1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I actually quit Sugar?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by rob13_, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

I agree reading the risks and the damage of it and therefore feeling it on yourself proves it to you, I always used to do it.

2. Bethelightinmyheart

Bethelightinmyheart Fapstronaut

I would cut them for 10 days, then have them being tried out in succession and gradually get a sense of what I can handle and not handle,

3. On the path

On the path Fapstronaut

Nice! I think a 30 hour water fast is safe enough to where you probably don't need a refeeding day. If you did a 42 hour fast I would recommend one refeeding day.

What's your goal? Personally, I don't recommend keto for weight loss. If someone got overweight, it's because of a lifestyle. Keto will get them to lose the weight, but once they go back to their old lifestyle, the weight will come back right away. The only way to lose weight, and keep the weight off is to commit to a new lifestyle. This could be as simple as a low sugar & no beer change into your current diet. But keto will only get someone to lose weight as long as they're on it. Once they get off keto, they will start gaining weight again.

Be careful because (unless you're on the keto diet) your body runs on sugar -- specifically glucose. Most carbs you eat get turned into glucose, including the carbs from bread, pasta, fruits, vegetables, rice, etc. Don't "scare" yourself into not eating something, because that will just stress you out. Sugar isn't like nicotine, because your body needs sugar. You just need to be careful with it.

Bethelightinmyheart likes this.
  4. Indurian

Indurian Fapstronaut

That's about 5 days with minimal sugar. I don't know if it's a placebo but I do feel good. I've cut out snacking completely and am aiming to stick with three main meals each day

5. Bethelightinmyheart

Bethelightinmyheart Fapstronaut

Well, I suppose this is true in general. I just think I, as many others, might overemphasize the importance of what you eat as I, as many others also, have problems with anxiety and overthinking which is making me fatigued and burn out now and then. Also, I have been hitting the gym for several years, along with power walks and running/jogging periodically, and so I am in good shape, probably top 10-20 percent of population I would guess? Just need to lose some of that hard-fought kilos around my stomach and belly (belly fat that just won't go away)

6. On the path

On the path Fapstronaut

Don't worry about it, man. I mean, you say you're in top 10-20% of the population, so it would be safe to assume you're at least 13 body fat percentage? It is very hard to get under 10% body fat without using drugs. The only natural people I'm aware of that are under 10% body fat are people that count macros consistently. Every meal.

Seriously, those male models that are so lean it looks like their muscles were chiseled from stone? They are using drugs to get lean and STAY lean. Those awesome looking six packs in the super hero movies? Every shirtless scene the lighting is set up so the body looks more impressive than it actually is. Not saying their bodies aren't good, but they're not actually as ripped as it looks -- It's an optical illusion done by shadows and lighting.

It is absurdly difficult to get super lean and even harder to STAY that lean. Unless your job requires it, I don't recommend bothering with the stubborn body fat outside of summer season. Like, if you're cutting for summer, then I totally understand. It's why I fasted earlier this year and plan to do it again next year. But summer is almost over. Just do some fasting before summer to get that stubborn fat gone because all that annoying stubborn body fat will come right back soon enough. :p

Bethelightinmyheart likes this.
  7. Never go to a shop while you are hungry.
    Don't buy anything that contains too much sugar.
    If you don't have it, you can't eat it.
    (This works better if you live alone)
    Also, a college of mine eats every 2-3 hours so he won't get hungry ever. He eats meat, cheese and other things that are low on
    carbohydrate he claims that its working and he is loosing weight.

8. Indurian

Indurian Fapstronaut

That's been around two weeks with virtually no sugar in my diet. I'll have to give it a bit more time in case I'm experiencing a placebo effect but I definitely feel that my baseline anxiety has dropped.

What I'm realising is that where you have multiple addictions it's hard to see how they each impact your physical and mental wellbeing. However as you give them up this process reveals the impact of abstinence from each of your vices.

If you're thinking about giving up sugar then watch out for it in processed foods, plus dried fruits like raisins. Apparently all sugar is the same and has the same ultimate effect. As I've learned it is found in much more than the obvious chocolates, cakes etc.

I urge everyone to give it up. What you lose in very temporary pleasure, you gain in general wellbeing

9. Glycemic index is the real indicator of how sugary foodstuffs influence your blood sugar. Proper knowledge of the GI of all your food items and a well-spaced diet not exceeding 2 large meals a day will enable you to get away with eating quite a lot of sugary food without disrupting your health. It's a less-known lifehack of sorts.

The Symbol of Hope likes this.