1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 17, 2021.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Voyager is definitely carried by the cast. There are a lot of great episodes in Voyager, but they are spread out amongst lots and lots of mediocre stuff, way more than I think any of the other shows. When DS9/TNG were at their peak, you could watch an episode at random and have a good time with it. Even when Voyager was at its best, it was still a crapshoot. The inconsistency was its biggest failing.

Mixolydian likes this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Isn't Molly only like 7 by the end of DS9? I mean I get what you are saying but I think it goes beyond having someone to write her well, it also comes down to having a 5-6 year old who can act. Unless you cast someone way older.

Cause Keiko barely appears, and when she does she doesnt do anything of note. A recurring theme I'm starting to notice.

See above lol.

I really wish Jadzia was never killed off honestly. I understand the actress wanted it, but it felt pointless so late in the game. Ezri gets introduced, you kinda get to know her, then it's over.

Was making a joke. Cause all Troi does a lot of the time is state the obvious. A man could be screaming in her face and she'd say "I'm sensing anger from you"

Mixolydian likes this.
  3. I'm actually with you on that, now that I've gone through most of the show. Season 3 and 4 are engaging. Granted, numerous characters are extremely wooden (Travis, Hoshi, Reed to some extent) and Trip's and T'Pol's romance is... lacking, to say the least, but I was surprised at how much the quality rose so quickly. I wish the show continued like it did, but... alas, we're stuck with Discovery and Picard now...

Phlox is a real one. :emoji_joy: Arguably the best character on the show. Though I have a spot for Shran as well.

4. Ah, good point. Even trying my hardest, the youngest actors that were good at their roles in most forms of media that I can think of were closer to 10-12.

Same... there was still an opportunity to improve her character. I get the actress was fustrated with her character (if memory serves), but it still hits a bit. :emoji_sweat_smile:

Oh, that went right over my head. :emoji_joy: But seriously, though... she really does do that. :emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy: To be honest, I'm not sure why her character was on the show. Besides sex appeal, of course.

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I tried to find why she actually quit. The closest thing to an official source is she was simply tired of the show and the chaotic schedule. But I've also heard that she wanted to stay on, just as a recurring character, not a main cast member. Rather than give her that the producers let her go,

It's the influence of Rodenberry. None of the other shows have counsellors until Ezri and honestly I think they made her one just to make her different from Jadzia. Honestly I understand the reasoning behind having one, but Troi really should not have been a bridge officer. I mean crap, she outranks Data and Geordi by the end. And as soon as she is given control of the ship, she crashes it...

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The logistics of the Dominion War are really starting to confuse me now.

It's stated that the Dominion managed to conquer Betazed, which puts them in spitting distance of the core worlds, Vulcan, Earth, Tellar Prime and Andoria. Basically right in the heart of Federation territory. But how in the hell did they manage this without also being able to retake DS9, when DS9 is right on the edge of Dominion/Cardassian space? How did they get that far in without being noticed, even if the fleet protecting the planet was away, surely SOMEONE would have noticed this going on. Are Starfleet truly this incompetent?

Mixolydian likes this.
  7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

So, Valiant. @Mixolydian was this the episode you said you hated?

8. ...I just got conniptions. Yes, yes, it is. I can't recall why I hate it as it's been years since I've watched that episode to its conclusion, but I know to stay away from it.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm not the only one. Some article called it a "steaming mess". I'd drink to that.

9. Ahh, that would've been better. No Ezri and while Jadzia is far from perfect, she is better when she's not a main character.

When did she crash the ship?! That's hilarious! :emoji_joy:

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Why do you hate it?

In one of the movies, she outright destroys the Enterprise D.

11. But if I try, I think at least part of the reason I hated it was because... I think the squad wanted to do something that would obviously fail and Nog stupidly falls for it and Jake, JAKE is the only voice of reason, but they don't listen because they think they're awesome. I despise tropes like that, it just gets under my nerves really easily.

Ahh, that's why I didn't know about it. I've never watched most of the movies. :p

12. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

On one hand, I like what they are clearly trying to do. The way the cadets can barely destroy a single Dominion ship at the start sets up that what the main characters do regularly is actually really hard, and not as easy as they make it seem.

But damn the cadets are annoying. Like really, really annoying. If I was in Jake's situation I'd have told the captain to piss off when he tried to scold me for TALKING to one of the other cadets.

Mixolydian likes this.
  13. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

I actually really liked this episode. Its a popular opinion that this episode sucks among alot of the fans. I liked what they tried to do though. I just let it slide cause they are unsupervised cadets they aren't gonna think like an experienced officer. Basically teenagers incharge of a warship.

Star Fleet pumped them all with a shit tone of "you're so special and amazing and smart" juice which gave them an oversized ego. Alot of people disagree with me when I talk about this episode cause I mostly blame Star Fleet for this since they thought it was a good idea to jam a shit tone of cadets with a few actual officers in deep space on a warship. Yea they couldn't have known a war of that magnitude was going to break out thus putting the Valiant at risk, but it was still thier decision. As far as the cadets go as soon as they got warp power back on they should have set a course to earth and not look back. But thier inexperienced egotistical teenagers. To me thier decisions make sense when I look at it that way.

14. Melkhiresa

Melkhiresa Fapstronaut

iv only watched a few star trek movies so far but how would something like this even work, i mean where does the energy come from?

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Yeah I get that. For me though, how annoying the characters are outweighs the point they were making. Apparently the OG story had Kira involved, and they had to change it cause Kira would obviously just "kick all their asses and take command" which I find funny.

Another thing I find funny is how the Vulcan cadet in the back doesnt chant during the scene in the mess hall. I can only imagine what he's thinking during all this.

16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Was just a joke lol.

17. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Women drivers! :p

Only joking before I get phasered. :rolleyes:

18. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Mainly just fucken around. We were wondering just how far can his shape-shifting go. Just how real of whatever he shapeshifted to is real or is it all just a approximation. The show doesn't really explain this but they sort of do. It's a bit vague. But as far as him turning into a fully functional photon torpedo or a galactic center, yea we are just fucken around.

What movies have you seen? I only like the Wrath of Khan, The Voyage home, First Contact, and The Undiscovered Country. Undiscovered Country is my favorite.

Melkhiresa likes this.
  19. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Lol I forgot about that little detail that Vulcan. He must've been thinking to himself "I'm so royaly fucked" lmao.

20. Melkhiresa

Melkhiresa Fapstronaut

wrath of khan and a bunch of newer ones, but i believe that trekkie don't consider them to be true star trek.