1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 17, 2021.

1. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

That's interesting you say that about your DS9 rewatch. The very first time I watched through the Trek series DS9 was my all time favorite. It wasn't until I rewatched Voyager a second time did I begin to gravitate towards voyager. And beyond that I just finished TNG and Voyager a couple weeks ago (I don't have a streaming service at the moment otherwise I would be going through DS9 right now) and it seems the more I go through each series the less gravity I feel towards any of the three in terms of deciding a favorite.

I'm glad you can see the flaws in it. I am in a couple Star Trek Facebook groups and one of them for DS9. For some reason I find it more difficult to speak in that group than others. For some reason in my experience DS9 fans have a difficult time excepting the show does indeed have flaws. Don't get me wrong lord knows Voy and TNG most certainly has its flaws but it annoys me when I point out poor writing decisions and people still argue it as "groundbreaking".

There is nothing wrong with DS9 being anyone's favorite (so long as it ain't Disco and Picard lol. If you want flaws look no further). It deserves to be a favored Trek but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its problems.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm really looking forward to rewatching Voyager. Enterprise too.

When I watched DS9 the first time and I got to seasons 6 and 7, I was watching 5-6 episodes a day. I didn't give myself enough time to really think about what I was watching and it all became a blur. Now that I'm only watching an episode a day, I can really start to understand that there's a lot of stuff in the later seasons I dislike.

I think the attitude some fans might have is that DS9 is the deeper, grittier show and the underappreciated black sheep. Even though it's not the 90's and everyone knows how good it is now. An element of elitism and hipsterism combined together.

Anyone who even likes those two shows should be put on a watch list.

3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

One episode to go until DS9 is done. I think the final arc picks up massively once the Dukat/Winn stuff takes a backseat. I liked almost everything about the last couple of episodes except...

The Ferengi stuff is really dumb. Like really really dumb. I understand what they were trying to do with it but Rom being made the Grand Nagus ensures that Ferengi civilisation is going to collapse regardless of his policies. He's an engineer, not a statesman, a better outcome for Rom would have been him joining Starfleet as a crewman (thus making it so he didnt need to go to the academy) and then we could see father and son in Starfleet uniform together. Could have even had a joke where Nog is Rom's superior or something idk.

I also find the way that they cure Odo convenient as hell, even contrived. What I dont understand is, why did Section 31 even have an antidote at all? For what purpose? Unless they always intended to use it as a bargaining chip but if that were true, surely Sloan would have said so. The entire episode felt weird to me, I would have preferred Bashir drawing upon his extensive knowledge and experience to solve it, maybe recruit his augment friends for one last mission. As it stands it's half weird dream episode, half Bashir/Miles episode, and it's not amazing at being either.

4. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Yea the writers dropped the ball towards the end I think and you are 100 percent right about Rom. Why the fuck would he be qualified to be the grand nagus. The dude sees a sweet peace of ass and loses all coherency, and they got him running a massive empire.

Bashir and his crannies would have been a great way to approach that. I never considered that. A group of exceptional minds would have made more sense to the story to create the cure than just "Oh we have the cure btw" when there is no reason for them to even create one.

AtomicTango likes this.
  5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

"It's like I said. The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Well I just got done with my rewatch of DS9. Such a fantastic show. Flawed, in more ways than I realised during my first watch, but fantastic all the same.

Next up (after a short break) Voyager.

6. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Nice. The zoom out. Great way to end the show.

7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

On the whole I liked the finale, but it doesnt hold a candle to All Good Things. Then again, what does? The final shot of that is so perfect.

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I think my biggest issue with the finale of DS9 is how damn abrupt it is.

On the war side, it seems awfully convenient how things play out. After 2 years of being on the back foot, suddenly they deal with the Breen weapon and then suddenly start to be able to win? I appreciate that the Cardassians turned against the Dominion too but it was always established the Dominion have a silly number of ships compared to other factions. It should not have been so easy to just sweep the floor with them for the sake of ending the story. Felt contrived. As did nobody but Odo thinking to use the cure as a negotiating tactic earlier. If it were possible for Odo to link with the changeling and change her mind, why was this not possible earlier, back in season 6? I dont get it.

The prophet stuff was lame. Sisko just gets a random urge to go to the fire caves, Dukat turns into an anime villain and then Sisko pushes him off a cliff. Wow, how climatic that was. Sisko vanishing in general is pretty lame honestly.

9. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

@Everyone

Got an off-site message from @AtomicTango

He's been muted for two weeks.

He wishes you the best. He'll return to the discussion when he gets back.

10. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

We shall hold the fort.

FirefromAbove likes this.
  11. I didn't really read through this thread because I'm late to the party. I love all Star Trek but just wanted to express my appreciation for DS9. IMO the absolute best because the show is primarily character driven. A great show is made through its character relationships and none of the other series pulled it off as well as DS9....especially the "frenemies" relationships. Odo and Quark, Garak and Bashir, Kira and Ducat....the list goes on. Interlaced with so many comical moments like this one. Classic!

AtomicTango and gsherman100 like this.
  12. Sammy00

Sammy00 New Fapstronaut

Just finished watching the season 5 finale of DS9

AtomicTango and gsherman100 like this.
  13. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Nice. 1st time going through it?

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I love DS9. It's my favourite out of all the Trek shows, probably my favourite show in general. Definitely a cut above imo.

Billybrasco likes this.
  15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm back!

Just after I was muted I started my rewatch of Voyager. Nearly done with season 1 as we speak. I have to say, while it's not as good as DS9 was at the same part of its run, I am enjoying it a lot more than I remembered it. I recall a lot of you saying you liked Voyager a lot?

16. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Welcome back.

I really enjoyed it personally. I just really hate episodes that deal with anything with the Kazon and the romance between Neelix and that one chick is vomit worthy. But other than that there are alot of strong episodes in the early seasons IMO.

Jetrel, Eye of the Needle, and Phage are my favorite episodes in season one.

AtomicTango likes this.
  17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Agreed. The Kazon are pretty lame and I find it odd that they attempted to push those to the forefront as opposed to the Vidiians and the Sikarians, who were part of the main three aliens they tried to make work in the early seasons. Obviously in the end, none worked out, but still, why feature the least interesting of the three the most?

18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

Is this the greatest line in TV history?

GigglingTrout likes this.
  19. skyrimfanpaul

skyrimfanpaul Fapstronaut

liked that, made me laugh :)

i image also the teen saying , yeah and they shootz lazers out their eyes, and can turn people inside out and other cool sheet!

AtomicTango likes this.
  20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Hi Paul, hope you are doing well. You a fan of Star Trek?