1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Quit Smoking Help

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Joserm99, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Joserm99

Joserm99 Fapstronaut

Hello brothers, it is difficult for me to quit smoking, but I am already determined to quit, some of you have had problems to give up this habit and could you help me? I am 21 years old, I have been smoking since I was 15, and as this bad vice affects with the restart, sometimes I feel that it takes away too much energy

Rexamilli Vanilli likes this.
  2. GotCaught

GotCaught Fapstronaut

I read somewhere that drinking water helps.

Rexamilli Vanilli and Joserm99 like this.
  3. Read Alans Carrs book “Easy way to quit smoking”

4. Smoking in the first cause of death (lung cancer, other smoking-related issues) in the USA, if I remember the statistics correctly. Your life-span is probably already shorter (you can google some articles), so it sucks, but the sooner you stop, the healthier you'll get.

You can add no-smiking rule to your PMO-free challenge. It's going to be harder, but extremely worth it.

Start exercising, for instance, because after so many years your lungs need some reboot of their own.
    Find a hobby.
    Avoid smokers.
    Actually, a lot of no-PMO stuff applies here, because it's an addiction as well.

Watanabe, GotCaught and Joserm99 like this.
  5. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

Try using nicotine patches

Revanthegrey and GotCaught like this.
  6. Screw nicotine patches! Screw gums etc!
    The only way to really quit is GETTING RID OF BRAINWASH! You DONT need cigarettes!

7. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

Do you drink as well? You should know that you probably can’t quit one without quitting the other. I went 40 days without alcohol when I finally kicked cigs. Temporarily quit alcohol, then put down the cigs. Don’t smoke weed or do anything that will put you in a fragile frame of mind and cause you to smoke.

i was a pack a day smoker and I quit 5 years ago and never touched again. Pm or tag me if you have more questions.

FirefromAbove, Watanabe and Joserm99 like this.
  8. Joserm99

Joserm99 Fapstronaut

Brother, thank you for your comment, it is incredible that you have already left it completely, I congratulate you on them, since it is not an easy task, and it does not go away with only 1 month 2 or 3, it is a discipline to maintain for a lifetime, I have had serious addiction problems, mostly with joints (hash) and cigarettes, with alcohol I have also abused too much of it, but it is not difficult for me to give it up as much as cigarettes and joints, I have been without drinking alcohol for about 3 weeks, and tobacco myself I know that I can actually that bastard can not with me the problem is that when I let him I usually eat about 3 times more than I usually eat in a day and I'm not exaggerating, I start to devour everything, my anxiety is too much, my health is fine, I exercise a lot and I'm in shape, but what really scares me is that, that I could perfectly gain 15 kilos, I'm also a little thin from smoking so much, and I think that's all brother. But the point has already reached that I can't take it anymore, it makes me feel very bad having to depend on that great garbage

9. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

Can I give you some hope on this part? After the 3 or 4 month mark, and maybe even earlier (maybe the 2-month mark) the cravings were gone. I have dreams where I "backslide" into smoking, but in my waking life I don't desire cigarettes at all anymore.

RavenGT likes this.
  10. Spiritual Redemption

Spiritual Redemption Fapstronaut

Hi brother! I am a fellow smoker/ex-smoker, depending on where I'm at. Quitting smoking is one of the best decisions you can make. I would recommend getting some support. Join a meeting of nicotine anonymous. I have failed multiple times at quitting smoking. But this time I've done it with support, and it's really helped. Community, and people who can empathize and understand, make a burden far more bearable. A problem shared is a problem halved.

Another thing about quitting smoking, is it's an absolute bitch. Your mind can't make sense of what's going on, your mood is all over the place, you feel sensitive and vulnerable, and just generally feel like you're going insane. If you're quitting smoking, there's nothing that you can do to skirt this. You have to move forward through the difficulty and the pain. You will in this period of withdrawal, learn a lot about yourself if you push through.

Some people have had really good results with weaning off. I.e. they used nicotine patches or gum. Personally, these never worked well for me. Another good idea is to cut down on your smoking before you quit cold turkey. See if you can gradually cut down to 2-3 cigarettes a day. The withdrawal will not be as intense. Lots of sweets and self-care really helps. Do a lot of activities that will calm you down and allow you to relax. You need to treat yourself well. Quitting smoking is no joke. Get lots of sleep, take naps, take hot baths, and try not put yourself into any stressful situations for the first 3 weeks you quit. Anyway, I wish you all the best brother, and if you need anymore help, send me a PM.

Joserm99 likes this.
  11. Joserm99

Joserm99 Fapstronaut

thanks brother comments like yours motivate me a lot

Attached Files:

12. I was never a smoker but I know the Allen Carr method helped a lot of people to quit..

Also I met someone who quit using "Champix" medication, although you'd want to research that because of the potential side effects.

13. damnthis

damnthis Fapstronaut

I smoked regularly from 14-24. I started reading "How to Change Your Mind", by Michael Pollan because I was suffering from extreme depression and figured I had nothing to lose. I took a weak tab of acid and meditated for an entire day. A few weeks later I took two very strong tabs and finished the book as I was coming up into the trip.

One of the stories in the end was about a man who took part in the Psilocybin studies at Johns Hopkins. The man was a smoker for 40 years and during one of his post-trip interviews, he was asked about his smoking habits and how they have changed. He had not smoked since the study and when asked why he stated that smoking "...wasn't relevant anymore.". I burst out laughing because I realized that I had not smoked a cigarette since the end of my last trip. That day I also somehow cured my depression that I had for many years.

I am not sure why, but psychedelics (even in low doses) have a huge effect on breaking up the circuits of addition. It's a risk, but for me it was worth it. I still occasionally smoke when drinking, but since that day I have never had an overwhelming urge to smoke like I did in the years prior.

Hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

14. Psychedelic medicine is going mainstream today also for me I gotta stop vaping hardly smoke now