1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. 3,241 words. It may not seem like I wrote a lot with the word count, but I wrote a good 300 words because a small section I saw didn't look good enough so I deleted it and rewrote it in one go. I'm gradually getting this chapter completed and when I do, I'll take a few days to rest, write out some notes, and then start the revision for Chapter 2. In other news, I've started my second article and I've written over 400 words for that piece already. I'm excited to be writing this new piece and I hope to make it a bit different from my previous article.

2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

5580 words this week, so I still managed to reach my intended total of 5000 words at least a week. Now at 190 pages with three chapters left in act 1 (which is technically act 4 because thats how I decided to have the stories connect, ie book 1 is act 1-3, book act 4-6, and so on.) I also wrote three haiku.

Burning eye pierces
    the veil that separates us.
    Warmth cannot be felt.

Bitter cold reaches
    out probing, feeling fingers.
    Wrapped around my heart.

Silence in the air.
    New winds carry a warning.
    What's this? Must be rain.

EDIT: Lol I posted the version of the second one that doesnt fit the format and only just noticed now.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  3. I wrote around 460 words this morning, which is close to my 500-word goal. I probably have surpassed 500 since I did go back and wrote a few more lines at some point yesterday so this marks the first time in ages that I meet my daily quota! I'm up 3,740 words and I intend to finish the chapter this weekend. I've gotten the research on my second article underway and if I can complete this paper today, I'll have the weekend to read and study for my Spanish interview next week. :D

I also wrote three haikus yesterday so I'm up to 30 haikus in my bundle (at the moment).

4. Awesome I love how we are all writing haikus now! It's because of you guys I started.

She told me goodbye.
    I said, fine but I love you.
    Gone. She walked away.

Flapping wings meet tree.
    Owl lands now, wide open eyes.
    Paranoid, glances

Found an open bag.
    Poison powder tells me come.
    No. This leads to death.

Peace where are you now.
    How long must I endure death.
    Hold on. Sun will rise.

5. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Hey guys, long time lurker of this thread. I used to have aspirations to be a writer, then I stopped when I realized that I have a big problem with basic punctuation. I do, from time to time, still write small poems. Below is one I wrote a while ago. What can be improved on it, specially punctuation and grammar wise? Also, if you all don't mind, I'd like to post more from time to time.

Oh procrastination how I long for thee.

How bitter sweet, hours and hours of self indulgence only to be greeted with the slap on the face from reality.

Although you are not the key, you didn’t judge, and let me be.

The hero in me waiting for the “Never again!” And the resolve to not fall into the same trap, to have something to do, a pursuit, a calling to change.

Then next day or week - repeat the same cycle all over again. Perhaps one day, It’ll be different, just not today.

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I like these a lot.

7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Welcome to the thread. I'm not really a poetry guy (other than the haiku stuff I guess) so I cant really comment on what you wrote, but I dont think there are any serious punctuation issues?

8. Well, I'm now up to 3,901 words in the chapter. I intend to finish the chapter tomorrow (yes, a shocker) and get the final 300 words or so during then. I just spent the morning polishing up snippets and bring together previously written scenes that lacked a transition. So I've got just one section left to complete and then I'll spend Thanksgiving trying to work on some notes for the next chapter, as well as doing a research paper, maybe an interview (?), and trying to read some more from the novel I've been trying to read for a while. I finally got to the third section and there are only 10 chapters left so if I read 2 chapters a day next week, I can get it done by Friday. Then I'll wait until I'm done with my classes before starting to binge read during the rest of the year.

As for poetry, I might start writing the final two sections of my "Queen" poem and I might post a few snippets from each section next week or so. I'll also try to post more of my haikus soon. I've been in a writing mood about them lately and I'm considering having my first book published to be a book of haikus since I can probably get a collection arranged easily. There's also a poem I wrote called "Blackbirds singing in the key" which I'm now thinking of making into a longer, more traditional poem because I just had an idea come to me last night. Then there's the "Ode to Venus" which I need to resume working on and start making other astronomical odes so yeah, I've got several poetry projects underway which I'll try to focus on during the next few weeks. The rest of my year might be a poetry writing fest. Nothing wrong with that though. :D

9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Gleaming silver face.
    Fill the darkness with your light.
    So close yet so far.

Drink you deeply in.
    Touch your curves and feel your smile.
    Watch you fade away.

10. Not sure what to make of this. What do you all think?

spuriously accused
    standing silently away
    slightly resenting

Akeakua likes this.
  11. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

It has one too many syllables in the first line. I like the idea of it though.

Akeakua and aspiringwriter1997 like this.
  12. What should I do to get rid of that extra syllable?

13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Well honestly I am not sure, perhaps rearrange the words around so it fits into 5-7-5, but at the moment I cannot think of a synonym for spuriously that works and fits the format.

14. 5/8/5 slipping brother!

Drink you deeply in.
    Touch your curves, feel your smile.
    Watch you fade away.

Akeakua and AtomicTango like this.
  15. Spurious they judge.
    Standing silently away.
    Slightly resenting.

Spurious I'm judged.
    Silently standing away.
    Resenting softly.

16. The surface ripples.
    Waterfowl gather around.
    Sun shines down in love.

Grass and weeds they grow.
    Yet coexisting, they thrive.
    Reaching up for light.

What is this silence.
    This solitude of the mind.
    Stay with me, peace now.

17. Also haven't done much work on the novel. I've done some hiking and running however. And I've been writing heaps of poetry.

18. I like this ruso. Unfortunately we are often owe own worse critics. Just keep working on writing and you will see your style evolve. I don't think you need to worry. I've noticed the more I write the better my grammer etc gets. So just keep doing it. But I see nothing wrong. Keep writing I'm keen to see more of your work. You should try some haikus. We are all writing them these days!

Anakin66, Akeakua, ruso and 2 others like this.
  19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The original version is still correct, every word on the second line is one syllable each and there are seven words. The version you presented is only 6. I would assume this is because of the use of the word "curves" which is only one syllable, I just made sure to check.

EDIT: This got me to realising how a lot of haiku dont actually work in the format when you translate them from native Japanese, and a lot of ours wont work if we tried to convert them. Even the word haiku, which is two syllables for us, is three when spoken in Japanese.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  20. I like both of these better. I probably won't keep the one I wrote because it's about emotion and it doesn't fit the haiku style as well. That being said, you definitely know your haiku abilities. I'm impressed. :D

Akeakua and Henryforward like this.