1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

got no choice, I´m blocking youtube

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by ThePeakWae, Oct 21, 2020.

1. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Finally the time to face the facts I also have a horrid Youtube addiction got a masters to deliver in 1 month and I´m failing so hard case of this addiction.

It ends tonight, any thoughts on how long I should leave Youtube Blocked? I dont wanna relapse.

ADMG likes this.
  2. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Maybe start with 15 days, increase from there. I’ve seen other threads where you are cutting out other social media’s. Did you get a book or two to read?

I’m genuinely curious (I struggle with this) as to how you’ll take breaks and reward yourself on your way to accomplishing your goal.

ThePeakWae likes this.
  3. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Cant do it, I tried to block the feed of rec. vids extension, I´m still a slave to some channels, the only way to be free is to block it whole.

Found a solution, I now use Site Blocker Extension, it was a drastic move, but I needed it.

4. Steppingintotheunkown

Steppingintotheunkown Fapstronaut

Iv just blocked YouTube too. I was relapsing on it. They ban people like Stefan Molyneoux and Alex Jones but they allow creepy taboo incest videos and jerk off instruction videos, it’s disgusting considering a lot of YouTube’s audience are probably children. I can live without YouTube.

5. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

I see, but how will you reward yourself when you reach milestones / complete homework’s etc?

6. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Once my Thesis is done and delivered, I´ll be ok with going back to Youtube (with feed restrictions still "on" ofc)

I dont even have the habit of using it for fanservice fapping (though there were a few times (2-3), where I searched for some fanservy anime fights there for fapping). Nowadays I can just download whatever I want from there, the need to keep being there is trapping me.

The problem is that I´m becoming increasingly aware that I´m a slave to it, for no benefit, sure there are things I´ll need it for in the future but I dont wanna use it as a addict, I already have shitty habits like Turning my games volume off so I can listen to a youtube vid while I play, it´s a trap.

I have a lot of projects I wanna realize and it´s enslaving me and there´s a limit to how much stuff I can just "setup for tomorrow", case I have investing and job plans, by then that´ll take priority over anything else, if I let youtube addiction go on, I risk delaying a lot of my plans til I´m 25 or longer thats no longer a option.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    ruso likes this.
  7. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

I see, don’t want to derail the thread. Good luck, and if you feel like sharing how you reward yourself etc, feel free to PM me.

8. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

The Reward my friend is to free and manage my "inner Warrior focused state", Youtube addiction and fapping were imprisoning him.

Steppingintotheunkown likes this.
  9. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

I won't allow myself on YouTube anymore. Too many triggers, too much risk. I just don't even get on it. Even for educational stuff, it doesn't matter. If I really need to learn something or find something out, I'll find it somewhere else that doesn't have a million triggering thumbnails on it.

Steppingintotheunkown likes this.
  10. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

My problem werent even the thumbnails, but the channels themselves, I devellopped lazy habits of overfocusing on certain channels and do a 2x speed watch of all their vids in the playlists, I now know this is wrong.

And I thank the community here for opening my eyes to the truth, I was taking the blue pill 24/7 without even knowing.

11. Steppingintotheunkown

I have downloaded the app Wikihow, it’s fantastic. Wikipedia too. I’m sorted

12. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Yeah, I´m gonna have to do the next step and kill Youtube on my phone too, going to do like Alex Becker and eliminate as many apps as I can for there, I´m freeing myself from the MatriX!

CrimsnBlade likes this.
  13. Steppingintotheunkown

You will be pleased you did I’m sure. I can only access about 4 websites that are work related, I have my email app, Spotify, calculator, exercise app, maps and banking app, WhatsApp and the wikis. That’s all I need. I have an iPhone and someone has put on a restriction passcode and email address so I can only allow certain apps/websites. If your an android user I would recommend blocker x, it’s fantastic.

ThePeakWae likes this.
  14. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Thanks I´ll check it out! Btw what do you do with play store and galaxy store apps? And factory in-built apps?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  15. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

16. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

These might be beneficial for you as well (see attached)

Attached Files:

ThePeakWae likes this.
  17. Steppingintotheunkown

blocker x will block playstore apps and galaxy store apps. You will need a code off an accountability partner to be able to access them

18. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

How does that system work? Is there a code share? Do I also become a accountability partner to someone else?

19. Steppingintotheunkown

Could you disable them then block your settings and playstore via the Blocker x app so it would make it impossible to enable the apps you can’t uninstall

ADMG and ThePeakWae like this.
  20. ADMG

ADMG Fapstronaut

I've also checked out of YouTube, more or less. With PluckEye software, I have it so that there are some videos that I have bookmarked and allowed (things like background study music), and I can also access random videos that my friends send me links to (PluckEye works on a time delay where you can block sites, but allow other sites or specific links after a time delay elapses).

I couldn't be happier when I'm off of YouTube. All the good reasons to be on it (to watch a video or two to take a break or for educational purposes) are completely dwarfed by my penchant to get sucked in to a 3-hour binge and/or PMO.

As for other sources of entertainment/education: I have found a few sites that fit my needs... I'm Catholic and conservative, so formed.org and online.hillsdale.edu work particularly well for me (but probably not for most). For more turn-your-brain-off type of entertainment, I've recently set up a Tubi.tv account with parental controls on so that it's on Kids mode... and to keep me from binging at Tubi, I used PluckEye to allow access only on Sundays (although I will probably add a second day of the week as well).