1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I really quit running?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Protagonist, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

I am 5'9 and 52kg (114lbs), so you can imagine, I am extremely skinny and I've always tried to gain some weight. Regardless, I've always loved running, I used to run a lot before but I am not running much these days.

But still whenever I run my friends discourage me from running telling me that I shouldn't run as I'm very skinny and it will prevent me from gaining mass. All this has a made a drastic change in my mindset and now I have started to question myself if I should really be running.

What do you guys think? Is it okay to run if I want to gain mass?

2. MONSTER MONK

MONSTER MONK Fapstronaut

My Journal
    It all depends on your goals. If you are following a good workout plan and a diet with caloric surplus then you will gain good lean mass.
    If you love running you just need to eat the calories that you burn.

I just picked up running on a break from weights and I just love it, it requires even more coordination than lifting.
    Bottomline: Do what you like, set goals, plan accordingly. It might or might not include running

3. OhWhenThe

OhWhenThe Fapstronaut

You can still run but you need to make up for the calories burned, otherwise you're not going to put on weight(or at least not as much as you need). It's simple maths at the end of the day.

Say your maintenance calorie intake is 1500 and you start eating 2000 then you will put on weight but if you burn 500 off by running then you're going to stay the same. If you were to up your intake to 2500 then you can run and still gain weight. I'm guessing that getting those necessary calories is difficult for you so in that case you would probably be better off toning down the amount and intensity you run at. You're very underweight though(I know as I was the same) so if I were you I would focus on getting enough calories and lifting weights, maybe just a light jog now and then when you need it.

4. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

The short answer is yes you should quit running, gaining mass is an anaerobic exercise and running is aerobic. But running is good for health, you can run 1 or 2 times a week very little.

For me it's really hard to gain mass so I haven't done running in let me think... 6 years, if I sleep a little less or miss a meal I lose 2 pounds, also 30 min of running there you have it, at least a pound of bodyweight I lose. And I used to love running I could run all day in the mountains.You can't have it all, unfortunately.

Also see how your body responds, if you can run and gain mass at the same time well no problem at all.

Ps: I have earned more than 40 pounds of lean muscle mass in this time frame.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Protagonist likes this.
  5. AlphaWolf1408

AlphaWolf1408 Fapstronaut

HIIT such as sprints are ok but still not a top priority. Endurance cardio will hinder you.

When trying to gain mass (muscle):

1. Diet

2. Strength training

3. HIIT Cardio (if truly necessary)

Protagonist likes this.
  6. ByTheRiver777

ByTheRiver777 Fapstronaut

I'm your same heigt at 5'9. When I started lifting I was about 140 I am now 170.

I would quit running for the time being and start up dedicated strength programs for novices, such as Stronglifts or Starting Strength.

I'm a big believer in heart health, but I would stop the steady-state cardio (Unless you're planning on joining the military or police) and do something low impact twice a week or as a 10 min warm-up before working out, such as rowing, swimming, or using a bike.

Your heart is the most important muscle in your body and if you love running then keep running, but be aware it will be hard for you to gain mass if your volume is high.

Protagonist likes this.
  7. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

What everyone has said here to some extent: if you want to gain mass you're going to either need to quit running or massively up your diet.. and I would even say that the latter still may not do it.
    Your best bet is to quit for a period of time and wait until you've bulked up, then start experimenting with running until you look how you want.

Protagonist likes this.
  8. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

Thank you for the replies.

I have decided to quit running for the time being and focus more on building muscles via strength training and also improve my diet until I gain significant amount of weight.

9. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

if you like running dont quit,, do it just once a week after leg day exercise for 10-15 minutes just saying man, do it lightly

WalkingForward and Protagonist like this.
  10. Agent

Agent Fapstronaut

I would say, slowly start eating more caloric foods in more amounts, this doesn't mean fat foods. And keep on running

Protagonist likes this.
  11. Why not build muscle during running? How about some high intensity intervals? :)

Akbarmagnus and Protagonist like this.
  12. Yes you can run and build muscle lol. Especially if you love running then don’t stop that man..

Akbarmagnus and Protagonist like this.
  13. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

Yeah, well, I have actually started running again, although I don't run much often right now but I will.
    I was thinking about it for a while like why I was avoiding it, but after a while I said, fuck it, let's do it, because why not?
    I really enjoy it and I am going to keep doing it.
    And now I'm also working on my diet and building muscle as well.

14. rebootingtome

rebootingtome Fapstronaut

I know you've said you decided to keep running, but ... to reinforce that decision ... I ran regularly for a long time.

When I started doing weights, I didn't stop running, and I got gains. When I came back years later, started power lifting, I got gains, didn't stop running.

Running won't prevent you from gaining muscle mass in any appreciable way unless you run very long distances a lot (no, I don't mean occasional 5K or 10K runs, I mean the scale of running you do when training for marathons) or you're hitting the point where you're ready for bodybuilding competitions. It's true that distance running and power lifting are at odds with each other, but unless you're wanting to bring both to a competitive level, you're just being well-rounded.

15. SethLCU

SethLCU Fapstronaut

Speedster > all.

16. ericwilk

ericwilk Fapstronaut

Yeah, I would definitely quit running if I were you

17. GoldenStarFire53

GoldenStarFire53 Fapstronaut

I am trying to start and run again because I enjoyed it in the past and wish to get back to it, for I would wish to run more but I wouldn't say for myself to be a skinny person or to be even a fat/chubby one. Running is a healthy thing to do and instead of quitting maybe you should just do it less often and get more calories in your body than you burn. And if that doesn't work maybe quit for some time and see if you gain any weight as I see you want to do that. I am not a doctor and don't take what I say as truth, maybe you should visit a doctor or a nutritionist that could really help you with your goals and do it professionally. Never then less I do wish you the best of luck in your journey!

Protagonist likes this.
  18. Protagonist

Protagonist Fapstronaut

I used to think the same, but one day I just said, fuck it, I like doing it and I am gonna do it, nothing else matter.