1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

No Caffeine

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Accountability Partner, May 28, 2021.

1. Accountability Partner

Accountability Partner Fapstronaut

I want to stop consuming caffeine. It's gonna be tough for me. I would try to write my struggle here and hopefully I would stay accountable to my journey. Thanks.

2. Accountability Partner

The day has started. I want to stay caffeine free. Hope I could achieve that.

Christoph108 likes this.
  3. Accountability Partner

Having the urges to consume caffeine. But I know I need to fight it. Hopefully, after two weeks, the urges would die down.

Christoph108 likes this.
  4. I am trying to quit it as well, highly addictive. Makes me sleep super bad, and making me feel super tired after not having coffee...

Christoph108 likes this.
  5. Accountability Partner

I couldn't resist today. Hoping that tomorrow would be a better day.

My trigger was drowsiness. I hope next time, I just take a nap if I felt drowsy.

Christoph108 likes this.
  6. Use other methods to combat the drowsiness. Do some jumping jacks or push ups to wake yourself up. This can cause a rush that will give us energy. Napping could be counter productive.

Christoph108 likes this.
  7. Accountability Partner

Thanks.

Christoph108 likes this.
  8. I now take a short nap in the sun. I was just doing it to get the sun but apparently the serotonin makes me sleepy. I don't end up sleeping long though because I'm outside and I'm aware of it, and keeping some water around helps a lot. I end up energized the rest of the afternoon and just generally feel good. The rest of the day I don't really feel drowsy, other than before bed time.

9. XandeXIV

XandeXIV Fapstronaut

I'm no expert, so do not quote me on this, but I heard it's risky to just go completely cold turkey with caffeine. I think it's actually recommended to slowly reduce the amount you drink. Remember that caffeine is a drug and your body really has built up a dependency on it, so going without it will take some training. Maybe ask a doctor about this.

Still, if you can just stop completely without a gradual reduction, kudos!

10. Accountability Partner

I think you have a point. I have been trying to go cold turkey and failing each time. Maybe I should wean it off gradually.

11. Accountability Partner

Each month, I plan to abstain from caffeine and each month I fail. Hoping that this June would be different.

12. Forgive my ignorance, but why do you want to quit caffeine? What does it do to you that makes you want to quit it?

13. Accountability Partner

It hampers with my sleep. And it makes me consume more sugar.

But more importantly, if I try quitting it, I become non-functional. I crave badly for it. It tells me that it is wicked. And it needs to be get rid of.

14. If you think you will be better without you should definitely quit. I usually drink one coffee when I wake up and one small cup after lunch. That's all.
    Are you taking any medications? I used to take one anti-depressing med that messed up my sleep. I thought it was caffeine, but it was the medication. I don't take anymore.

Another question.. are you most of the time at home, or do you usually go out, like work, school gym, etc?? Because staying at home too much will also affect your sleep. You will not be tired enough and your sleep schedule will go crazy.

And please please, avoid any of those off the counter sleeping meds. Those are the worse ever.

15. XandeXIV

XandeXIV Fapstronaut

I second this... I've tried these before and they help for a while but made me feel horrible in the long run. I think there is a correct way to use them but get that advice from a doctor.

There are many reasons people quit or reduce caffeine intake. And actually, doing so may be useful in our NoFap challenges, as I believe that there are thought to be some links between caffeine and libido. Certainly in my experiences, I find the struggle suddenly more difficult after a cuppa.

16. Accountability Partner

Thanks. I am not on any med. A few years ago, I had taken sleep inducing pills, not any more. And yes, it's been more than a year that I am working from home. No outing. I used to exercise till March. But haven't resumed that since then.

17. Accountability Partner

I didn't know there was a relation between caffeine and libido. But it surely was a big factor in my early NoFap journey. Caffeine would keep me awake and then I would fap to make myself asleep. No, I have adapted not to fap but caffeine intake is continuing.