1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Question

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 4, 2021.

1. About religion. What are your reasons to question it(if you do so)? What are some quotes/questions that might doubt religion?

aricking and modern milarepa like this.
  2. swordmaster

swordmaster Fapstronaut

I have no religion, am a pessimist, and have a tendency to go against religion sometimes. My reasons for doing it are just becoming the person I want, and not enslaved to a very harmful and weakening, humiliating addiction.

aricking and Hachiraya like this.
  3. swordmaster

swordmaster Fapstronaut

About your question to quit religion, it's a personal thing I guess. I quitted my religion because I was led to believe in those things as a kid, so I remember quitting my own religion in my pre-teenager years. To question a religion, you must first make a statement. But a lot of things in any religion are absurd in their own sense. For me, it's an animal with conscience thinking because they have conscience there can be the existence of another things and beings outside of what they know. For me religion in a sense is very arrogant. A piece of flesh with a conscience decides to believe in god, heaven, hell.

Example: I 'CAN' think of a place where people will go to when they sleep that they don't remember, but it a coloured island with rainbows, unicorns, giant toads and pink snakes. If other people believe in the same shit, then I have created a religion. Just thing to do now is to give more thought, make some absurd claims, some other with a nice ring to it, put it in a book, have followers, and keep growing my religion.

aricking, FellatiousD and Hachiraya like this.
  4. Yeah. To me religion seems a good advertisment for a church in that sense. It's well made brainwash.
    All those ideas of how paradise looks like are being sold to people and they blindly buy them with some really high prices like for example their freedom. It's like they work they whole life for a house they won't even buy in the end and won't probably live in in the end.

aricking, CarP and swordmaster like this.
  5. you should question everything that people tell you, it's better to say "the theory that god made the universe seems logical to me" than "my god is realer than yours because that's what everyone told me"

aricking, Andrew-B, Hachiraya and 2 others like this.
  6. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Religion is love, religion is life.

7. This implies that one needs a reason to question anything.

"How do you know this?" Alternatively, "prove it." Keep asking/stating this over and over, and you will probably be an atheist after a few minutes. That is, if you are honest. Religion requires that you throw intellectual honesty out the window.

There are some things I accept without knowing them to be true - for example, I assume that I will get burned if I touch a hot fying pan. But I do not know this, nor can I prove it. It is an unjustified assumption, but a very useful one. Most religious people will say that their religion is true, but will deny that they are making assumptions. This is a tell-tale mark of intellectual dishonesty.

The most important thing to know in a religious debate is when to walk away. As shitty as it sounds, people just don't agree on the definitions of "logic," "truth," "existence," "reality," "proof," or even "debate." But agreeing to definitions is crucial before a debate can even begin. Once you learn that someone isn't speaking the same language as you, and are unable to reconcile this disparity, then it's time to walk away. And some people just don't want to admit that they are wrong, because it painful. It might be painful because it damages the ego, or because it requires someone to give up a significant part of their identity, which is tied to an unjustified belief - one they might have held for many years. This is why we often see stubbornness.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Hachiraya, CarP and SickSicko like this.
  8. Candun

Candun Fapstronaut

I don't devote myself to any religion because in each one I can find something I fundamentally disagree with. And any teaching that is truly from God should be damn near perfect. I can still learn from some aspects of religion though.

But I will say both atheism and religion are "illogical" really so it does annoy me when people take the "my position is the only logical one" ground.

metobefree and CarP like this.
  9. swordmaster

swordmaster Fapstronaut

Why do you think atheism is illogical?

10. Candun

Candun Fapstronaut

Because no matter what, at some point you're going to need to say "We don't know, its beyond our comprehension" when talking about creation itself.

For religion, you could say:
    "God created the universe"
    "Who created God?"
    "No one, he was just there and always will be there. He was never created"

For atheism you could say:
    "The big bang created the universe"
    "What created the big bang and the forces that enabled the big bang?"
    "Nothing, it was just there and was never created"

There is no explanation that truly "makes sense"

aricking and CarP like this.
  11. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Why there has to be a beginning?

aricking and Hachiraya like this.
  12. swordmaster

swordmaster Fapstronaut

Yeah, I agree. Everything in life is illogical actually, because it is just within our own conscience's grasp. What if our conscience is wrong? Our senses could be wrong too. That's just life as we know it, and we know about nothing for certain inside existence, or in non-existence.

Discussing about such matters are just pass times. Accomplishes nothing like everything we do in life.

aricking likes this.
  13. Candun

Candun Fapstronaut

When talking about how we perceive things, there is always a beginning and end and nothing being created or destroyed. When you get to crazy concepts like this though, basic laws of time and physics don't apply.

aricking likes this.
  14. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

15. Candun

Candun Fapstronaut

Purpose and accomplishment is a whole other doozy lol. Even if you somehow solve the creation problem thats an omega level brain puzzler

aricking likes this.
  16. @SickSicko Found your next avatar in a Joe Exotic meme: HC Meme.jpg HC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2021
  17. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

aricking likes this.
  18. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

Religions are invented and shaped to control the earth populations. Religions are made to create a prison in your head, a limit that u would never be willing, and able, to pass through, because you will not even know, or understand, that's a limit.

Ask the jesuits, they know how to fuck up people minds...

aricking likes this.
  19. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

Religion is just an establishment of believes, a social club many times. A habit does not make a monk.

Spirituality in the other hand is an inner travel, which nobody else but you can experience and see. So in spirituality there is no ego involved which can happen in religion. Also you can be spiritual and have no religion at all.

But a religious person can be spiritual, not all religious people are bad. As not all Germans are nazis or Americans are dumb.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    aricking, Candun and Hachiraya like this.
  20. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

What being spiritual means?
    Finding your own truth, connecting to your real self which is wisdom and joy.
    Its a personal and private path. Religion can help in that path but religion can also just make you close minded and following weird costumes, doctrines and funny clothes. But there can also be very wise and unselfish people in religion with great wisdom that one can learn a lot of.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    aricking, Candun and Hachiraya like this.