1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't know if I should move out

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Biggus Dickus, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus Fapstronaut

Hello there,

so I am in a bit of a dilemma that's been troubling me for a while now. I am 26 years old and I still live in my parents house. The thing is, I don't exactly live with my parents, but I live in my own apartment downstairs, where my granny once lived, since I am 19.

I moved out of there in late 2019, because I quit my job in my home town and went to university in another city. But that only lasted for about 9 months, when I couldn't stand studying exclusively from home anymore due to Covid. I then went back to my old job, but in a different office in the neighbor city of my home town. So I moved back into my parents house, because work is not too far from there.

I am in the process of searching for an apartment in the neighbor city, but I'm afraid my heart isn't fully in it, because it just seems stupid to rent a place when I can live in a bigger apartment for free. I also kind of prefer living in my home town, because there's much more nature around.

I am in no way dependent on my parents anymore, I do everything by myself. It's also not like I am too afraid to move out. I did scarier things than that when traveling abroad by myself. Also, I moved out once as mentioned, even if it was just for a short period.

The question that remains now is: What exactly would I be missing out on if I really stayed? Am I in the process of making a capital life mistake by staying in there longer? They say for personal individuation you have to "leave your fathers house". But does that still count when I am in fact living independently?

Any opinions or experiences?

Buddhism Is True likes this.
  2. Starseeker

Starseeker Fapstronaut

2 Questions:

A) Can you afford moving out?
    B) Other than the "not relying on my parents" factor, are there any other reasons why you would rather move out?

For me moving out 3-4 months ago was one thing i count as a huge achievement for me (i'm 26 also). But that's because my living situation was less than ideal with my stuff being constantly stolen on a near daily basis and some other minor annoyances on top which meant i could never really save money (i was constantly worried about it getting stolen as well) or have much peace of mind. I do visit nearly every week for a day or so.

One thing i will say is that if your parents still do your chores and take care of everything for you, then you probably aren't as independent as you think. But if not, then i guess you have to weigh whether or not it's worth it.

P.S: One thing i forgot to mention will things be cool if friends or a significant other decides to sleepover at your current place?

3. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus Fapstronaut

A) Yes, I could afford it.
    B) Sometimes I get annoyed by my parents and I suppose what plays into that is the fact that they remind me of how I am still living there with them. I guess that's the voice in my head that insists on me moving out. Although oftentimes I don't see them at all on weekdays.

I do all of my chores myself, although sometimes I come home to find my dishes taken care off, eventhough I tell them not to. I guess that's a "parents thing".

The sleepover thing is not an issue.

4. This question doesn't have a meaningful answer. All things considered, if you are living the life that you want or laying its foundations then you might want to take advantage of the savings for a couple more years. On the other hand, if you are stagnating, playing video games and beating off all day instead really getting after what you want, and moving out would help you change that, then yeah move out.

Atticus likes this.