1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Detox

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Mazda647, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

The video game detox thread has increased my reflection on my anime consumption.

With the start of the fall 2021 anime season I proceeded the past few weeks to dive into about six new shows. I have to ask, do I really need to watch six shows at once?

As it stands I know I'm not getting the enjoyment out of the shows as I could. The main reason being I haven't properly set aside a time and pace to view the shows. When I start I tend to lose myself. Usually it's when I should be working or doing house hold chores.

I leave this thread here for anyone who believes they need an anime detox.

Today I start a 30-day no anime challenge. On Nov. 26 I'll consider watching one episode.

TrueSaiyan2.0, V∧DΞR and 88991s like this.
  2. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

The temptation is there but I'll let it pass. :)

V∧DΞR likes this.
  3. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

About twelve days thus far.

I've noticed it before in other areas and I notice it now. What to replace the "void" with. There was a routine. Sometimes I'd check the streaming sites more than once a day.

There are things like chores I can do, that is good. Another important thing I can see clearer now is to try something new. Part of the reason or going from show to show is to chase the new. So, I'm always going to look for something new. The question is, what?

V∧DΞR likes this.
  4. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

I was preparing some lunch and the thought of watching a show seemed mighty nice.

In other news, I installed some new smoke detectors in my house. They were dated 2004. The word is to replace them every ten years.

V∧DΞR and Oliver Gunter like this.
  5. V∧DΞR

V∧DΞR Fapstronaut

Are you taking a break from anime completely or are you watching some clips on youtube?
    How has it helped you till now, what changes do you feel?

I am asking cuz I've stopped watching entire shows for over a year now but I do find myself watching some clips from MHA and stuff. The only benefit I see is that I am no longer daydreaming maladaptively, which is a big plus for me.

6. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

Great questions @V∧DΞR

I never took notice until now that I haven't been watching anime clips on YouTube. Prior to stopping I had been watching come clips and took not I didn't get the enjoyment out of them I used to. Another thing I was into was YouTube anime reactions. I'd watch the show then sink myself into seeing what other people thought. Mostly, I believe, to get a validation of something I liked. In a way I can see the reactions having been used as a one sided form of social interaction. I had to stop an think about what I was really getting out of the reactions. YouTube comments I can see being used in the same way.

Changes are a little harder to describe. Mainly I just fill the time with something else. Sometimes it's a productive thing. I do seem to be more liable to do something like clean my bathroom or put on a slow cooker supper.

V∧DΞR likes this.
  7. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

i thought im the only one,, idk i day dream a lot especially in my favorite anime world. I cant sleep withouth day dreaming it first

8. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

I'll admit, I have day dreamed about anime worlds.

Just decided to do a quick search and read an article on day dreaming. The hard part for me is to accept day dreaming to be a normal part of life. I am aware my day dreaming of fantasies can slant to negative outcomes. Embracing day dreaming seems like it could be a positive way to keep moving forward.

A little blurb from the article:

You can actually help your improve your memory by daydreaming about events as long as they are relatively close to reality. This can actually help enhance your memories of the experience and therefore you will have a better chance of remembering them in the future.

"Relatively close to reality." stands out to me. I can have a hard time remembering things. Part of this may be brought on by me getting lost in the idea I have difficulty remembering.

hollyman likes this.
  9. V∧DΞR

V∧DΞR Fapstronaut

Day dreaming is cool but to waste time on what cannot really happen is not. Day dreaming acted like an escape from reality, times back then were stressful. Back when I used to watch anime and read mangas, I used to get urges to daydream and sometimes in class too. This wasted a lot of time. After I quit them both I found out I had a lot of time and like how Mazda647 said I filled it up with some productive things such as exercise and meditation.

Reaction videos were never a thing for me but I did watch a few of them before, for the same reason of validation.

The vid that made me aware of this habit was:

hollyman likes this.
  10. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

but anime is unreal so the day dreaming that prolong our brain maybe day dreaming about past event not a fictional event

funny tho back then when i was still playing video games, this day dreaming is like much stronger + when i relapse there are some time i really just freeze day dreaming in the middle of activities its scary but quiting anime by cold turkey maybe i cant do that yet but i do some restriction on it by only watch 3 title anime and 1 mangga per week

11. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

maybe i check this vid... thank you

may i ask u a question does your memory increase i mean i forgot a lot is this have some correlation?

