1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here been to therapy?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by AtomicTango, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

They have alot of responsibility on patients.. imagine if a patient suicides and the professional could have stopped that (maybe) by sending him to such place, it's not something easy to carry.

FirefromAbove likes this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Yeah that definitely doesnt happen. What I was describing is not "hearing voices" as much as it's just the brain making the wrong connection when listening to loud music that blocks out you hearing outside noises. What's actually happening is you are just hearing the music, but your brain gets confused and associates the notes with something else, in my case it being someone talking to me. Surprisingly common phenomena.

Wilde° likes this.
  3. Bill Johnson123

Bill Johnson123 Fapstronaut

Never been to therapy and to be honest I don't really like the idea of spilling your guts to a stranger (even if he is trained) only to be given some mind-altering medication and charged half your bank account.

4. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

It's not true, this "stranger" has been dedicating alot and studied for years in order to be in his position. They aren't like every other person out there, they have tools. Btw, mine is not fully cost I don't know how to call it though - and he is excellent (he does private meetings seperately)

5. Bill Johnson123

Well if it helps you, go for it.

6. Randy Andy

Randy Andy Fapstronaut

Thanks for posting this question, it's cool to see so many people open minded to hear each other's experience.
    I went to several different therapists. You can probably guess what I'm going to say next, it's the answer to "why several different ones?" :)

7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Seriously though, why several different ones?

8. Redemptionisrequired

Redemptionisrequired Fapstronaut

Many are just not qualified to do the job I guess. I'd say just make sure your therapist has a proper background to be helping you out with whatever you're going through man. PHD in clinical psychology doesn't hurt to have, not that they're all good at what they do either.

9. Randy Andy

Randy Andy Fapstronaut

I asked one what I should do in between sessions and he didn't really have an answer for me. I felt in the back of my mind I would need some way to put into practice what he taught me so that I could be free from having to act out sexually during the 167 hours between appointments. He didn't have any clear practices to suggest.
    Another I asked how long until it works. Similar thing, no clear answer. That one was talk therapy, I didn’t notice any difference much less a positive one
    I tried a different kind of therapist, even though the type of therapy was different the results weren’t there.
    I “found out” that I hated my mother. I was hoping for a solution, some way to not hate my mother and not act out sexually but I got the impression they didn't know any better than I did. It didn’t make sense to keep paying since I already knew I hated my mother, I wanted a way to change.
    After half a decade of the pain of hating people (it definitely wasn’t just my mom lol i had whole segments of humanity i was building resentments towards) and acting out more and more each year I eventually got desperate enough to try something that a friend who’s a therapist recommended that doesn’t cost money.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Yeah, makes sense. This is a concern I have for sure. Will have to wait and see.

11. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Definitely concerned that the stuff suggested to me wont actually work, and it will all end up being pointless. As I keep saying though, will have to wait and see.

What did they recommend?

12. Randy Andy

Randy Andy Fapstronaut

My therapist friend recommended I work the twelve steps.

13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Ah right. Did it work out for you?

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

It's definitely a chance you will end up with a bad one and feel dejected because of it. I'm hopeful that wont happen though.

Bill Johnson123 likes this.
  15. Bill Johnson123

Yeah. If it was me, I would be very wary of any any advice that wasn't apparently sound, and I'd definitely avoid the medications if possible. If I was in bad enough shape that the meds were necessary, I'd get at least a second opinion before taking anything, preferably from a doctor or someone that's not also a therapist and won't benefit by selling you anything. I've heard (the credibility of the sources is not guaranteed) that some of the meds can mess up/alter your mind and personality so that there's no going back even after you stop taking them, even if they do help with the depression or whatever the issue at hand.

16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

100% agree. My issue with meds, and idk maybe I'm ignorant in this topic, is that they dont really "cure" anything, they just suppress symptoms. I've listened to people talk who say anti-depressants "make the lows less low, but make the highs less high" and that does not sound appealing at all. Sure I want to reduce my anxiety and mood swings, but I dont want to be a husk either.

Bill Johnson123 likes this.
  17. Spiritual Redemption

Spiritual Redemption Fapstronaut

It didn't work for me. I know that for a lot of people it can really help and is the game changer they need, but for me it wasn't enough. I was in so much delusion, I didn't even know myself what was true or not, so I just ended up running in circles. I also didn't have the power to actually implement anything that these well intentioned people gave me. I needed the 12 Steps and the Fellowship. There are many people that have the power to change things on their own accord if they just have direction. I wasn't one of them. If any of you here feel that you're going nowhere, even though you're doing your best, going to therapy etc. I'd really recommend giving the Steps a try , it would have saved me years of pain. Anyway, just my experience. Best of luck to all of you, and wherever your journeys may take you. God Bless.

gordie likes this.
  18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thank you for the insight. I must admit, I am not entirely certain of what 12 steps is. I'm aware it's related to Alcoholics Anonymous but beyond that I dont really know. Is it something you think would help with general mental health issues, as opposed to just addiction? If so, care to explain why?

19. Bill Johnson123

That makes a lot of sense, especially putting it in the terms of just "suppressing" the symptoms. I'm not knowledgable about this, but it seems like they would have a hard time finding a drug to target one (or a few) specific emotions because it would have to exclusively effect such a small part of the brain, so instead they use "deadeners" which would deaden the whole section of the brain responsible for the problems, including the good and bad parts. This is just a guess though.

20. Randy Andy

Randy Andy Fapstronaut

Extremely well, thanks for asking! I'm very glad that guy suggested it. But I was very reluctant to go. Some people have a reason they don't like it ahead of time, I guess I just thought it wasn't that bad. When it was I went begrudgingly.