1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why so much negativity

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Love2LongBoard, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Love2LongBoard

Love2LongBoard Fapstronaut

I have been free of this terrible addiction, habit, whatever you call it for yourself for over 5 years now. One of the few truly universal truths I have learned on this journey is that you need positivity in your life to make serious changes. Negativity needs to be avoided as much as is possible.

I have been shocked at how many negative comments are on these threads. Negative comments to each other, tearing each other down, making fun of others, negative comments about women, degrading comments, etc.

We aren't here to push our agenda. We aren't here to change anyone's mind. If someone asks for advice we are all free to give it. Chances are there are a lot of opinions between all of us. That is okay.

I say we all stand up and try to be a little more positive. If you disagree with someone, you DO NOT HAVE TO SAY IT. If someone gave crazy terrible advice, there is probably a kind way to challenge it.

Haruki Murakami once wrote, “Always remember that to argue, and win, is to break down the reality of the person you are arguing against. It is painful to lose your reality, so be kind, even if you are right.”

So let's be kind... even if you THINK you are right.

skylark, Akeakua, diaspar and 7 others like this.
  2. And what do we do with those people ? We report them to moderators if they're violating any rules and proceed not to give them any attention. Usually, people don't follow the latter step.

3. There’s a wide range of people here. The range goes from those who are only here to harass all the way to people who are very serious about recovery and have had years of sobriety. The latter group is mainly here to help others and give good inputs. And there’s a whole lot of people in between those two extremes.

A message like yours is great but I’m afraid it won’t change anything. We just have to wade through and then ignore the bad as we get help from the good.

There’s been many who have gone on lengthy rants about the bad here on the site (including myself, been here over 2-1/2 years in total) and I see now it’s a waste of time. The lengthy rants actually stir up the trolls and get them to bang on their keyboard even more.

Best is to ignore the bad, report them if you feel it’s necessary, and focus on the good inputs here.

skylark and The Passenger like this.
  4. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

It's the internet and that's what people do on the internet. Most of these people probably wouldn't be like this irl (although some might). If people had to use their real names and prove their identity by sending in their birth certificate, passport or any other identification then people would probably stop some of their abusive behaviours but that will never happen. Just block such people and maybe don't spend much time here. Really this place is just like Facebook or Twitter.

5. Johnlee90

Johnlee90 New Fapstronaut

well, we can't ignore negativity. if we still surround with peoples

6. neverpolitcallycorrect

neverpolitcallycorrect Fapstronaut

People that cannot respond intelligently always run to the mods to hold there hand

7. You can if you use the "ignore" function.

Akeakua and thinking_differently like this.