1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

jaw issuses and being active need some advice

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by pancakebaker99, Jan 16, 2021.

1. pancakebaker99

pancakebaker99 Fapstronaut

Hello to anyone reading this I feel I am stuck in a bad place I got no one where to turn or go no one to help me out my parents are good but I feel they could be trying harder to help. If you read all I wrote I am willing to hear any advice I just feel trapped.

Part 1 To try to make this short and quick I am 23 still living with my parents I got no friends. no job, and I have a jaw defect that messed up my teeth really bad I know it's gross even online it's embarrassing to talk about but because of the jaw, I have had issues eating, talking, and maintaining oral hygenie since it is hard to brush my teeth. I am a Believer in God sometimes I feel anger towards God because of my jaw. For example, a normal regular person who might have horrible teeth can just go see a dentist, and issues are solved. Unlike a normal person, I go see a dentist but because of my jaw, no dentist can help me. I don't want to go into too many details but I was born premature and the jaw is one of three birth defects I had. The other two are gone but the jaw and teeth are causing me anxiety in terms of health issues. The reason I don't want to go into details is that the jaw issues is kind of complex because it seemed it came from another defect also insurance and physical therapy details but please if you want to feel free to ask any questions if you are confused about my jaw issue even I am confused as to why I have it but I will still answer the questions.

part 2 to the reason why I am posting this is being active. I was homeschooled for years I attend regular school till the fifth grade after that I just became homeschooled, shut-in, only left the house to see a doctor or get a haircut. I feel my social skills aren't great they weren't great in the first place during my time in regular school I only spoke to those who spoke to me I never started a conversation. I didn't really know or understand how shy I was till I met these two neighbors around my age in 2018 I spoke to them once in a while and I liked talking to them I didn't talk a lot I was very shy and bad at being social never knew what to say to them. They don't live in my area anymore they moved back to D.C. While I had good interactions with those two. I do feel I learned I need to start being more social. Some people assume I am shy because of my teeth/jaw but I have always been shy around people. I feel just like my jaw/teeth issue the shyness is another issue I need to overcome. I don't think it's wrong to be shy but I have no friends, job, or social life in general besides staying inside the house every day thinking about my teeth/jaw all day.

For anyone who is curious my dream job is working with animals, I also create stories I love to write and I like reviewing movies and shows.

Also, just-in-case anybody might be curious while I have been doing better at not having any PMO moments I feel staying in this position does lead me back sometimes since I use PMO as stress reviler at times or adrenaline rush

2. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

Ok my man I'm going to try my best to help a brotha out. First a few questions. Is jaw surgery an option? Are there any specific reasons or line of thought that makes you shy (fear of being judged, anxiety, think most are stupid, etc)? Are you going to school or is there any other reason you don't have a job? I can give better advice if these questions are answered :)

pancakebaker99 likes this.
  3. pancakebaker99

In terms of the jaw, I saw an oral surgeon last year I had to do some X-rays and he said nothing was wrong with my jaw bones which made him assume surgrey was not needed. So he had me go see a physical therapist which helped my jaw open a lot wider but not wide enough. It use to open only two millimeters but the physical therapist got it into the '20s. Which the oral surgeon liked but my dentist said that while good it's not good enough for him to do everything he needs. He says he feels it might be to painful for me if he does anything with teeth since the jaw only gets to the 20s. We told the oral surgeon he said that he might have to do surgrey but at the same time it's not needed he told me lots of things could go wrong my parents feel if surgery isn't need that I shouldn't have it.

While he is my oral surgeon he is not allow to work on my teeth my dentist had us ask him if he could help he said that the esurance dosen't cover him working on my teeth. So ever since the new year started my mom has been trying to find someone who is close we did find someone but she says it would be a long way to travel she wants to find someone closetest to home as possible .

A couple of the things you mention are reason I am shy around people being judged for mainly being boring I feel I am a boring person while I would like friends I never have much to say. Another reason is think I am not a people person. I never really looked down on anyone I am a little worried about the type of people that might come into my life. The two neighbors I mention for example I liked talking to them but they did drugs sometimes mostly vaping. Not trying to make them sound bad I know one of them had rehab for drugs but at same time both treated me very nice. Overall I get judgementle thoughts about people I don't like judging people but I feel tthose thoughts control my interactions sometimes.

I am not in school I was going to get my first job last year but my dad did not want me to do it because of the coronavirus. The corona is probably the only reason I don't have a job I mention wanting to find a job to my parents they want to find a place that works with animals but is also corona free. The job I almost had last year was for dog grooming my dad felt it was too risky he said that the virus gets in dogs and he didn't want to be around strangers.

Also thank you very much for replying and reading my post.

4. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

The best I can recommend for your jaw is to continue doing physical exercises day and night and keep working with insurance. There is not much more you can do, and since that is the case, there shouldn't be any reason to toil over it any longer since it is out of your control. Epictetus was a once lame slave with a broken arm and he became one of the most prominent figure heads of stoicism. I recommend reading stoic works and could offer some insight into your situation.

Socially I would remember that random people won't remember you if it doesn't work out and that you cannot control others impressions. It sounds like you could definitely use some confidence as well. Something that helped me out supremely was imagining the ultimate man that you'd like to be, and always try to replicate that type of man. Find hobbies that you're really passionate about, go to the gym, eat healthy, exercise your mind. If you chase excellence then friends and women eventually follow :) .

As for the job keep chasing the dream, but try to make smart financial decisions on the way.

And no problem! The fact that you want to improve and was willing to ask for help is the first step to becoming master of your own universe. I hope this helped!

pancakebaker99 likes this.
  5. pancakebaker99

I agree confidence is something I struggle with. I like your advice about imagining the ultimate man that I would like to be I do think about my future self sometimes and what I want that future me to be like. Overall I agree with everything you wrote. I am also still doing the jaw exercises every day everybody that has been involved about my jaw has told me to just keep doing them especially since my jaw is very tight in the mornings so the exercises help loosen it up.

I don't see my physical therapist anymore because sessions with him ended but before they ended he helped me find some exercise equipment that has been helping me. I do agree about going to the gym though I feel like that would be a nice way to get outside a bit more also having a better place to exercise.

I will read some stoic works I love reading. Again thank you very much for the advice.