1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is HIIT better than cardio for weight-loss?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Hros, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I was only vaguely aware of HIIT until a couple of weeks ago, when I heard that short HIIT workouts a few times a week burn more calories than cardio. Does anyone know if this is true? Any experience?

2. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

I don't know if interval sprinting counts as HIIT but I have found that to be the most effective complement by far to weight training in keeping my muscle to fat ratio where I want it to be. I'm an ectomorph who has to lift and eat my ass off just to maintain my ideal weight of 175-180 lbs at 6 feet tall... so I don't need to get skinnier and so long bouts of treadmill running, jogging outside or biking are the last things I should be doing. Those are called steady state cardio and in moderation they can be helpful but if you overdo they increase cortisol in your body which is the mortal enemy of testosterone... so it's crucial you keep those in balance.

Also keep in mind it's about more than losing weight. I see plenty of guys who hit all the right "numbers" as far as height and weight (e.g. 5'10 and 170 lbs) still look like crap... skinny arms, chicken legs and a gut a.k.a. "skinny fat." And a lot of those guys are spending hours a week on steady state cardio. So just do your research and don't be afraid to experiment until you find what works for you. There are some tried and true principles but no magic formula that works for everyone. You're asking the right questions and that's a great start. Good luck!

Hros likes this.
  3. DuckofDeath

DuckofDeath Fapstronaut

In a nutshell, yes. Any sort of interval training with high intensity intervals and rest intervals will yield good results for fat loss. They pair very nicely with weight training. Sprint intervals are a favorite for those trying to gain muscle while staying relatively lean.

I think HIIT/Tabata training is actually a lot more 'Do It Yourself' than people might think. You can do sprint intervals in many much any type of cardio: running, rowing etc. If you have an exercise bike you can apply sprint intervals to great effect, just increase the resistence, and then do 30 second 'bursts' where you go all out, following by 60 seconds at a more moderate pace. Rinse and repeat.

Part of the downside of some HIIT programs is the injury rate. Whenever you're implementing a new fitness routine it's important to listen to your body.

Hros likes this.
  4. mk.brb.ddshvc

mk.brb.ddshvc Fapstronaut

I try running and doing intense calisthenics at home. I say I try because I haven't been able to run every day and train every other day. It's very energy consuming and while I am on caloric deficit, it almost seems next to impossible sometimes.
    So if you fall in the same situation as I did, don't try to maintain intensity or you might get injured. Prioritize weight training over cardio.
    HIIT vs running or other cardio exercises is better in weight loss but that's because it's so much more intense. So if you are up to it and cardio gets boring and repetitive, do HIIT.
    On the other hand, running every day, in the morning, reaching your goal every day is a fantastic feeling. Running in itself isn't just exercise. It's very calming and refreshing activity so I would still recommend running.
    Also, if your main goal is weight loss, your best option is intense dieting. Remove sugar, lower carbs, increase protein, try intermittent fasting. Most of your energy and willpower should go in here.

Hros likes this.
  5. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Is it important in any way to attempt to do a longer HIIT session every time, like in running when trying to run faster/longer?
    Yeah, I agree. Last year I ran a lot, until I got a knee injury that sadly hasn't completely healed yet. Will probably need some sort of physical therapy.
    As I've basically gained all weight I lost last year, I'm looking to try new options that won't worsen my knee.

6. mk.brb.ddshvc

mk.brb.ddshvc Fapstronaut

Just like every exercise increasing intensity once you get in the comfort zone is needed, but improving your HIIT session time every workout seems tough. My advice would be just to stick to one program and do the whole session, but when you are on the limit, just skip repetitions or do easier variations of movement, take a small break and go back at it again. And know that it won't be linear increase. Some days you will be super tired, other days you will be fresher. I was doing INSANITY workout program back in a day and to measure your progress they had fit days, not regular exercises. And on those fit days you would have to do as many repetitions as possible. Seemed to be quite comfortable way of measuring progress to me.

Hros likes this.
  7. Greg Doucettte said moderate intensity steady state cardio is better.

HIIT may be highly taxing.

I found this useful.
    Also, Caloric deficit is the key.

Hros likes this.
  8. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Even 15-20 minutes a few times a week (which is what I'm doing now)?

9. watch this

14:25(time stamp)

It's a bit harsh .

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2020
  10. It's answer to the main question also.

If you don't know who this Greg Doucette is, Do your research. He is pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2020
  11. Mateo89

Mateo89 Fapstronaut

That is largely a myth and a marketing gimmick. Best way to lose weight is steady state cardio, as it burns more calories in the long run.

Mateo

Deleted Account likes this.