1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Wake Up!

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by 4:30am, Apr 24, 2021.

1. 4:30am

4:30am Fapstronaut

Hi guys,

So I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, it's certainly self improvement and related to the circadian rymthms, so if this isn't the right place I hope the moderators will place it in the correct place, thanks in advance!

Around the same time that I started PMO in my early teens, I also started to sleep in chronically. I was always late to school, and I mean I was like the last kid to school and I think the locals knew me as 'that kid' and even when I did get to school early I wouldn't actually 'wake up' until about 11:30.

Today, for the first time in a while, I woke up at 11:30. I mean my body just gets up at that time (at latest) it was strange and I thought about it this moning and wanted to post. So I always used to blame it on my mother, who always woke up fucking late, and probably still fucking does. She was one of those mothers who took a pill, a "mother's little helper" and also complained about migranes and headaches for fucking years. Neither I or my sister have ever had a fucking migraine, and she was just fucking lazy af.

On the other hand, she married my father who was a workaholic, who would wake up at 5:30 am or earlier to go to work, and he worked 16-18 hour shifts at the factory to put us through school and give us a good life, we did not want for anything, it wasn't like we were just 'set for life' or anything, and my father put me out to work in my first job at 12 years old. I was fired from every job for being late pretty much.

So this chronic shit has reared it's ugly head up. I have gone through large patches of time waking up at around 4:30-5:30, 8:30 and just now the ugly 11:30. Sometimes I would say 'oh I needed the sleep' but I mean, wtf? I have slept so much of my life away. I am rested enough and I know it's a kind of problem.

So, there are folks who wake up at 4am, 4:30am, 5am, 5:30am and that is no matter what they did the night before whether they get their 8 hours of sleep. I just wish I had been programmed differently, and it is my wish and hope that with my new journey of Nofap that I will be able to regress and undo the damage that started when I started PMOing at 13 years old, so I can 'set a new clock' like when I was a young kid who woke up full of energy at the crack of dawn to run around the farm.

Any thoughts?

4:30am

2. 4:30am

Tomorrow's alarm is set for 04:30am.

Zephon likes this.
  3. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

Right there with you brother, though mines set at 4:45

4. 4:30am

Dammit.

Last night I couldn't sleep and so I opened my laptop and started writing.

I had a midnight snack (literally at 12am) after I found an article on a cult that has a friend of mine in it's grip, and the snack was sugary and then, ofcourse, I was up at 2:30am and relapsed because of fucking restless energy. It really fucked up my day today, I am so angry. In times like this I feel that if I cannot fall asleep that I should just play-it-through and stay up and catch up on sleep the next night.

Sometimes I feel my sleeping hours slowly get later and later. As though it's like, 8:30pm one night, then 9:30pm the next night, and then 10:30, 11:30 and before I know it, it's fucking 2am and I'm up and I'm feeling all this restless energy.

I feel like I need a mechanism to just fucking power-down and switch-off. And in an emergency just fucking take a strong sleeping pill and knock out. Because the consequences are fucking huge. Man PMO is the fucking devil within. It's not worth it.

Onwards,

5. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

Shame but not the end of the world. I'm too tired passed my bed time to pmo since I have such a regimented sleep schedule, just get over the hump of shifting sleep schedules and you're golden.

Cheers!

6. 4:30am

Shifting them schedules.
    Will get to be tired as a dog by my bed time, avoid all that nonsense.
    Back to waking up at 4:30am.
    1/1000

Get it,

7. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Sounds like maybe you need to focus on your bedtime more than the waking time. Waking at 4.30 is a hell of a lot easier if you've had a good 6, 7, 8 hours of sleep.

It might take a week or two to establish the habit, but work out a bedtime and stick to it. Dont force yourself to sleep, but after this time be in your bedclothes, nighttime routine done, no food or drink other than water and (especially) no screens. I usually sit in a chair and read fiction. Once i reach the point where i am struggling to concentrate, this is a sign that i need to try and sleep.

Hadrian3 and RealMe like this.
  8. 4:30am

I'll give that a try, I shut off the screens at 7:30pm and see reading and no food or drink, if that works for you it should work for me

9. 4:30am

Alarm set for 4:30am
    it's 7:59pm here
    Working hard.

