1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1824 words today. Having a lot of fun with this chapter and keep thinking of good things to write about for it. Nonetheless, it should be done tomorrow, thats what I'm aiming for.

aspiringwriter1997 and Anakin66 like this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

2108 words today. Chapter is done, along with a fair amount of rejigged planning for the structure of this characters arc in book 2. They have less chapters than other characters, which means I need to be careful with how I deal out story information. The idea is to create a fast paced thriller kind of narrative with red herrings and some twists and turns along the way. This should act as a nice contrast to the other two characters, who have much more expansive, but straightforward, plots.

3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

9389 words this week, a massive increase from previous weeks. I kinda got caught up with writing for the new character, but honestly I need to slow down a bit because I keep working for too long and messing up the rest of my schedule.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm up to 67 pages.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  4. Poor Yorick

Poor Yorick Fapstronaut

Howdy all. I've read parts of this thread before but never commented. Cool to see your progress!

In 2019, I wrote 40,000+ words of a novel. In 2020, I wrote around 40,000+ of a second. Neither finished.

In 2020, I've felt so torn between different rabbits, as it goes (he who tries to catch two rabbits catches neither): better-job-hunting, thinking about grad school, spiritual concerns, creative writing, and free-lance work I've take on.

I've caught none of them.

I realize though that the only times I'm truly vital and happy is while writing and the days that surround it. So I want to write more. I might check in here sometime in the future again. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1507 words today. This chapter is a very short one, perhaps one of the shortest in the whole book, so I am aiming to get it done tomorrow.

6. Poor Yorick

Poor Yorick Fapstronaut

This morning, I finally started a paper on J.D. Salinger that I intend to use as a writing sample for Grad School. I've written previous incarnations of this paper, but they're too snarky and not academic enough. Several months of research later, I might be too heavy-laden with ideas, but at least I finally started the goddamn thing.

204 words. It feels good to start. I know that small goals will bolster my brain into continuing. The ice is broken, hopefully, to resort cliché.

Also have been working on a cycle of quatrains.

7. Poor Yorick

Poor Yorick Fapstronaut

That's a pretty serious haul. You do the "War of Art" several hours a day, or what's your system?

When in the zone, I average maybe 500-1500/day. I try not to use word count though, so as not to distract myself.

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

You'll have to enlighten me on what War of Art is, I have never heard of it. I generally get up on a morning and get to writing as soon as can, I write for a couple of hours, maybe a bit more, then thats it for the day. Saturdays I read and edit my weeks work, and I take Sundays off.

I generally average around 1000-1500 words a day too, so we arent that far off from each other really. My issue is I tend to completely lose track of time and mess up my whole days schedule by writing so much it exhausts me. Its of course very satisfying to make lots of progress but not when it comes at the expense of me doing other things too.

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1503 words today, finishing the chapter.

10. Poor Yorick

Poor Yorick Fapstronaut

It's a book by Stephen Pressfield that advocates consistency, showing up, dealing with resistance to action, etc. It's a small book and pretty much a classic. Sounds like you're already doing what he recommends though.

These days I have too many conflicting responsibilities. But I really should make writing that one holy thing in the morning

11. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I'm back at my studio. I was away at home for Thanksgiving. Didn't get much work done on my manuscript. However, I managed to write 800 words last Wednesday before I left.

I'm back to the grind from tomorrow. Gotta make up for lost time.

12. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Welcome to the thread! It's great if you share your writing progress with us. Looking forward to your updates!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I spent most of today working on detailed plans of the next few chapters, but I still managed to get 738 words written as well.

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

2304 words today, made very good progress. I still dont expect to finish the chapter this week though.

15. Poor Yorick

Poor Yorick Fapstronaut

Am I missing something, or did you celebrate Thanksgiving a month early? Haha. Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.

I didn't word count, but I worked two solid hours this morning in my Salinger paper and two hours yesterday morning

Anakin66 and AtomicTango like this.
  16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

7636 words in total this week, a very good haul. I am now up to 88 pages.

18. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

316 words written on Friday and 581 on Saturday for the results and discussion section of my third manuscript. I'm getting back into that groove.

I will plot some graphs later today and get some more writing done. The manuscript is taking shape and I'm very happy about that. I was having some mini panic attacks during the middle of last week. Deadlines are approaching and I'm feeling the pressure. Thankfully, I am in a better mental state now. I just have to stay positive and ultra focused.

19. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Yep, Thanksgiving is in October up here in Canada.

AtomicTango likes this.
  20. Poor Yorick

Poor Yorick Fapstronaut

Oh, cool. Thanks for teaching me something!

AtomicTango and Anakin66 like this.