1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Very interested in converting to Catholicism

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. During this pandemic I feel like I have gotten closer with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I am currently praying, reading the Bible, and listening to Gregorian chants. And I feel that Catholicism is the right religion for me. I am also interested in converting to this glorious religion one day and would like to know how to convert at some point. Could any of you give me advice, on how to convert? Also, is it heresy to consider yourself Catholic if you follow the traditions but you haven't converted or attended church yet?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2021
  2. Hello Dioplleo_547, glad to hear this! From what I understand, you need to get through the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults). Apart from that, I can't tell how the process works, but I imagine you receive catechesis and the sacraments of initiation (Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist). From the experience of someone I know, the first sacrament this person received was Baptism. The best thing you can do is to check with a Priest to help you with the RCIA. Also, get help from your parish. I'm sure that the people there will assist and receive you with open arms. Definitely better than me with clarifying your doubts and giving you guidance. May God be with you!

Thomas3 and Dioplleo_547 like this.
  3. Thank you for telling me about this, I greatly appreciate it. I have been away from God's light for far too long I would like to return to him. May God be with you too brother.

4. Thomas3

Thomas3 Fapstronaut

Hello @Dioplleo_547! It is wonderful that you want to join the Catholic faith and I will pray for you throughout the process. To start, I would recommend contacting a Catholic parish in your area and let them know you want to become Catholic. Also, contact the parish priest so they can help you out as well. The next step would be to join RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) at your parish as well. They go over Catholic topics to discuss and reflect upon to give you a better understanding of the faith. The course usually starts around fall and usually ends around the end of Lent and the Easter Vigil Mass (the Mass the night before Easter Sunday) is when you are initiated and officially become a Catholic.

Like what you are doing, keep praying and reading the Bible so your relationship with God can grow while on your path of conversion. If you haven't prayed the Rosary or Divine Mercy Chaplet, then pray them as well. I also like how you are listening to the Gregorian Chant; it is so relaxing and peaceful to me when I listen to them. And if you haven't heard of it already, check out Catholic Answers. Catholic Answers has many Catholic apologists who explain and defend the Catholic faith through articles, videos, audio, etc. and they also have a YouTube channel. And to answer your second question, it is not a heresy but it surely might confuse people if you are not officially Catholic.

Overall, if you keep doing what you are doing and get into RCIA at your local parish, then you will be initiated into the Catholic faith in no time! Again I will be praying for you and you can always reach out to us if you have any questions and/or concerns. God bless you on your path to breaking away from PMO and your path to conversion :)

Dioplleo_547 likes this.
  5. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Welcome! I am a lover of the Catholic faith, it is my home! I have had a career which involved frequent world travel and I have lived in many different places. While it is a privilege to see the world, it has also meant that I don't have a physical place that I am deeply attached to in the way some speak of home. Rather, I find that where ever I go to Mass it is the same beautiful service. The sacraments, particularly communion and reconciliation, draw me closer to the warm embrace of Our Lord. As I study the faith and the lessons of the great Catholic scholars (Bishop Fulton Sheen is my current favorite) my knowledge of the nature of Christ grows.