1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Dec 27, 2019.

1. War and Peace by Tolstoy, a classic. Re-reading.

En?gma likes this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Yeah. I found everything APART from the actual plot really cool. The ending sets up something more interesting happening later, but I heard the other books are bad so I never bothered.

3. Atticus

Atticus Fapstronaut

I read a few chapters into this one on the beach today. It's very good, for the westerners first trip into the Buddhist world and it's psychological connections. Sadly for me, it's not my first rodeo studying the Dharma, so it's utterly useless. I'll give it away.

So instead of reading that, I'll take a quick read of t̶h̶e̶ m̶a̶n̶u̶a̶l̶ f̶o̶r̶ t̶h̶e̶ m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶n̶ w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ Brave New World, seeing how I have a nice hardcover edition just sitting on the bookshelf collecting dust.

En?gma and gordie like this.
  4. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

Did someone summon me with my 2nd favorite manual of the modern world :cool:

Reading Clockworld Orange, and it's quickly becoming my 1st favorite manual of the modern world. Can see its "prediction" running through the streets.

The Modern World is complex and there are many manuals. Star Wars the Clone Wars is one of them, but shhhhh.

En?gma and Atticus like this.
  5. Atticus

Atticus Fapstronaut

Was reading Brave New World. Realized after a few pages that I haven't forgotten most of it, thus boredom set in an I closed the book for good. It's a classic, no doubt, but I have other unread books to read. Such as,

The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky. I brought it like, three years ago, so I really should read it now.

En?gma and FirefromAbove like this.
  6. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I've been interested in Orthodox Christianity, there was a book released recently called The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware that I've been meaning to read. Sadly, I'll probably never get to it.

En?gma and Atticus like this.
  7. HE^MAN

HE^MAN Distinguished Fapstronaut

Percy Jackson trials of Apollo

En?gma likes this.
  8. Atticus

Atticus Fapstronaut

The book I used to get into it was,

[​IMG]

Short yet informative without reading like thesis on golf.

If you ever get the time, that one would be my recommendation.

Forgot to add: https://www.youtube.com/c/y2am/featured

Very good Youtube channel on Orthodoxy.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    En?gma, gordie and FirefromAbove like this.
  9. FirefromAbove

A tad off-topic. Jon Pageau has a great channel related to this

En?gma, gordie and Atticus like this.
  10. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I love Pageau. I also liked this podcast called Lord of Spirits, but my problem is that the two dudes are always chortling and it drives me insane. One is actually an orthodox priest, and I am glad they’re so joyful but they chortle after every. single. sentence.

En?gma, Atticus and FirefromAbove like this.
  11. FirefromAbove

Fr. Damick put me on the path.

En?gma and gordie like this.
  12. Great classic like Asimov Foundations, and Dune by Herbert can't be replicated in movies in my opinion. But is beautiful to think them just like they seen when they writted them, so like you are in 1950 science fiction....

13. I am reading
    Isabel Allende - House of Spirits
    Rudolf Steiner - Initiation
    and a book of spanish colonies indipendence in America during 1810-30.

Atticus and FirefromAbove like this.
  14. Guys! I need to stop to accumulate books that i want to read! Who else do it?

Atticus likes this.
  15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I think both could be adapted well if the people doing the adapting were faithful to the source material. But it seems like both Dune movies will end up missing the point of the book, while the Foundation show is contracting everything for no good reason, even though making it a show would logically mean they would not have to do this.

Revanthegrey and En?gma like this.
  16. FirefromAbove

I've bought a total of nine books in the last two weeks....

Revanthegrey, Atticus and En?gma like this.
  17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Cant help you lol, I buy in bulk as well, 10-15 at a time.

Revanthegrey, Atticus and En?gma like this.
  18. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

Also I’m reading Equus by Peter Schaffer right now. It’s good.

En?gma likes this.
  19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Just finished reading Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. This is the sixth book by him that I've read, following the First Law trilogy and the other two standalones, and I've enjoyed them all. They are rather formulaic (even the subversive elements are formulaic in the end, because they are used so much) but I have to respect the author for churning out books at a good rate that are all consistently good. I look forward to reading his short story collection and the sequel trilogy he has written, although sadly I heard those sequels are not as good.

En?gma likes this.
  20. Atticus

Atticus Fapstronaut

Guilty of this as well. My backlog could fill a small library.

At least we'll have something to read in the future.

En?gma likes this.