12. Weird you have said this. I actually Detoxed with Anime and sitcoms back in High School which was 12 years ago for me. Funny thing is the more and more I watched, the funnier it was to me. I would be up until 2 in the morning knowing I have to go to school the next day to finish a Anime. If you want a good Anime to watch on Nov. 26 I've been watching SK8 The Infinite. First time ever watching something dealing with Skating. Last close anime was Air Gear. haha

Non the less. The best tip I have is take week's off and live life. Watched High School Anime's. Allot of them... Now realizing I was into them because they meant something to me. I had a circle of friends just like the show's. Drama, fitness, sports, etc... It was interesting for me to see the difference in a Japanese high school point of view. It's much like the same in America but more organized and uniformed.

I took a long brake for a while back in 2020. Weird enough all of my friends were getting into Anime and I got bored. They didn't even listen to me when I told them about a great show back then and now they are all into it. I can tell you I have watched only two since last year..

Good luck on the streak and come back when your ready! :)

13. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

Hi @TrueSaiyan2.0

Thanks for the reply. I can say those high school anime did have an appeal to me. The were the live action school aged dramas back when I was a teen but they didn't click the same. When I got into them I was well into my twenties. There was something in them I longed for. A representation of missed opportunities from back when I was that age. While not anime, the Great Teacher Onizuka manga was my first exposure to that style and I absorbed my self in it. When I read it during my early/mid twenties I really was still a teen up in my head.

I do know I can not go back to watching anime as a form of medication The step forward I see is to acknowledge these kind of things are something I was or am interested in. During high school I did have some fellows I'd chat a bit about the latest Star Trek episodes with. When it came to anime I only talked about it with my brother. Even there out own interests would branch apart. The big thing about life is understanding everyone continues to grow along their own path.

Reflecting farther, I remember my father saying to me he wasn't interested in that "animated crap". This hurt because I wanted to share this interest with him. Now I understand it's OK he wasn't interested. There was the necessary weening of his approval I needed to go through. It's unfortunate he has all ready passed away.

TrueSaiyan2.0 likes this.
  14. I’ll tell ya. My parents didn’t understand it either. But I continued watching and I found joy in the color of it, just everything was brighter and more vivid is to why I probably liked it. I remember talking to someone who just started Full Metal Alchemist if you’ve viewed it. He said it was hard to go back in forth between real tv and such, but I understood it.

I think I wanted the whole high school relationship part. Is to why I got interest in them. I always wanted a High School sweetheart but it never happened. I think it was my receptor dopamine kick to see it happen for someone else. Shuffle! Was one of them… Amazing show. Probably my favorite HS genre. I got into dark ones like Higurashi when they cry. I’m not sure to this day why people enjoy so much the dark side of Anime’s. Im always a norm when it comes to them. Haha

Brother don’t take it personally parents just don’t understand since it seems foreign to them. One of my parents never got into video games as it gave them a headache from motion. But hey they are more into reality and that’s not a bad thing at all. :)

I actually day dreamed allot especially Dragonball or Gundam. Lol

Mazda647 likes this.
  15. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

Never had the HS sweetheart either. No prom date. Been a long road but now I'm getting married next year.

16. I had one prom date. Realized it was a waste of my time especially since she was clearly not interested in me. I never went again and I don’t feel to bad about it

17. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

Probably a little residual longing for the prom thing. Thinking, most of it probably comes from what I've seen about proms in TV after I graduated. I can see today going to the prom is not necessary. Everyone is different.

18. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

I made it the 30 days. Within a week after I began watching anime again. It didn't take long to begin speeding through my backlog. With that out of the way I started going through shows I'd normally wouldn't watch and shows I previously watched. I got in the groove and didn't stop. Last night I ended up masturbating for the first time in ages. While I believe the anime wasn't the main reason I masturbated I do believe the binge mindset made it easier for me to make the slip.

19. Anime's are very ecchi still. I started watching a title called Tenchi Muyo! Ryou - Oki. One from my childhood and always a favorite. It has a very childish but adult sense to it. I also remember back then I was heavily into Manga. It really did take my mind off P when I got sucked into a novel. I don't regret spending countless hours reading fantastic stories. I'm having trouble for being quarantine for a few days, but today feels different.