1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lord of the Rings Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by RiseToGreatness, Sep 22, 2019.

Should the Thread Title be extended?

Poll closed Jun 21, 2020.
  1. No, leave like that: "The Lord of the Rings Challenge"

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: The Fellowship of Nofap"

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: Rising Fellowship of Eärendil"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: The Journey to Mount Doom"

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Yes. "The Lord of the Rings Challenge: The Quest of the Ring-bearer"

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RiseToGreatness

RiseToGreatness Fapstronaut

Welcome to Middle Earth brother!! :)

tenor.gif

2. RiseToGreatness

RiseToGreatness Fapstronaut

Checking in Fellowship.

very difficult night for me. i forgot to do my workout, and so i did it a bit before going to bed. terrible idea, since getting pumped is counter to falling asleep. so afterwards i had this terrible insomnia night, i tried to sleep several times, but couldn´t make it. i meditate, drink tea, read a lot, everything, i even did a walk around the block at 3 am in the freezing night!!

during all that time, the addiction tried to take hold and lure me into the "nuclear bomb solution". eventually at 4 am i caved to that and start watching nudes on tv. luckly my wife woke up and storm the living room before i did anything stupid. luckly for me.

we had a small argument, i lied to not stir things up: "i´m just chilling waiting for sleep to appear". but i became afraid of her suspictions, so i follow her to bed.

eventually i fall asleep by exaustion at 5 am. i sleep maybe 2/3 hours. so today i´m totally ko, and gonna stay away from all screens, even tv, and only engage when there´s people near by.

i learned to not workout in the plain night, that´s a recipe for insomnia. but i still don´t know how to handle insomnia itself. most of my latest relapses happened at dawn when i couldn´t sleep.

give me some suggestions brothers. thanks

have a good day.

3. Slider8

Slider8 Fapstronaut

To save yourself from being down mentally :
    1st) You have to track your feeling down mood to the thought(s) that have caused it
    2nd)Move your attention on the opposite thought and keep it there for as long as you need to become at peace and hopeful.
    e.g. If you feel lonely think about yourself being in the company you enjoy being at, then make a plan to see it done and do something,take at least a first step to make your faith alive!;)

4. Slider8

Slider8 Fapstronaut

I am the same boat brother, yesterday I did 2 hours workout before bed and mostly sleepless night-10 hours in bed but attention is quite jumpy and comprehension took a turn for the worse too. Coupled with some ?cold? symptoms so I had to take aspirin at 1am....Although it wasn't always like this, I guess it's our stage of recovery that influences what strain we can harmlessly endure without consequences to our health.(maybe it's a good idea to try and repeat it at 90 and at 150 days to see if the effect of workout before bed stays the same?)
    I think it's a good idea to be moderately active through the day, solve problems in life worrying you, find the right diet(including timing and amount of meals) and make peace with people in your life( it is a good idea to say a prayer too:))
    Hope this will be helpful to you.

5. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

Day 2 post vasectomy
    I did 2hrs of dancing, I rode my motorcycle. No discomfort. I'm sitting no problem. Almost feeling completely normal.

6. nerdy_owl

nerdy_owl Fapstronaut

Day 14!
    Today is a new chanllage,I almost reach my goal to be a hobbit and start the journey to destroy the PMO ring.

7. nerdy_owl

nerdy_owl Fapstronaut

Good for you bro!, and how did you make the desition to do the vasectomy process? Do you have family? or you don't want childrens never? I'm thinking about to do it for me too.

8. Slider8

Slider8 Fapstronaut

a liitle refresher from the past year on meditation +:
    ...and this is plus for those lost, as we all are ;):

9. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

No kids, the decision came after I met many girls. Analysed womens nature. I discussed it with my father. I think love perfect romantic love can't exist. Women are too mundane to achieve a mutual spiritual path with me.

Having a child is not my dream. I've only considered it because women, most of them really want kids.

Also I don't know if my kids will turn out a pain in the butt no matter how I raise them. It is a bit of luck or the lack of it.

So seeing the lack of spiritual depth of women, the experiences my dad had all his life in the search of love and never found it. The hundreds of girls I've met, the other many analysis I made of couples and how that wasn't so great. Also my obsession with self improvement, job and being happy and independent. Then I realiced I need no kids or wife, I'm perfectly happy as I am now.

10. Prophet Moonstruck

Prophet Moonstruck Fapstronaut

Have you tried the 4-7-8 Breathing, (I've just read about it a couple of minutes earlier lol), it helps with sleep as much as "nuclear bomb solution" apparently. I never tried it personally yet.
    ou can practice 4-7-8 breathing anywhere and at any time. When you're first learning, try to practice at least twice a day, but you can do it as often as you want. Only do it for four cycles in a row in the beginning. After you get used to it, you can work up to eight cycles. You may feel lightheaded at first, but this will pass.

1. Find a comfortable place to sit with your back straight.
    2. Place your tongue against the back of your top teeth and keep it there.
    3. Exhale completely through your mouth around your tongue, making a whoosh sound. Purse your lips if it helps.
    4. Close your lips and inhale through your nose for a count of four.
    5. Hold your breath for a count of seven.
    6. Exhale completely through your mouth making a whoosh sound for a count of eight.
    7. This completes one cycle. Repeat for three more cycles.
    Do 4-7-8 breathing anytime you feel stressed. It will become more powerful as you use it. Practice doing it before you respond to an upsetting situation and whenever you're having trouble getting to sleep.

