1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you guys read? I'm looking for book recommendations.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by NebulousRiver, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Hey there fellow Fapstronauts! Hope you're all doing well today.

So I just got my hands on my first E-Reader - it's a Kindle Paperwhite, and I'm lovin' it!

I'm looking for some good reads, what do you guys recommend or personally enjoy? I enjoy historical biographies, memoirs, and self-help books, but am open to all genres, and am new to the world of reading books.

Thank you sincerely,
    Nebulous

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

the mistborn triology is my fav fiction book
    lord of flies
    not a penny more not a penny less

3. What kind of genres are you into?

4. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Are you into classics? Fantasy? Historic fiction? Mystery? A specific country? For each there are various books to choose.

If you're into fantasy novels, Reading "Riyria Revelations" series was one of the most enjoyable experiences for me. A bit long for some people though.

If you're into classic novels visit Librivox for free audio books. They're all in public domain.

Historic fiction? I am currently reading A Morbid Taste for Bones the first voulme of Brother Cadfael series. It's historical murder mystery series.

engelman likes this.
  5. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Why it's your favourite?
    Have you read other Sanderson's novels too? Which one do you think is better for starters? I haven't read much fantasy.

6. I enjoy historical biographies, memoirs, and self-help books, but am open to all genres generally.

Johnthesavage likes this.
  7. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

two reasons
    one it was my first fantasy novel
    second I simply liked the book.. many a time I still read my fav parts from the book..

No I havnt read any other of his books..
    I continued the mistborn trilogy series and read 6 of the 8 books..

the first trilogy is exceptional
    the second trilogy is heart warming. :)

other than that I read

thinking fast and slow (if you like statistics based things)
    money master the game
    wings of fire
    Sapiens (I liked this one very much )

Hadrian3 likes this.
  8. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

Good point. I mean, I love the Riyria Revelations series very much and it's one of my first fantasy books too. Maybe being the first made it that lovable. Have you read this series?
    I love medieval-themed worlds very much.

For now, I am into classics. Want to read a decent number of them. Then I will read newer novels too.

I love statistics and numbers. But don't know if that's kind of statistics I mean. But that should be good for me. Thanks. Will look at the others too...

9. 7foot2

7foot2 Fapstronaut

Yes Lord of the flies is a great read.

10. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

you'll love the book.. "thinking fast and slow"..
    its about decisions..
    an example.. case 1) if a situation is there and option A ) its proven scientifically that if you take this option 82 percent chance that you'll succeed... still we chose option B we always believe that I am better than this and I can prove that scientific proven thing wrong..

case 2) its told that previous one who took the test failed miserably in the above test bec he took option B. Now what you'll chose. And still people chose option B.
    means, even when people were told about the results they believe that those statistics and scientific results doesn't apply to them bec they are special and more intelligent.

Similarly, statistics of success of CEO of companies, mutual fund managers, etc etc..
    all practical things he tried to mentions in numbers.

like what is the probability that one help a person in need..
    why people doesnt help etc etc..

:)
    happy reading

Hadrian3 likes this.
  11. Hmm, I was really into semi-autobiographical books for awhile and you might enjoy something like "Confessions of a Mask" or "Ham on Rye" both books are men talking about their innermost private lives growing up and their personal struggles with various things. The latter is very raunchy (being Bukowski after all) but they had a pretty big impact on me when I read them. The only other memoir I can recommend off the top of my head, mostly because memoir is in the name, is "Memoirs of a Geisha". Admittedly, didn't read it all the way through as I gave it away but I will likely pick it up again. Also "The Sun also Rises" comes to mind. Not worth a reread for me but definitely turned me onto Hemingway I just haven't gotten around to his other works yet.

I put "Grapes of Wrath" on the backburner but it's good and loosely a historical biography.

The best self help book that I have read so far is "How to win friends and influence people".

Along with Murphy I wish you happy reading as well!

12. two-face

two-face Fapstronaut

I recently read Catherine the Great: Portrait of a woman by Robert Massie - thought it was one of the better biographies I'd read. Reads like a novel. His book Nicholas and Alexandra is also worth reading - what a heartbreaking episode in history.

13. Benedicti

Benedicti Fapstronaut

I highly recommend "Clouds" by Aristophanes. It is funny as s***. I am reading "Wasps" by him.

Edit: I just finished "Wasps".

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  14. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

15. The best book I've ever read is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. It is a bit long, but trust me, it grips you from the start. It's absolutely incredible.

Other books I'd rate highly are 1984 by George Orwell, The Stranger by Albert Camus, The Long Walk, by Richard Bachman (aka Stephen King), Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman, and The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells. This is an odd assortment, but I hope something in here interests you.

One last book I'd recommend is My Antonia by Willa Cather. It's written as if it were a memoir, and though I don't believe it is a true story, it gives a nice glimpse into early American history.

16. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

I'm really into these number/stats things.
    Is the book related to improving social skills? Does it help? I mean, Helping to interact/communicate with others, etc.

17. It's a pity that Clouds had a part to play in Socrates' death.

Ghost in the Shell and Benedicti like this.
  18. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

If you don't know where to start, 'classics' or working your way through one of those 100 books you must read etc. lists is a good place to start. Typically they are classics for a reason, and you're likely to end up with an author or two that you end up wanting to read everything by.

Self help wise - if you haven't read it already, forum favourite 'The Power of Habit' (Charles Duhigg) is a must. I also recommend 'The Subtle art of not giving a f*ck' (Mark Manson), a very practical, refreshing and entertaining take on the genre.

19. newstartolife

newstartolife Fapstronaut

I read 1984 by George Orwell recently.
    I liked Watchmen by Alan Moore, but that's a graphic novel
    I should be getting V for Vendetta by Alan Moore mailed to me soon
    I also have The Children of Men by P.D. James to read
    I'm getting into political books, despite being clueless in the field myself. I just like to think I'm an intellectual.