1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

People's Obsession With Wealth

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by unimportant, Sep 9, 2020.

1. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

Agreed there is a large hurdle to overcome. I don't know the solution to it, but it has got to be related to anti profiteering motives.

2. You need money to survive. So, money is important. But wealth? Meh. Most rich people live boring lives in luxury. I rather be doing something fun with my life than just waste it on expensive stuff.

3. I rather have friends than money. But you need money to survive. But I have never had a good set of friends in my life, so I really don’t know.

4. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

You are not alone, and I agree with almost all of that.

unimportant likes this.
  5. Did you smell your feet today? You seem angry. Everyone has these feelings, including me.

6. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

Not angry, saddened by the ignorance of many. It's tragic don't you think?

7. I agree. Something new is needed. Unfortunately capitolism is the best we have so far. Infinite economic growth is no sustainable either. As economies grow the environment we live in suffers more and it is a zero sum game where eventually we will have no more resources to consume. And then what for humankind?

8. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

Well, hard core capitalists would probably prefer to think in terms of infinite efficiency. Can't stand this ridiculous concept, but it sheds light on their internals.

Imagine we live in a box, there is no way to leave or enter this box so no new resources can be added, and nothing can leave. So long as humans constantly get more efficient at recycling/mining resources in equal stride with their usage, they would be able to continue using up resources in perpetuity.

9. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

The problem is not the exchange system, but the lack of consciousness and empathy. Efficiency is a good thing.

Akeakua likes this.
  10. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

What if more empathy and consciousness implies something other than the exchange system?

11. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Like giving freely for help and mutual wellbeing? Well yes, but it depends on each one consciousness and willingness to do so.
    It cannot be forced, it cannot be imposed, that's totalitarianism.

12. WaterNewt

WaterNewt Fapstronaut

No. If regulations weren't tight, government and bank friendships were gone and being smart wasn't penalized, we would have had green nuclear energy right now. Where the waste is transported to hospitals. CO2 would be converted into usable things and green energy would be booming. People complain about landlords but imagine how many people want to make money out of literal sunshine.
    Capitalists aren't some hivemind that hate the environment.

We went from wood to oil and gas to sunlight. The sun will exist for 1000's of years, asteroid mining is a thing and the universe is infinite. Also a lot of resources that the earth offers aren't being used right now. Like the sahara dessert(Energy from the giant ball of plasma called the sun), thorium(will last us for 200 years), deutrium(will last us for 100's of years). What I am trying to say is that your box is way bigger than you think :)

Akeakua likes this.
  13. And also imagine more and more people being added to this box that consume more. Population growth is the elephant in the room. Every country wants more pop growth because that equals more economic growth. As western nations reduce birth rates because the improved education of women has shown a correlation in reduced family sizes, third world countries birth rates remain high and unsustainable. Instead of helping these countries with this issue the globalists instead encourage it.

14. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

I would never suggest deregulation. I don't know how you inferred that from Passenger either, almost certain that wasn't his intent.

The Passenger likes this.
  15. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

It is a massive elephant indeed. In my mind, we should not enforce population control measures (single child policy) but we should instigate communal shaming for having more than one. Same thing we do with bigots talking, we battle them down with logic and make them look like a fool. Communal shame is one of the most powerful non-violent means of change.

16. You want to tax the rich and save the environment? Good luck with that. Politicians don’t want there taxes raised. Unless, someone noble comes along, but that’s a once in a blue moon.

17. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

I want non profits to become more widespread.

18. Well, capitalism favours profit and the theory is that everyone profits in a given transaction. But I don't think what we call capitalism is what is being practiced in "capitalistic" countries today. I know governments interfere a lot so it can't be called "true capitalism". But the same can be said for communism. I think we need a system where individuals and special interest groups can't take over and corrupt the system. I don't know if such a system can exist as in theory other systems should work but greedy people ruin it for everyone.

Big oil holds us back in achieving what you talk about in the second half of your post. And whatever you want to call the economic system we use in the west, big oil rules the roost. It has taken people like Elon Musk to effect any positive change. If he hadn't, would there be as many electric and hybrid cars on the road?

Sorry to derail the thread somewhat, but if you are interested, look up the electric mitsubishi saloon car that could travel 1,000 miles on a single charge in 1999. Food for thought.

Anonymous86 and WaterNewt like this.
  19. unimportant

unimportant Fapstronaut

Electric cars were actually very common early on. Big Data surpassed big oil a few years back, interestingly enough.

20. I don't think a single child policy or a shaming method is needed. All we have to do is educate and empower women in these countries. Let's be honest, women are ignorant property in these countries with population problems. And the men that own them are uneducated too.