1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I did manage to get some writing done during my packed Thursday (200 words). Then I wrote 422 on Friday (Nov 30th). I ran computations on Saturday, so my weekly total was 1750 words. That's 50 more words from the previous week. I'm happy with that output.

I was able to write a lot more today, 774 words. This week is packed for me. My aim is finish the first draft of paper 3 by Friday!

2. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Great to have another engineering student here. I look forward to have you join us on the thread.

Which field of engineering are you studying? If you don't mind sharing of course.

3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

4. duellator4viva

duellator4viva Fapstronaut

Wow same here. I am studying Mechanical Engineering, what about you?

Henryforward and Anakin66 like this.
  5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

2093 words today. Something I have had planned since book 1 is finally coming back to play a major role in the narrative.

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

7. @AtomicTango: I've got a question for you: I'm trying to work on the rewrites and I've some suggestions I know could help set up the chapter better but I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out where to put what. Could I share my ideas with you and see what you think?

Henryforward likes this.
  8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

You definitely can!

9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1413 words today. I hate to sound so arrogant but I am SO pleased with how this chapter has turned out. I always seem to do best when writing horror sequences it seems.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  10. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Civil Engineering.

duellator4viva and Henryforward like this.
  11. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

It's been a very productive week so far. I was able to complete 380 words on Mon, 545 on Tue, 481 on Wed, and 1067 today. This brings my weekly total to 3247.

That's almost twice of what I wrote last week and I still got 2 more days left. I won't finish the paper by Friday, but I'm sure gonna try to get as much as possible done.

I am at brain capacity now. Time to sleep and refresh.

AtomicTango and Henryforward like this.
  12. Have any of you guys got a few tips for an aspiring writer? I write a lot of short stuff. Mainly musings poetry type story's there's generally pretty good. But I'd like to take the dive and start working on a novel based on true events. Where would one start?

13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1029 words today, chapter is finished and I am done for the week.

Anakin66 and Henryforward like this.
  14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

While everyone's writing process is different, what allows me to pump out words so fast and with such consistency is by sticking to a fairly rigid schedule and by spending a LOT of time planning out what I am going to write before I actually start writing. I also dedicate time in this schedule to reading through my weeks work and making small changes, then after I have written a certain amount (for example my books are split into 3 acts each so in my case it would be after each act) I read through everything again and make more alterations. Then once the whole thing is done I read it through all over again. Only then do I even send it to anyone to read it and offer their feedback. This routine allows me enough freedom to incorporate new ideas but it also acts as a buffer against the impulse to insert changes that are bad, that you I realise are bad after the fact. Sticking to a rigid plan that I am always keeping in mind allows the narrative flow and characters to remain steady and consistent. Is my writing of an excellent standard? No, there is always more to lean and improve upon but by doing this I have definitely helped myself a lot.

The long and short of it is that a lot of amateur writers dont take the writing process seriously enough, they maybe make a few notes, have a few ideas they think are good, then steamroll into it without really thinking about it deeply enough or for long enough. Inevitably you write yourself into a corner you cant get out of and end up with an inferior piece of work that isnt like what you imagined. I know this because I've done it before many times. The only way to stop this is to be disciplined and focused and treat writing like the work that it actually is, and not some artsy and nebulous process that is completely dependent on nothing but "having a good idea". Having a good idea is like 10% of the process, the rest of it is translating your imagination into something that is actually good.

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

7243 words this week, and 20 pages, bringing my total page count to 155 pages.

16. Do you guys mind if I join your thread? I've started. It will be a novel inspired by true events.
    I've written part of an introduction just to set the scene. And then a page or two of the first chapter. 1128 words. It's amazing reliving days past so long ago. Well the whole story takes place within about 8 years. I think the reason I've had such struggles with health, and then not starting back at work has been God's way of telling me to just write the book.
    And I've been getting right into writing poetry as well. I sat down at the lake last night and wrote two poems. Both inspired by the geese and the serene surroundings.

17. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Finished the results and discussion, then conclusions section of my third paper. I wrote 551 words on Friday and 807 on Sat. I also wrote 465 words for an unpublished blog I'm working on about my spiritual awakening.

My weekly tally is 5070, which is significantly greater than the last two weeks. I'm happy with this output, but I have to get this paper out by Monday night.

I'm finishing off the methods by tomorrow afternoon. Then I have to clean up the intro.
    The rest are comestic stuff and will fall in place by Monday.

18. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Please feel free to check in and keep us posted. You're off to a very good start! Keep pushing!

Henryforward likes this.
  19. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Trail blazer as usual! I see you are really getting the pages in for your sequel. Great work!

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thank you!

Anakin66 and Henryforward like this.