1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lord of the Rings Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by RiseToGreatness, Sep 22, 2019.

Should the Thread Title be extended?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2020.
  1. No, leave like that: "The Lord of the Rings Challenge"

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: The Fellowship of Nofap"

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: Rising Fellowship of Eärendil"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: The Journey to Mount Doom"

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: The Quest of the Ring-bearer"

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OttarrTheVendelCrow

OttarrTheVendelCrow Fapstronaut

Yes. Ever wonder why animals do not have a problem falling to sleep? It is because they are living in their natural environment and we are no longer living in ours. We need to recreate our natural environment in order to experience better sleep. These are some steps you can take:

1 - Dim the lights at least 2 hours before bed. I use WIFI bulbs and have them on a timer to turn to red light when the sun goes down. This mimics nature and tells your body it is time to rest. Red light does not stimulate your brain the way blue light does. Blue light literally tells your brain "the suns up, time to go!". You need to mimic sunup and sundown.

2- No screens at least 1 hour before bed (preferably 2) and NO phone usage in the bedroom, especially if you wake up in the middle of the night (see blue light in #1). Try and keep your phone outside of your bedroom. If you need an alarm put it on the other side of the room. (this will help you with number 5)

3- No eating at least 2 hours before bed. Digestion is a lot of work for your body and eating before bed can prevent you from achieving a deep restful sleep pattern.

4- Do not nap during the day. Sleepiness is like a bank. If you use some of it to nap you will have less melatonin to help you fall asleep when it comes time at night.

5- Avoid caffeine. The half-life of caffeine is 8 hours! This means that if you drink a cup of coffee at 2pm you still have half a cup of coffee coursing through your veins by 10pm! If you do drink coffee do it early and limit your intake if you think it is affecting your sleep.

6- Keep your house / apartment cool (ideally 65 degrees) - your body temperature needs to drop in order to achieve deep sleep, the most restful and important of the sleep stages. In nature, we slept on cave floors, not heating pads. It's okay to bundle up when you go to bed but let your body cool down first.

7- Always set an alarm and go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. This one is super important! In nature, we went to bed when the sun went down and woke up when the sun came up. Our body craves a routine sleep cycle. Creating one will drastically improve your sleep

If you are interested in learning more about sleep and what we can do to improve it I recommend Dr. Matthew Walker's book "Why We Sleep" or you can watch him on Joe Rogan episode #1109 :) I highly recommend both!

2. day 3
    almost 2 hours left for Fourth day :)

HE^MAN, Slider8, Cucurbito and 3 others like this.
  3. crazyhorse11

crazyhorse11 Fapstronaut

Thank you for introducing me to this - fantastic powerful traditional music showing us the way to a better life, an immensely better life than that of P

RiseToGreatness likes this.
  4. crazyhorse11

crazyhorse11 Fapstronaut

Great Tips - one of my key goals for 2021 will be better sleep patterns and these tips (and the others in the forum) will help big time

5. crazyhorse11

crazyhorse11 Fapstronaut

Super tips thank you!

Slider8 and RiseToGreatness like this.
  6. crazyhorse11

crazyhorse11 Fapstronaut

The fact that you came straight back onto this forum shows you can use this relapse as an opportunity to grow as opposed to fall - well done
    https://thefreedomfight.org/30-day-challenge-sign-up/day-18-relapse-and-reality-video/

7. jimmyanderson

jimmyanderson Fapstronaut

I've started meditation in the early morning (6am ish) and so far it's keeping me fresh till late afternoon. Actually, I look forward to everything after that. Your tips helped me a lot brother.
    Check in :)
    Another good development - I'm getting dreams but not related to PMO, yes some of them are vulgar in nature but that's it! Feels like the control is getting better but the PMO forces can never be too far away. Must stay vigilant. Onward fellowship!

8. jimmyanderson

jimmyanderson Fapstronaut

Wow! After so many years! Linking park ❤️

9. Day 9 complete.

@VTheBang Seems like an intense pose. Can you tell me more about it?

10. Very interesting post from @Slider8 ! Great initiative, and I think it can help a lot.

Checking in for day 16. TFed: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10. I don't meditate yet, perhaps something I can incorporate with yoga. Not sure what a trigger prevention plan is, techniques like urge surfing? Or is it just cutting out all triggers like social media? I have yet to find a way to cut out Facebook and I should really delete the incognito mode on my phone, just don't know how... any tips would be greatly appreciated.

HE^MAN, eagle rising, Slider8 and 2 others like this.
  11. Julito

Julito Fapstronaut

Day 3, heading to the gym

12. @Slider8 and @RiseToGreatness
    What kind of benefits did you experience after meditating?
    What kind of meditation do you do?
    What are some tips when meditating for beginners?

13. CrimsnBlade

CrimsnBlade Fapstronaut

14. OttarrTheVendelCrow

OttarrTheVendelCrow Fapstronaut

Day 8. Looking forward to the rebuilding stage ahead of me. As I spend more time on this forum I realize that there are many people out there just like me who have had the same experiences with this addiction. It is motivating to learn that I am not alone.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  15. belio123

belio123 Fapstronaut

16. Onan the Barbarian

Onan the Barbarian Fapstronaut

Day 16

Hobbit by the grace of God! Now let's get this journey underway. Onwards to Bree!

17. RiseToGreatness

RiseToGreatness Fapstronaut

i use this tecnique :)