1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dopamine fasting

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Burning star, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Burning star

Burning star Fapstronaut

hello there, I need some proper advise about dopamine detox. I tried it for 10 to 15 days almost about a year abstain from: music, fast food, movies, social media and almost everything. and i see no result, instead i feel like i'm leaving life, i feel drained, unemotional, no will, no motivation no nothing. please if you have any experience about that share it to me. should i continue journey of dopamine fasting or is it way too much of searching something new and bigger than just nofap. thanks a lot

blacklabel92 and Thin_18 like this.
  2. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

3. natethegreatguy

natethegreatguy Fapstronaut

Hi Burning star,

I think the point of doing a dopamine detox is to lower your tolerance for dopamine so that the next time you do something that triggers dopamine release, i.e. listen to music or go on social media, you get more out of what you are exposing yourself to after the detox. For example, if you eat a snickers bar that is really sweet and then you eat strawberries, the straberries wouldnt taste as sweet to you in comparison to how sweet they would have been if you havent had the snickers bar.

Dopamine fasting on its own isnt supposed to make you feel better, its the fact that your tolerance is rest that is the benefit. I would suggest trying a healthy way to release dopamine, like listen to some music, and see how you feel.

4. I'm trying it. I'm abstaining of music,all kinds of videos including tv, electronic games and PMO. So I'm usually felling bored because there's nothing too "exciting" to do and I'm doing it because i want to put more focus on the studies and reading. Ebooks, or anything to read are being a kind of entertainment. I'm often taking walks to disconnect of the virtual, and feel the real. Some months ago, studies were the "worst" thing to my brain do, but for now, it isn't hurting.

abandcned and blacklabel92 like this.
  5. This may help you https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...cience-spawns-a-maladaptive-fad-2020022618917

Thin_18 and blacklabel92 like this.
  6. It's an interesting article. I never read something similar. I didn't finish it yet, but i consider some habits a waste of time. On the tv for example there's nothing interesting.( Except some channels like discovery channel and animal planet for example) And games, i can't keep up with them because i get much anxious and procrastine a lot. About musics, i stopped for a while because i don't like to feel some emotions and feelings.

7. i want to to the very same thing as you.

Thin_18 likes this.
  8. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

Dopamine detox is just self harming in my opinion

9. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

Because its dopamine what makes you happy and what gives you motivation to do things

10. For me it's hard to accept it. Just think about the reboot, it's a dopamine detox if we consider because PMO makes us feel good for a while. So my question is: If we spend a time avoiding the PMO habit, are we most prepared to live without it? (based on dopamine fasting) or we will always have urges because we want to back to the habit, and it's being permanent might hookes us forever?
    If the things we have done are permanent, it might be hard to recovery. But think about the cells, they born and die, so i think we can recovery well of this. It can be permanent if we still practicing. I don't know, it's my opinion, if you don't agree, i'd like to know why. You shared such an importante thing that i never thought and knew about.

11. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

I have one word for you, neuroplasticity.

Thin_18 likes this.
  12. I truly hope neuroplasticity will fix this because I am in a flatline and scared my family because I am 32 and had suicidal thoughts. I do not want PIED for the rest of my life.

I'm on two medications now and reached out to a psychiatrist to get treatment.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2021
    Thin_18 likes this.
  13. when you stop pmo and experience a loss of libido

14. What do you feel while having it?

15. Personally? No morning wood, no sexual desire at all. Almost like my libido is dead.

16. Do you know about how many days you're having it?

17. For the past 15 days, since I started this. I just decided to fantasize this morning and had an erection but other than that, no morning wood or anything.