1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The social media minimalist challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Hi folks,

Many times I happen to check NoFap, facebook and whatnot just to see if I have any notifications. When realising I don’t have any, I close the tab and I’m done. Was that really so important? Or was I just seeking for a small dose of dopamine? Probably the latter!

Challenge is simple: For 30 days, whenever you enter a social media website, you have to post something, otherwise you’re not allowed to enter. Also, you need to know what you’re going to post before you enter the website (we don’t want to encourage reactive behaviours here).

Something for you? Join the challenge!

0/30

2. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

It's always wise to limit social media. But for me, sometimes it's difficult. I mean, In some cases it was easier to quit it completely. If you think you will struggling to limit your usage, perhaps quitting it works better for you too.
    I have almost zero activity on social media since a long ago, It's only one or two messengers and it's because I have friends there.

3. Thanks for your thoughts Hadrian3, always appreciated. I’m not addicted to social media so it will not be a big struggle for me. What I am seeking are clear rules to live by to minimise unnecessary decisions in life.

Hadrian3 likes this.
  4. 6/30. This challenge actually helps a lot. I haven't checked facebook a single time and I log in to NoFap only when I'm going to update my counters.

Hadrian3 likes this.
  5. If you have not, you should read the book Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport.

6. In my opinion you could be Messiah only when your completly delete your social medias (Exception: Forums [That i consider them something like a social media] and Pinterest). YouTube too, but in my opinion YouTube is essential anyway, just limit it and remove your account would be a nice idea.

Force Majeure and Hadrian3 like this.
  7. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I used to use twitter excessively for political stuff and debates. Highly addictive for me. I first deleted my account and limited my reading. Then I completely quit it. Yeah, It will be helpful for me to use it later. But I have to use it just for good things, not politics/news. Instagram, I check in once a while. Just for friends.
    I also use WhatsApp daily. Just for family and friends and work. That's fine. It's not addictive.
    Telegram messenger, I go there once in a while. Just for friends. It's addicting for me too. So, I don't go there everyday.
    Youtube I use it wisely and is beneficial and necessary for me. Used to waste my time on it, But not these days. Have to be cautious using Youtube.

When you can't use social media wisely and waste like 8 hours daily on it, sometimes the only choice is to leave them completely. It doesn't have to be forever though. You may come back later when you are able to use it in moderate and for good things.

Force Majeure likes this.
  8. V∧DΞR

V∧DΞR Fapstronaut

I am in .

My story: During quarantine I got into viewing this new generation of YouTubers known as Vtubers. Quarantine has led me to excessive use of Quora and YouTube in general.

First step:
    AIM : I am going to wipe of my browsing history, unsub all the gaming and entertainment based channel and block YouTube and use it when necessary. I will also delete my Quora account. I must put both Quora and YouTube on blocklist.

9. V∧DΞR

V∧DΞR Fapstronaut

My effort : Deleted my quora account. Deleted my history. Unsubscribed from 31 channels on YouTube. Blocked Hololive(Vtubers) from coming in my searches. Put Quora on my blocklist currently.

En?gma likes this.
  10. Also necessary send your smartphone in the Trash Bucket and buy an old phone style like buttons nokia. Cut yourself from internet or tech when your are outside is an amazing thing. You will say i'm crazy, but is beautiful to stay outside home, watch some trees, use my mind and lost myself on my thoughts, read a book, or something, i was sitting waiting for my parent that was inside a store some time ago, and just watch cars go and came with nothing to do, we need to rediscover the noble art of ''get bored'', in a philosophical way. or there will be a day where we decide to merge with the matters and have a voice that remember us the list of things we have planned to do, if you know what i mean, this is just an example.
    Is incredible how you see an horde of zombies costantly with their nose on the phone screen, if you do you will see the difference. Comfort does not necessary mean useful.

11. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I use Quora much too. I mean in the past. I would visit it to get the answer for some work related question and then I would trapped into some other questions and got stuck there and would spend much time reading fun/interesting questions, which were not very important.
    Then I blocked Quora till 8 p.m.

Still, occasionally I spend excessive time unwantedly. Like, Today I watched tens of Youtube videos about healthy foods and good diet. While I had more important job-related things to do. Or sometimes I spend too much time reading books.
    But such things never addicts you like social media do. They don't force you to spend much time on them everyday! Or check them every minute! Also, They're beneficial.

CArT_Vader likes this.
  12. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

As a web developer, I am a tech guy. But I try to use it wisely and quit the addictions.
    Aye, I did exactly. I used that phones before and will use them again if necessary. And it felt very special when I saw those people staring at their phone screens. Made me realise how bad It was when I myself used to do the same.