorter.

The advice from @Discerning_Dubearte is on point. Start there, start light but work up as often as you can, don't fap, and you'll be fine.

5. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

Oh yeah and really get wise about nutrition. Research how many calories a day you need to support your training and become familiar with macros which is the proportion of calories you should be getting from protein, carbohydrates, and fats. The typical U.S. diet is short on quality protein and way too high on unhealthy forms of carbs and fats along with salt. Learning how to cook for yourself, if you're in a position to do so, will give you much more control over what you put in your body, will save you a lot of money, and chicks dig it, too.

6. Mike28

Mike28 Fapstronaut

Hey man
    Don't worry, you will always hear people say that you are too young to lift weights. That is just one more myth in the world of fitness. Does it cause more harm if you do the exercises wrong? Maybe, I don't know about that, but if you play it safe and don't lift weights that are too heavy, you will be fine. Just start slow, focus on proper movement and then increase your lifts.
    Enjoy your journey ;-)

Supination and Rev2.0 like this.
  7. Yea its never to early to start lifting (or to late). Heavy weight lifting (3 rep maxish) will increase bone density, which is a good thing. However, sleep and nutrition are key. Plus, all those things will help mentally. I havent lifted in awhile (or eaten or slept very well either) and i can tell a big difference. Just dont burn yourself out, with whatever you do. Mark Rippetoe is a good resource in the beginning, Starting strength is his program and its worked for a hell of alot of peoplejust starting out in the weightlifting world... including me.

Keep at it and youll be deadlifting 405 in no time!

8. goodnice 3.0

goodnice 3.0 Fapstronaut

9. Yeah I started lifting seriously when I was like 14 and I'm the tallest out of my brothers.

CodySCali likes this.
  10. Unworthy_cuber

Unworthy_cuber Fapstronaut

whats your height and i have a pair of dumbbells is that okay to start with those?

11. Lifting weights does not affect your height.

(Unless you are lifting 300-500 Kg or something superhuman like that).

Now back to what you wanna start with...
    • Learn basic strength exercises like pull-ups, squats, deadlifts, military press, dumbbell bench press etc.
    • Do 2-3 exercises only per workout per body part. (Don't be the fool who does 7 different exercises for his biceps alone.)
    • Eat well.
    • Follow a lot of good fitness channels like Scott Herman Fitness, Alpha Destiny, Omar Isuf, Fitness FAQs, Calisthenic Movement, Alan Thrall etc.
    • Don't overthink stuff. It takes years to build a half decent physique and decades to build an exceptional one.
    • Simple stuff works wonders.
    • There is no magical routine or plan or coach or supplement.
    • Focus on your sleep and flexibility. Flexibility will save you from potential injuries.
    You will learn along the way. This process never stops. The moment you stop learning, and trying to improve, is the moment you get on the road for injury and setbacks. So be humble, be patient, and be disciplined.

12. Mateo89

Mateo89 Fapstronaut

I am a certified personal trainer and ill state this:
    Lifting stunting your growth is a myth and ridiculous, don't listen to anyone that tells you that. All you need to be concerned about is getting enough nutrition, sleep. For better proportions take up a vertical sport like basketball, volleyball, swimming.

Mateo