Over,

10. Determined Dennis

Determined Dennis Fapstronaut

For some further inspiration, here is a nice passage from Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (a Roman emperor from almost 2,000 years ago)

At dawn, when you have trouble getting out of bed, tell yourself: "I have to go to work - as a human being. What do I have to complain of, if I'm going to do what I was born for - the things I was brought into the world to do? Or is this what I was created for? To huddle under the blankets and stay warm?"
    - But it's nicer here...
    So you were born to feel "nice"? Instead of doing things and experiencing them? Don't you see the plants, the birds, the ants and spiders and bees going about their individual tasks, putting the world in order, as best they can? And you're not willing to do your job as a human being? Why aren't you running to do what your nature demands?
    - But we have to sleep sometime...
    Agreed. But nature set a limit on that - as it did on eating and drinking. And you're over the limit. You've had more than enough of that. But not of working. There you're still below your quota.

Hadrian3, RealMe and fredisthebes like this.
  11. RealMe

RealMe Fapstronaut

It is 09, my default wake up time. My mom wakes up at about 4 am and my dad at 05 am. I don't know why i am like this. Before PMO i used to wake up at 06 and fairly successful in my schools. I could never felt any success after i started PMO heavily at the age of 18. I am 26 now. I feel like i have eaten away all this years in-between 18 and 26 by PMO, over sleeping. Currently i am trying to wake up at 4 am like my mother and i really want to be successful now. Give me some tips to wake up early brother. Thank you.

12. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

In addition to the above, id like to point you to Steve Pavlina. I'm not so much of a fan since he deleted the forums - havent followed him for over five years - but his blog circa mid 00s was an absolute goldmine of information. Steve experimented with sleep, diet and productivity (etc) and journalled his findings for everyone to use.

These articles are classics, plain simple advice that anyone can follow:

https://stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/05/how-to-become-an-early-riser/

https://stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/05/how-to-become-an-early-riser-part-ii/

https://stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-get-up-right-away-when-your-alarm-goes-off/

https://stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/10/how-to-wake-up-feeling-totally-alert/

13. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Just to highlight of things from my personal experience, when i have had a period of consistent early rising (right now i have a baby so it isnt always in my control!)

Once you have established a good routine, you shouldnt feel tired or struggle to get out of bed. Its not about sleeping less but increasing the portion of the day when you are productive. Most people do nothing useful after 9pm but waste time online or watch TV etc.
    Balance a morning routine with things you enjoy (for me: gentle morning yoga, preparing a healthy breakfast, having a shower, drinking coffee), things you feel good about yourself for doing or be disappointed if you skipped (for me: exercise) and things that you dont want to do but have to be done (eg housework, emptying your email inbox, sorting post). If you can get all that done by 9am, what a great start to the day!

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I may have to start doing this. I've been waking up super early (between 4-7) nearly every morning since October. It started when the clocks changed and just never went back to normal. I have no problem falling asleep, in fact I'm out like a light within minutes. But I cant seem to stop myself from waking up.

15. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Interesting. You want to sleep in later? 4-7 is a rather wide variety of times to be waking up in the morning, so i think you should first aim for consistency.

16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I want to sleep in later but it's obvious to me now that my body just wont let me. I got to sleep at the same time and when I wake up is a crapshoot. I'm not being woken up by anything so I have no idea what's happening. I don't know how to be more consistent considering I'm not trying to wake up at these times.

17. Hadrian3

Hadrian3 Fapstronaut

It's great to wake up early. My wish is to wake up before rising the sun and I enjoy watching the sunrise. But since other members of family wake up later, it's not easy to wake up so early now.

I set my alarm to 9, but I usually wake up between 7 and 8.30.

I think it's very important to get a good sleep every night. 8 hours is good enough I assume. Also a short sleep (30-60 mins) during the day is great!

18. I wake up before the sun rises every day without an alarm now, even if I have a night where I stay up late watching TV. My goal now is to get outside to watch the sun rise because I understand that has certain benefits in setting the circadian clock.

What I've done to make this a regular thing is largely a consistent eating schedule with intermittent fasting, and going out to get sun exposure during the day even if I don't always catch the early morning first light. The book the Circadian Code says the light exposure through the eyes sets the SCN in the brain and dietary timing sets other related organs. Actually a third area I've been neglecting lately is exercise but even without one of the three or for the most part it's still coasting like this automatically now for a long time now.

fredisthebes and Hadrian3 like this.