1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we limited by our genes ?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Mr.Tony, Feb 4, 2021.

1. I spent my time watching successful people in many fields and i came to one conclusion, os that we are indeed limited with our own genes.

I watched athletes who does 100 Metre Run, and i watched Boxers and Soccer players.

Here i'm talking about the 1%, these guys have great genes no joke, there are stronger than the average people. They have a strong stamina and for the boxer they have extra ordinary straight.

Even Soccer players, the Top one are gifted. If you don't believe me, let's take the Top Ones worldwide and compare them with their team mates! They all train and workout in the same team, why aren't they superior ??

I think it's not about the will, it's about things that can't be seen with the naked eye...

Let's discuss the Great Minds in our Lifetime, Bill Gates - Steve Jobs - Elon Musk.

I think there is something called IQ for a reason... These guys hve more than 160 IQ. I honestly think that we are not similar, despite trying extremly hard you can never ever be like Elon Musk - Mentaly Speaking. He is indeed superior with greater genes than normal people.

Einstein Brain was stolen once and they did a little research on it to discover he had something different in his brain that did help him understand Math Logic and do some Aerospace research.

It's the way it is... Some are Extremely Handsome / Beautiful, some are taller, some have green eyes and rare eye colors...

That's the way it is, but the best thing is to do the best as you can by trying to become the best version if yourself with the given tools you have! ;)

Let's discuss Genes, Do you agree or disagree ?

I think they help a lot in someone success, of course with some other factors.

HE^MAN and Akeakua like this.
  2. When you read abput Tesla / Leonardo Da Vinci only sleeping 2 Hours a day.

And Elon Musk working 100 Hours work week, not to mention he had Photographic Memory.

I'm not here to discourage anyone, but i think that my brain has limites. It's a question of stamina! We are all different genetically speaking.

Akeakua likes this.
  3. Ilikebowties

Ilikebowties New Fapstronaut

I think we have some limits due to our genes but it's not a big deal. They can't make big difference more than our personality and our habits. You may say, our genes and habits are formed by our genes but I don't think so. We can build our personality, habits, and behaviors in time.

Akeakua and Mr.Tony like this.
  4. I agree with you, but sadlly we can't go beyond our limits. You should always try your best with the things you have at your disposal.

5. L3t'sG0

L3t'sG0 Fapstronaut

I never thought of genes as limits to our potential. I always thought that better genes are just a head start in life.

Still, my personal belief about limits is that some limits are not what they seem. For instance, you might break past limits you thought that were impossible. I'm just saying that we have more potential than our limits seem to say we do have.

Still, thanks for the discussion.

Ilikebowties and Akeakua like this.
  6. Ilikebowties

Ilikebowties New Fapstronaut

Yes, but it's really hard to determine the limits, they are vague and not certain. If we blame ourselves because of our genes after every failure, it would be harsh and deceptive. If we don't work and be patient enough, failures may happen. Not because of our genes, because of our behaviors.

So should we blame our genes or behaviors? Maybe you can say, some people have better genes and they don't need to work hard. Stoicism says something about that: If something isn't under your control, don't be sad and bother about it. Just do with things that under your control.

Mr.Tony likes this.
  7. Agreed 100%.
    Have you ever thought about pushing your limits ? I mean like studying yourself.

Honestly we don't know who we are or what we are capable of doing ?

This is a very interesting topic.

If you understand your capacities, you would definitly try to get the most of it, like 100%.

I tried many things to achieve cleverness, the thing is i'm still trying, when i weak up i'm extra clever. But the linger i think, the more my energy fades away and i feel so dumb and like my brain has some smoke coming out of it. I have pain in the back of my head sometimes.. something related to nerves.

I tried every possible way eating nuts, avocado, brain power food and thinking thinking... Playing chess and Using Memory trick and Meditation and reading books as part of my routine

I feel extremly clever just after weaking up, i heatd that humsns only use 10% of their brains, so tried all i could.

It seem there is a limite to my power, i feel like people like Elon Musk are gifted somehow. I'm on 115 days on NoFap and will to go 1000+ days.

I wanna achieve the best version myself possible.

I haven't achieve great things yet due to three factors:

- Where i was born ( My Enviroment )
    - Lack of knowledge ( This one is the root of PMO Addiction )
    - Limited Genes
    I'm trying to achieve what i couldn't, i feel like PMO Addiction.and my ignorent robbed me from a lot of things.

Sorry for bad english i wrote so fast on the smartphone.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  8. Ah a variation on the good old nature versus nurture debate, really awesome you started this discussion! It is always beneficial to converse on topics that interest us.

I think contemporary psychology is mostly in agreement that behaviour of man is a combination of nature (our genes we got from our parents), and nurture (all the influences of our environment, like culture we grow up in, social situations with family and peers, and education, etc.).

Personally I believe we humans have real control over our lives by the choices we make, and that with the right behaviours we can rise to unbelievable hights. This I believe anyone can do despite which genes they got, for if a potential amazing athlete never makes the decision to start playing a sport, the right genes don't really matter.

On the other hand, you have a real point that some people have better genes for certain tasks. For as far as I know this is best researched for physical achievements, as opposed to intellectual ones. For example, the average human from Africa is better in long distance marathons, when compared to the average human from America.

Always important to keep in mind the role of other factors however, which brings me to the most difficult point when talking about genes: there are almost always confounds, or other explanations for the phenomenon. This makes it hard to pinpoint how much difference a certain gene makes in a real life situations.

Again thanks for starting the discussion :)

9. WHMvsPMO

WHMvsPMO Fapstronaut

What about the epigenome of the microbiome? There are more of those than our own cells right? And there's also the interaction between ours and theirs. Of course how much we know and how much we can manipulate is limited, but that's a question of knowledge and not the genetics itself.

10. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

Cristiano Rinaldo didnt had great genes at fiest he was a skynny weak kid , but with alot of work he become the legend he is now

peki1994 and baba_yaga_ like this.
  11. Pizzer

Pizzer Fapstronaut

Other than some kind of deformity or crippling mental/health issues, there's no reason anybody can't be what they want to be.

Some people may have more of an aptitude and "win the genetic lottery"- like me for example, I can build muscle with very little effort, I have no idea why. I've been a couch potato my whole life and I have legs like tree trunks, and my arms are getting defined after a few weeks of basic weight training. So in that aspect, I lucked out, but I fail in many other aspects, mostly due to disinterest, I'm also not the sharpest tool in the shed.

But here's the thing, yes, some people may be able to pick things up easier, but if you put in the work, then you can attain what you want, it's all about how you learn and what works for you at the end of the day, even better if you enjoy whatever it is.

Mr.Tony likes this.
  12. We can do what ever we want and achieve things if we don't have [Health/Mental] Issue, that's true. But here is a Fact, you can't be number 1 at it worldwide especially in the Age og capitalism where competition is extremly high.

You can be the best in the limite of what you have.

For example, you have vegetables in the kitchen, and asking you to make the best salad out of it. It's totaly normal to make the best salad with the given ingrediens that you have. ( That's up to the hardwork in our case ).

But if i ask to prepare a dish of Bacons or Steaks or Chicken Breasts or Sausage, You would say i don't have the proper ingredients to make that.

I think it's similar to our cases, you can't go beyond your limites, even if you give 100% There are certain tjings you can never achieve due to the genes (ingredients) factor.

13. baba_yaga_

baba_yaga_ Fapstronaut

They (the 'successfull') are the ones who choose the things they were good at and spent day and night improving in that field. Maybe they were gifted with some abilities but still, talent without training is nothing. Imagine whether Einstein had gone to play video games instead of playing with thoughts, would he still be the 'Einstein' we know now??

Pizzer and Mr.Tony like this.
  14. He had the perfect tools to begin with, all he had to do is sharp them by giving 100% of hard work.

A reason why FCB and Real Madrid don't collect children from random areas and just train them to become super soccer players.

A Fauster Home will be a great place to collect future champions and many fields and sports. But it's not the case, they are genetically better than average people in that specific field.

You need to find something that makes you unique in all shape in form, that way by working hard on it, you can achieve great success in it worldwide, probably one of the Top 5 in an international level.

15. baba_yaga_

baba_yaga_ Fapstronaut

Hahaha! I can relate to this. very very much.

Pizzer likes this.
  16. No, but that's also part of the IQ.
    I'll give you an example; why people like Matk Zuckerbetg the founder of Facebook didn't choose to live the great life of dating hot women, buying fast cars and living the great luxury life despite being a Billionaire.

Give the same amount to an average guy you know he will just relax and spend money left and right.

That's an Average IQ and Decision making. It has to do with the will and everything but these guys have a higher IQ.

They think in a different way than normal people, i bet their education and IQ play a role in that.

baba_yaga_ likes this.
  17. Kurushimi

Kurushimi Fapstronaut

Yeah I agree. There are some born with natural talent. We are not equal after all.
    What you can't achieve with talent must be replaced with really really hard work.

Mr.Tony likes this.
  18. baba_yaga_

baba_yaga_ Fapstronaut

Yeah all of us could not be the 'best' just by working really hard, but we surely can become 'better' than most, at least become better than ourselves.
    In my case, I don't want to be the best, I just want to be the happiest ;) Life could be beautiful doing the simple things, no comparisons, no worries.

Kurushimi likes this.
  19. WHMvsPMO

WHMvsPMO Fapstronaut

I wouldn't. I was actually thinking of that as an example. Is there documented proof that Zuckerberg has a high IQ? I mean the basic concept of Facebook isn't that complex. In fact he dropped out didn't he? You've heard him speak right? I have to say it's not that inspirational. Here we have to note many intelligent people do not have commercial success, and those who do are not necessarily smarter than those who have little interest in that life.

In fact a well known media theorist has posed the question what might have happened if Zuckerberg finished school and had a well rounded education, the basic point being that he might have had more perspective in life and Facebook wouldn't be what it is today. I'm not sure where you stand with the influence FB has in the world but I imagine you are not totally uninformed on that note.

Of course, there's no telling whether intelligent people give a crap about anyone else or whether they are just interested in themselves.

BTW, considering the forum we're at being able to date hot women, presumably by the dozen or whatever seems to at least be possible the addiction talking. Besides people with no money or success can do that just by using some pick up artist crap they read from a book.

20. I used to worry lots about genes and whatnot some time ago, but then I grew out of it by realizing 2 things.

1. - Even though our genetic makeup might limit our capabilities, it's uncommon for it to be the sole factor that determines our growth. Reaching one's full genetic potential is extremely hard because loads of factors impact our performance in a more direct manner beforehand. Maybe a lifter has great muscle-building potential, but he is following a bad program, eating crap and sleeping poorly; before reaching his potential he'll need to consistently eat, train and sleep good for years.

2. - Once you reach your full potential you'll be quite capable. Sure, you most likely won't be like Leonardo Da Vinci (represent), but you won't be no slouch either. Returning to the gym, the current world record for heaviest deadlift is 501 kg (Haftor Bjornsson), but if you were to work hard and get even a 375 kg deadlift, you'd still be really strong.

This take of mine on the argument stems from a belief I have: compare yourself to your past self only, for there will be always, somewhere, someday, someone better than you.

Mr.Tony likes this.