1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Happy belated birthday :) May this be your best year yet! I also want to read Dune

Revanthegrey, En?gma and Atticus like this.
  2. ElSabio

ElSabio Fapstronaut

I See Satan Fall Like Lightning by René Girard

En?gma likes this.
  3. ElSabio

ElSabio Fapstronaut

En?gma likes this.
  4. BugsBunny555

BugsBunny555 Fapstronaut

If you read my next post youll see I was joking lol

ElSabio and En?gma like this.
  5. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

Politics by Aristotle, second time but this time because it’s a translation that my old political philosophy professor from university recommended to me recently. She said it was more accurate and had better footnotes.

I also follow it with Yale Open Course lectures because some of the references Aristotle makes are frustratingly obscure.

BugsBunny555 and En?gma like this.
  6. Same for Plato.

Plato mostly explain the spiritual world, Aristotle the material world, watch the paint of Raffaello about them, Plato indicate the sky and have the Timeo in his hand, Aristotle keeps his hand down with the Etica in his other hand.

Same thing for the Bibble "Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven" Matthew 6-10

Same for the Kybalion: "As above, so below, as within, so without, as the universe, so the soul"

gordie likes this.
  7. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

the Republic is so based. I read the Jowett translation when I was younger and then she also recommended me to read the Bloom (with the added section by bloom explaining it) and both times I gained so much.

En?gma likes this.
  8. The Republic was for people of his time, is based yes, but times are changed, same for Saint Paulus, they talked about slaves because was normal for their time but isn't anymore. The pillars of their teachment still resist and are part of us and we need them, but some things are passed if you know what i mean. I need absolutly to read Fedro but i'm not in a quiet state in my soul for do it right now, but i still belive that the Timeo is his masterpiece. We have too a great "Platonist" (he didn't writed only about him) in Italian, Giovanni Reale, his translation are really good.
    Anyway if i have to say something that can be based for you but normal for me, in our modernity we need to focus on Lev Tolstoj (his works after 1880), Henry Thoreau and absolutly Rudolf Steiner.

9. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I love Tolstoy. I think I recommended his books earlier. Kingdom of God is Within you and the Gospel in Brief, War and Peace and his short stories all contributed to me immensely.

En?gma likes this.
  10. ElSabio

ElSabio Fapstronaut

Lol I'm easily triggered I guess. My bad.

En?gma and BugsBunny555 like this.
  11. BugsBunny555

BugsBunny555 Fapstronaut

Me too lol. Ur good

ElSabio and En?gma like this.
  12. Revanthegrey

Revanthegrey Fapstronaut

A knight of the seven kingdoms of George R.R Martin.

Melkhiresa and En?gma like this.
  13. Yep Kingdom of God is one of his best books. i didn't read War and Peace and Anna Karenina because they are so long, if i will have a great trip i will bring one of them with me, but i read mostly of his books after his "revelation" liJe Chadzi Murat, Kreutzer Sonata, ecc...but there is some of his short stories and writings that neither you or I ever noticed.

gordie likes this.
  14. Atticus

Atticus Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

Very good work. I'm reading it alongside something that shall not be named, so it'll be awhile before I finish.

En?gma and EpsilonDelta like this.
  15. Revanthegrey

Revanthegrey Fapstronaut

@Atticus Do you recomend the novel Dune ?, it is easy to read it? .
    It is going to cinema on the next months , i saw interesting but i prefer to go and buy the book if it is good...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    En?gma and Atticus like this.
  16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I read Dune a few years back. I enjoyed it but did not find it to be as amazing as people say it is. The main thing going for it for me, is how influential it is, and the quality of the worldbuilding. I cant see the movie living up to it.

En?gma and Revanthegrey like this.
  17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I feel like I should probably explain why I dont think the Dune movie will be good.

I can already tell by watching the trailers that it wont respect the source material. There are a few key reasons for this but the big one is them changing the context for what Paul's entire mission is.

In the book, the people living on Arrakis are part of a far-flung sect of Islam. They see Paul, the main protagonist, as the man who will lead their jihad. The Islamic undertones are plain as day. In the movie, Paul does not lead a Jihad, the Islamic elements have, based on the trailers, been cut, and instead he's leading a "crusade." The people behind the new movie are cowards who would rather not offend people than actually tell the story from the book. Now will this change the actual plot? Likely not, but that isnt the point.

18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I can loop it back to being on-topic by saying I think a lot of the casting choices feel like "we need famous actors" as opposed to going for people who would be better in the roles. This is another grievance of mine, casting actors who look nothing like the book character they are supposed to be playing.

En?gma likes this.
  19. Revanthegrey

Revanthegrey Fapstronaut

Thanks, maybe i will buy it in the future.
    [​IMG]

En?gma and AtomicTango like this.
  20. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I felt the exact same way when I read it. I remember thinking how much I was going to love it when he's on his way to the planet and he's talking about the worms, the sand, the natives, the Harkonnens, the politics, the spice etc. etc. and thinking "Ok this is going to be based."

Then he arrives and it becomes the biggest Mary-Sue snooze fest with cheesy fight scenes. Felt like an editing problem or something, and made me appreciate Tolkien's ability to manage both a lot more.