11. Prophet Moonstruck

Prophet Moonstruck Fapstronaut

Yeah working out before bed is always a bad idea. The blood starts flowing and the hunt has begun.

12. crazyhorse11

crazyhorse11 Fapstronaut

Checking in friends - delighted to report that I'm only 1 day from Hobbiton
    Some faint urges during menial domestic tasks today which I was able to nip in the bud reminding myself that I had a reward waiting for me so no need to run

I committed to appending a FASTER/ BLASSTED trigger plan to the trigger list above, so here I go. I am a bit run down so forgive me just typing as the stuff comes into my mind - I'll refine it at a later date...

F - forgetting priorities
    bored
    Once I am conscious of this I will check if I need rest and if so I will take it, if not I will get busy on tasks but setting myself low bar tasks so as to not feel overwhelmed

A - Anxiety - Loneliness - Fantasy
    I have started staying with reality more, not running from its taste, remind myself this is where I want to be, this is where it is at, real satisfaction/ freedom can only be found in reality.

Similar to @Redemptionisrequired 's post above about facing the underlying issues, this stage is a call / a trigger to embrace, rather than run from, the pain

S - Speeding Up -Stressing
    Caught myself doing this this week - When I am in this state the last thing I want to do is slow down, but this is what I have been doing, accepting wherever I am, and slowing down, realising it is not as bad as my mind is telling me, it is just an ingrained habit

This is a big cue to turn and face the thing that is stressing me. If it is too big, then break into bitesized chunks and build in rewards (need to revisit posts on rewards)

T - Ticked OFF
    Went straight to this phase this weekend when some deep wounds opened related to my mother's self destructive streak and how this causes so much suffering to those that love her
    I needed to just rest and be very gentle with myself and remind myself that the urges are here because of a desire to escape this most fundamental reality - the psychological harm suffered by the self destruction of those we love - this cannot be medicated with anger only acceptance. Also it is a cue to take a look in the mirror I guess, and see all who I have harmed throughout my own life through my own life and the various bad habits I had, be they physical like drinking, psychological like narcissism, omission like work avoidance, etc..

E - Exhausted - self doubting
    Stop stop stop - rest -take time off - just drop what it is I think is so important (it ain't)

R - Relapse - depressed
    Do not Binge - get back on the saddle asap - P creates the hole that it claims to fill

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  13. Luffystop

Luffystop Fapstronaut

14. devsMind

devsMind Fapstronaut

20 - Hobbit, finally reached that Bree and certainly need to get some good nonalcoholic Ale! :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

On top of that it was very productive, active and full of fun Day, even spontaneously meditated at some point - 10/10. :D
    —Side Quests—
    :emoji_lifter:Workout - Check :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:
    :emoji_cloud_snow:ColdShower - Check :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:
    :emoji_watermelon:HealthyDiet - Check :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:
    :emoji_chart_with_upwards_trend:Learning - Check :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:
    :emoji_atom:SideProject - Check :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:
    :emoji_non-potable_water:NoAlcohol - Check :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:
    :emoji_no_mobile_phones:NoYoutube - Check :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

15. Mathman1994

Mathman1994 Fapstronaut

Day 1 - Orc

I am 2 days free from P and 1 day free from MO. I relapsed after half a month which really sucks, and I have not been on the forums in a few days. I guess I felt defeated after my relapse. I wrote for about two hours last night, though I did not accomplish my other goals, and then I played my switch until 12:30AM. I watched YouTube until 2AM or so, though I fell asleep long before then and woke up to turn it off and go back to sleep. I then slept until 2pm today. Definitely not ideal of course, but I intend to accomplish more of my goals tonight and then get to bed early and up by 6:15AM tomorrow morning so that I can dance, eat breakfast, and head to school by 7:15AM. I will then work on homework and then go to class at 9:30AM. I think my relapse was a blessing in disguise though. I had fallen behind on my life goals, and now I can get back on top of them. It does suck that I could not have better engaged with them on my own, without falling down, but as some have said previously in this challenge, we don't relapse for no reason. There is always a variety of steps that lead to it. Those include not meeting our healthy living goals and then of course failing to engage with our healthy coping skills in the hours leading up to PMO.

So I am on Day 1 and starting over.

Best,
    Mathman1994

16. Toni7

Toni7 Fapstronaut

17. kaerhal

kaerhal Fapstronaut

Day 9

Brilliant day at church today, great to spend time amongst my friends and working alongside some very talented people, makes me really grateful for the vocation God has called me to.

Found myself able to snap out of unhealthy thoughts within split seconds today - I hope I can continue this as I continue my journey with prayer and worship.

18. Kairose

Kairose Fapstronaut

Thank you a lot! I'll try to do first legs then arms and finally core next time! And I don't know that guy so I'll search him.later!

Don't think I need gradually increasing exposure or time because I showered 10 min in day 2 lol.
    I think it was easy for me because it's hot in my country.
    I hope I can still shower like I'm doing in winter lol

19. Kairose

Kairose Fapstronaut

Day 122.. hard day. God loves us all!

Gonna make exercise to feel better and reduce probabilities of falling

20. Firelord Zuko

Firelord Zuko Fapstronaut

Day 1 - Nazgul. hahahahaha I loved this challenge.