1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 17, 2021.

1. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Well the newer ones are on the "Kelvin Timeline" I think its called so in other words it isn't really cannon. I enjoyed watching them I suppose but thats about it. Personally I don't consider it Star Trek.

2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The Reckoning, Time's Orphan, and The Sound of Her Voice. What do we think of these episodes?

3. Melkhiresa

Melkhiresa Fapstronaut

just had to write this somewhere, today is a historic day, 1B ppl have been rickrolled, make us believe anything is possible now.

4. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

The Reckoning I thought was dumb af.
    Time's Orphan was okay I guess. Not much to it.
    Loved The Sound of her Voice. Very neat episode. Cool concept.

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

More or less agreed. I liked the latter two but the former was kinda ass.

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Tears of the Prophets is an episode that does a good job with a bad setup. I just dont think Jadzia being killed off was a good idea and if I didn't know the actress quit, I would have assumed that anyway. A lot of what Jadzia (and Worf to a lesser extent) have gone through is rendered essentially pointless because it ends up going nowhere, and introducing a new character in the final season I also thought was a bad idea. I cannot comment on Ezri because I need to see her episodes again to form an opinion, but I do remember disliking a lot of the episodes that focus on her.

7. Aw dude, I forgot about that. Yeah, never watching it again. :emoji_joy:

8. Man, what's wrong with The Reckoning? That's one of my favorites. :eek:

9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

For me it comes across as really silly, and not in an entertaining way. Decent setup I guess, but as soon as Kira and Jake are shooting lasers at each other from across the promenade it descends into farce. Not a bad episode, but not a favourite of mine.

To be honest, in general I think a lot of the religious stuff in seasons 6 and 7 is kinda iffy. I mean look at Tears of the Prophets. In that episode Sisko ignores the Prophet's warning, Gul Dukat teleports into the shrine, damages the orbs, closes the wormhole, and kills Jadzia. This is played off like it is somehow Sisko's fault but logically, how? Even if Sisko was physically with Jadzia when Dukat beamed in, what would he have done? I know they are trying to link it back to The Reckoning by having the prophecy unfulfilled and it being THAT that leads to the events of the finale, but even with that taken into account, it's still not Sisko's fault, it's Kai Winn's.

10. In general I don't think Star Trek did the religious stuff well. For me it feels like the religious stuff is just fashionable belief, like preferring one type of government to another; you never really got much of a sense how those religious beliefs informed Bajoran ethics and so the whole Bajoran religion thing felt shallow, like it was never really lived into, never really inspired any great saints or sages. I think this was the case because the basic Star Trek universe is very secular, none of the humans in any of the shows that I can remember ever expressed if they had any religious beliefs (except maybe those episodes in TNG when Enterprise is sent to relocate some Native Americans who practice their ancestral ways). I think this is a reflection of Roddenberry's basic worldview and it infected the rest of the writers too. You can see when the topic of religion is brought up, they handle it very poorly.

Babylon 5, on the other hand, now that was a great show from a religious aspect.

11. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I also think it's hard to detach the religious elements of DS9 from the episodes themselves. I dont know about you, but I much, MUCH prefer the episodes dealing with Cardassians, or the Dominion, or the Ferengi, or pretty much anything instead of the religious stuff. In general the Bajoran religion seems like another way to make the Bajorans seem primitive and superstitious, which is an odd direction considering their gods are provably real.

Two factions that handle this better are the Klingons, whose belief system is quasi-religious or at least heavily spiritual, and the Dominion, who of course worship the Founders as living deities.

I need to watch this show.

Mixolydian likes this.
  12. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

LMAO I was just about to bring up Babylon 5 in comparison to Star Trek when it comes to handling religion. Babylon 5 did a far better and realistic job in expressing religion in their show. But on the other hand B5 was a bit more grounded in reality in terms of how human beings acted while Star Trek was working within the confines of Roddenberry's vision, made it difficult for the writers to express religion among other things. With those restrictions though they did an amazing job over all IMO. But any way I don't want this to turn into a Star Trek, B5 debate so Ill just end it their.

13. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Okay I know this is a Star Trek thread so Ill just make this quick. B5 IMO is sooooo worth watching. Don't get caught up in all the DS9 vs B5 drama. Fuck that. Just watch the show.

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Definitely will at some point.

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Watched the first two episodes of season 7. Just a few quick thoughts cause I dont have much time.

Ezri is kinda annoying at first. I understand why they did that but yeah.

Kira is a moron when dealing with the Romulans and Admiral Ross bailing her out was a bit of a cop out, even if it kinda had to happen.

I love the exchanges between Weyoun and Damar.

Sisko acting like a lunatic is always entertaining but it's weird that everyone just entertains it at this point.

Mixolydian likes this.
  16. I just finished watching the first 2 episodes of DS9 and, uh... yeah, rewatching this is going to be fun. :p I love that the show starts with Sisko being at Wolf 359. You gotta love continuity. Forgot how ridiculous Kira's hair was in the first episode, though. It caught me off guard. :emoji_joy: I also loved the stuff with the Orbs and Sisko explaining linear existence to the Prophets. It was especially funny that they kicked out Dax by transporting her out of the wormhole with an Orb. :emoji_joy:

Kinda funny the Federation thought they could fight off a cube with Miranda ships, though.

Second episode was a lot of fun. I forgot that the victim was actually a clone, so watching the mystery unravel was extremely entertaining.

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

@vikingsarehere The mods have removed our entire conversation regarding the politics of Trek. I did not report you and I hope none of the other regular commenters here did either. The whole point of this thread was to discuss Star Trek, which is what we were doing. I'm not happy that they have done this.

Mixolydian and TrueSaiyan2.0 like this.
  18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I think The Emissary is the best opener to any of the shows. In general I really like seasons 1 and 2 of DS9, they have a cozy, low-key feel to them before the Dominion stuff kicks in.

Mixolydian likes this.

19. I’m a huge Next Generation fan. My Aunt had toys of John Luc Picard saying his catch phrases. I turned to watching it daily with my mom and the show glued to me. Tried watching Deep Space Nine. But I couldn’t get into it. Watched a few episodes with Dwarf and O Brian.

20. The mods are getting out of hand. What does it have to do with anything?