1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 17, 2021.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The same is true for all the romances in the show honestly. Rom and Leeta, Sisko and Cassidy, even Kira with her past boyfriends. They all dont get enough screen time for us to truly give a damn about them, but the inverse of that is giving them more screentime would detract from the stuff people actually watch the show for.

Maybe Gene was onto something when he didn't want this kind of stuff originally...

2. Huh, I didn't expect these answers. I tend to find criticisms of him. Personally, I've a bit of a bias since Kira is Odo's girl, dammit :p, but I thought he was rather dull and uninteresting. Probably related to your observation that it's actually kinda hard to care about any of her past relationships. Usually, when he's involved in an episode, it's about Bajoran culture and religion and while I don't mind these aspects of the show, I can't say they're super interesting, excluding the Prophets and Pah-wraiths.

3. Unsure yet, I took a break from watching. It took me a little over a week to get to Season 4. That's a lot of DS9. :emoji_joy:

4. I can't disagree. Rom and Leeta, I don't think belong together. It's obvious that Cassidy is just there as a romance for Sisko and nothing else. It's clear that the romance in the entire series of Star Trek really isn't well written.

5. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

None of the Star Trek romances really do anything and have pretty much no effect. Ryker/Troy, and that one episode where Ryker gets involved with a woman of a speacies that do not have gender are about the only times where IMO did it actually matter but even then it didn't really effect much. The woman that played the piano with Picard was a cute relationship I guess but thats about where that one ends. That relationship had potential IMO but like all of thier romances they just don't go anywhere.

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Agreed. The one-off romances seem more fleshed out somehow, even though that makes no sense. Most of the time characters do not change how they are in any meaningful way when they start a relationship, and the only times I can think of where they do it makes the character worse, like Odo.

7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges. I have no idea how I forgot about this episode but it was a great one. I really like how Section 31 are presented in DS9, less so in every other show they appear in.

8. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Lol yea. Don't get me wrong there is plenty of dumb one off romances but it seems as a general rule they are better written than the ones that continue on which, as you said, makes absolutely 0 sense.

Oh this is a good one. Had to Google the name. Really sad episode too. Seeing Star Fleet blatantly interfere with other cultures was kind of sad to see. Its a great name for the episode. Captures it pretty well.

9. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Thats interesting. I haven't noticed many negative things spoken of him, and I think he has a very satisfying character arc.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Penumbra, the first episode of the finale. I remember liking the finale a lot but not the final episode itself, will be interesting to see what I think nearly 5 years on from that.

One thing I'm really starting to be confused about is what the Prophet's plan actually was/is. What I mean by that is I understand what they want, but I dont get why it has to be Sisko specifically. If anything it technically could have been anyone. Am I wrong about this? Is this explained in an episode I have yet to rewatch? The more I think about it the more it seems like it's circular logic, where it had to be this way for the plot to happen, and for the plot to happen it had to be this way.

11. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

This may sound lazy but I've always kind of ignored alot of plot points that involved the prophets. There is alot of unexplained aspects of them. For one they never explain why exactly they interfered so much in developing Bajoran culture (If they did please correct me cause I'm quite certain there isn't a clear reason). Why would beings like them even care about it. Why is Bajor so important to them and why was it so important to shape aspects of thier culture accordingly. The prophets are an important aspect of DS9 and to leave such an obvious (and IMO important) question unanswered always left a small thorn on my side as I watched it. Again if they answered this in the show please share it cause I can't recall them giving a solid reason.

12. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I dont think they ever answer this directly, at least I dont remember it. I have to assume the reason is just that Bajor is near the wormhole.

13. Why the heck is the president of Earth an alien?

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

He's not the president of Earth, he's the president of the Federation. Earth has its own separate human government but they dont show it in the episode to avoid confusing people.

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Just a heads-up for anyone living in the US. Netflix are removing Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise at the end of this month. In other places too but I dont know the other places. I'm fine because I live in the UK and I have to assume that is because we have no CBS streaming or anything like that, so Trek kinda has to be put on other platforms.

16. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Got rid of my Netflix a good time ago. They keep canceling shows and its getting annoying. I plan on getting Hulu again once the 3rd season of the Orville is out so I plan on using that for a while for my Trek.

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I plan on cancelling once I've rewatched Trek and the last season of Better Call Saul is out. I expected that to be this year but it wont be cause of covid.

18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I hate to say it being such a big fan of DS9, but the stuff with Kai Winn and Bajoran Dukat in the finale episodes is terrible. The whiplash I get when we swap from the interesting war stuff to them sitting in bed eating fruit is so jarring it actually annoyed me when watching last night. I also dont really care about Sisko's marriage. Show me more war drama dammit!

19. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

The worse part about the finale is they actually had the audacity to OPEN UP THE FINAL EPISODE OF DS9!!!! With Ezri and Bashir in bed???????? "Vomit".

You are so right. The war drama was strong and fucking great. Maybe it was a budget issue to where they couldn't do a shit tone and if that's the case I would have been fine with a shorter finale but with more fleshed out war drama. That would have been the finish DS9 deserved. Overall though it was good. Did it have silly pointless shit in there? Yes. But the actual conflict scenes were great. Seeing the female changeling just say "Fuck it!!! Kill them all" and the cardasians then witness the full weight of the consequences of thier actions crashing down on them was just satisfying though very sad.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

The Ezri and Bashir stuff is also really stupid and meaningless. I feel like it would have been better if Ezri decided to not enter into a relationship with ANY person she knew prior and just go her own way. As it stands she's not in the show long enough to really stand out all that much, and the stuff she does do is her defining herself by how she's not Jadzia, as opposed to being her own person.

My issue is that anything that isnt the war drama stuff takes away limited screentime from the war drama stuff. It's gotten to a point where even the Sisko scenes are boring to me cause I dont give a damn about petty marital drama when I could be watching Weyoun, Damar, or one of the other characters do something more interesting. We have scene after scene of Sisko and Kassidy in their quarters or of Dukat and Winn annoying Winn's assistant, but nowhere near enough scenes of the good stuff.

It's honestly disappointing me because I always considered DS9 to be the best Trek, but upon my recent rewatches I have to admit I kinda enjoyed TNG a bit more. Season 7 of TNG might still be mostly bad imo, but everything else I like (yes, even seasons 1 and 2, they have a hokey earnestness that I appreciate) while DS9 has diluted itself more and more as we moved into season 6 and 7. I think the downturn started after they retook the station, because after that the tension was deflated pretty much from that point on. The buildup to the war is better than the actual war.

gsherman100 likes this.