1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

What kind of thing are you wanting to write?

Anakin66, Henryforward and Kingler like this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Leaf dances in breeze.
    Catches the remaining light.
    Downpour incoming.

Days cannot stay still.
    Heavens crack asunder and
    wash the filth away.

3. getafterit

getafterit Fapstronaut

How bad of a writer are you allowed to be to be able to post something you've written just for the sake of writing in this thread? Asking for myself..

:D

Henryforward likes this.
  4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

You can post whatever you like as long as you are comfortable with doing so. And as long as it isnt potentially triggering I guess.

Henryforward, Kingler and getafterit like this.
  5. Do you see any other changes I should make, like trying to rewrite the longer lines into shorter forms or sans these two mistakes, do you think it's fine as it is?

Kingler likes this.
  6. bananas growing
    under the tree-shaded hammocks;
    riping to richness

I felt whimsical this morning and wanted to write a haiku based on earlier failed attempts to use the word "hammock" in a haiku. I hope you all enjoy this and I hope to start work on my haikus when I've graduated. Everything I was going to do has been pushed back (a bit).

AtomicTango likes this.
  7. Actually I'm trying to write about the issues of the society which are associated with the modern era. I don't know how to start but I'm sure that I want to write about it.

Thanks in advance :)

Henryforward likes this.
  8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

So its non fiction?

Henryforward and Kingler like this.
  9. Yeah :)

Henryforward likes this.
  10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I have no experience writing non fiction so I am not sure what help I can offer unfortunately. Other than basic stuff like make sure you devote a lot of time to research and planning.

Anakin66, Kingler and Henryforward like this.
  11. Yep research research and more research.
    And personal experience will help. You have to relate to connect with the reader.

Anakin66, AtomicTango and Kingler like this.
  12. You are the artist. I could change things but I would rather you keep writing as you and I can give you tips along the way. Honestly it's good.

Also this is 5 8 5

Bananas growing.
    Under the shaded hammock.
    Riping to richness.

Bananas tower
    Reaching up to the heavens
    Perfection and rich.

Just play with them bro.

13. Thanks anyways :)

14. Thanks Bud :)

Anakin66 and Henryforward like this.
  15. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

1100 words written for the introduction today. It was a tough day. It's always hard overcoming the inertia when starting a new section of the thesis, but I've picked up some pace. I have an outline of what to do tomorrow. I'll just sleep on it now.

16. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Made some steady progress on the introduction. Wrote 2103 words, barely eclipsing my previous highest one day total.
    I literally have three or four sentences in the first paragraph to wrap up the first draft, but I just can't get it to flow and connect with the next paragraph. I'll have to start fresh tomorrow.

On another note, my weekly total for last week ending Saturday 28th was 9898 words. It's the most I've written in a week. It's largely because I was writing a literature review that didn't require me to do data analysis and computations. I guess you can say it's the closest thing to a very short novel.

Anyways, tomorrow is to wrap the introduction and then get started on the last thesis chapter, the conclusions. It's all coming together.

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1640 words today, a good start to a new chapter.

18. Started on my final paper today. This is the last research paper I need to do before I finish my degree. Working on it has made me consider turning it into an essay- which is one of like 6-7 papers I'm thinking of turning into essays for hopeful publication. I'd like to spend part of break clearing out my computer files, saving the papers I want to turn into essays, but moving the rest into a flash drive and put those writings away so that I'm not boggled down with old reminders as I try to start my new life as a man seeking to work and writing for a living- however that may come.

19. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Finished the introduction when I got up this morning. Nothing like sleeping on it.

Started the last thesis chapter, conclusions and contributions to knowledge. Daily word count was 1103. I gotta wrap this chapter up by tomorrow night. Then two days max to put all the parts together!

On the job front, I got a call back for a second interview. I take that as a good sign and I'm a little bit nervous, but I'll do my part. It's just coincidence that the interview is Thursday, the same day I plan to submit the thesis. So this week is gonna be another packed one.

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1065 words today. Wanted to get more done but I can easily make up the difference tomorrow so its no big deal I guess.