1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to let go of the past?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Can you recommend any resources like a good book on the topic of dwelling on the past?

2. Just know that all the greats had fucked up pasts. They've all done stupid, cruel, embarrassing and/or dangerous things. People who've never made any significant mistakes are usually soulless and overall lack charisma.

3. visionarysanitation

visionarysanitation Fapstronaut

book by loch kelly named shift into freedom. the only real way I've found to move on from the past is to no longer identify with the ruminating thoughts. then you see that the thoughts were much less substantial than you had previously taken them to be. he has some free stuff on his youtube that is helpful if you want to see what he's about.

4. Redemptionisrequired

Redemptionisrequired Fapstronaut

Although I don't have a specific book to recommend, I'd say a really good tool is meditation. Learning to not identify with your thoughts as mentioned above. As it pops into your mind, just let it pass, like a cloud. Don't engage with it. The more you do this, the less the more painful/sad/angry thoughts of the past will return. By stopping yourself from engaging with these thoughts, you train yourself to make peace with the thought itself and store it away and teach your mind this is no longer needed. If you engage in it, well your are just strengthening it. It is bound to return. It's very similar to addiction really. In this case addiction to ruminating over the past. Another tip would be, if it occurs a lot. Write it out. Explain to yourself why this thought is not helpful to you today.

I mention all this because I have been plagued by this, I'm not free of it yet, but I have made huge improvement since I started my practice.

Hope this helps.

5. visionarysanitation

it's true, we are all addicted to thinking

6. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

Books? This is a MUST read for this topic: "The power of Now" - Eckhart Tolle
    My answer to your quesion: just focus on the present moment. The time you spend thinking of the past is time you are wasting

7. I've heard of him, yeah maybe I should get the book. Thank you for the recommendation.

DiegoSR likes this.
  8. Watanabe

Watanabe Fapstronaut

Letting Go : The Pathway of Surrender by Dr David R Hawkins, or doc to those that love him.

9. Meditation + therapy :)
    The problem with books is that it’s just knowledge. Nothing more

10. visionarysanitation

therapies essential. most universities offer really cheap therapy because final year students need to practice a certain amount of hours before becoming registered clinicians.